Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

I hear you Pàdruig and I thank you for the tip. I'm afraid I'm at the mercy of the forum moderators then as it will be they who remove the word if deemed offensive.
I wonder with the inclusion of the fada in your name are you a fellow countryman? Most American Irish wouldn't have it! In Cork myself and I raise my glass of smokey Islay goodness to you:)

Though I am an American, I am not too far departed - my granddad is from County Tyrone. I am an enthusiast of the language so I like to do things proper - Patrick is my middle name.

Thank you for at least considering it.
To some of us, it is more offensive than any other word or phrase.
At least now I know that your vocabulary choices are more important to you.
John, I mostly lurk here and mean no harm but do wish to have a reasonable range of expression in how I communicate, within bounds obviously. To me that's in bounds but mods may disagree and direct a course of action.

Though I am an American, I am not too far departed - my granddad is from County Tyrone. I am an enthusiast of the language so I like to do things proper - Patrick is my middle name.
Pàdruig you most likely speak more of it than I! Unfortunately I've forgotten what little was rammed down our throats as kids. It was taught by rote, poorly in retrospect, without an understanding of why we should speak it. Would love to speak more now.
BTW I have read some of your postings on old Sheffield folders, very interesting!

Pàdruig you most likely speak more of it than I! Unfortunately I've forgotten what little was rammed down our throats as kids. It was taught by rote, poorly in retrospect, without an understanding of why we should speak it. Would love to speak more now.
BTW I have read some of your postings on old Sheffield folders, very interesting!

It is a lovely language and one that is close to dying, I fear.

With regards to Sheffield cutlery, my meager knowledge comes from what I have gleaned from our resident expert, @Jack Black. What he has to say about cutlery, the firms throughout history, and industry in Sheffield as a whole is remarkable and could likely fill a number of books.

Last edited:
Terrible pic. Great Ale.
LWUC45A.jpg

John, I mostly lurk here and mean no harm but do wish to have a reasonable range of expression in how I communicate, within bounds obviously. To me that's in bounds but mods may disagree and direct a course of action.
I understand, but in my opinion your language clearly violates the rules of the traditional forum. I agree with JohnDF JohnDF

That's fantastic, Barrett! I echo the sentiments regarding Nick Offerman. I have a Lagavulin 9 year that is a Game of Thrones edition - it definitely is different than the 16 but no less pleasant.

I almost bought a bottle of the GOT 9 year the other day. I’ve heard it’s not bad, and it costs less than the 16, where the Offerman 11 year was a bit higher in price.

Well, December 11th has brought me another unopened bottle. Unfortunately, I was not as excited about this one as I was last night’s dram. I’ll let this guy tell you about it…

qWhgpWy.jpg

Ron Burgundy “Great Odin’s Raven” Special Reserve Scotchy Scotch Scotch. Why did I buy this? I don’t know. Just because it existed? I’m not sure I ever intended on actually drinking it, but then I was putting together this DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar and figured, “Hey, why not?”

fcaBDn7.jpg

It is drinkable, which is probably the highest compliment I would have expected to give this. It’s a bit too sweet, and not particularly interesting. There is a slight hint of peat (the back of the bottle notes that it’s a blend of Speyside, Highlands and Islay whiskies). The back of the bottle also promises a long finish, which this whisky most certainly does not have. For what it is, it could certainly be worse, but it ain’t great.

It is a lovely language and one that is close to dying, I fear.

With regards to Sheffield cutlery, my meager knowledge comes from what I have gleaned from our resident expert, @Jack Black. What he has to say about cutlery, the firms throughout history, and industry in Sheffield as a whole is remarkable and could likely fill a number of books.
I can still parrot off my Leaving Certificate (high school diploma) Irish Oral spoken portion of the exam. To this day my score is a low tide mark in my academic achievement lol.
These days my kids are being taught it correctly, via an appreciation of the culture and language. They love using it.
Yes, Jack's posts are a gold mine of info for me too! The picture thread of all the old factories a highlight thread I return to a lot.

It was just a polite suggestion, do as you please. Have a great day.
I will try John but rain is forecast for what feels like the next decade here!

Good strong stuff :thumbsup: Moreover, really like the look of that Horn knife, well worn but well worth it :cool:

Regards, Will
A previous night's sharpening of a horn Vulcan T Ellin with my fave strong brew. I'm very fond of my Trappiste ale as you can see.

I understand, but in my opinion your language clearly violates the rules of the traditional forum. I agree with JohnDF JohnDF
I'm sure a mod will be in touch shortly John but I won't be changing that post, sorry. I hope it won't stop us appreciating our common interest if I'm left remain, I've enjoyed reading your posts for a long time.

I almost bought a bottle of the GOT 9 year the other day. I’ve heard it’s not bad, and it costs less than the 16, where the Offerman 11 year was a bit higher in price.

Well, December 11th has brought me another unopened bottle. Unfortunately, I was not as excited about this one as I was last night’s dram. I’ll let this guy tell you about it…

qWhgpWy.jpg

Ron Burgundy “Great Odin’s Raven” Special Reserve Scotchy Scotch Scotch. Why did I buy this? I don’t know. Just because it existed? I’m not sure I ever intended on actually drinking it, but then I was putting together this DIY whisk(e)y advent calendar and figured, “Hey, why not?”

fcaBDn7.jpg

It is drinkable, which is probably the highest compliment I would have expected to give this. It’s a bit too sweet, and not particularly interesting. There is a slight hint of peat (the back of the bottle notes that it’s a blend of Speyside, Highlands and Islay whiskies). The back of the bottle also promises a long finish, which this whisky most certainly does not have. For what it is, it could certainly be worse, but it ain’t great.
I love your reasoning on why you bought Ron's Whisky lol. I chuckled. Do you adopt any of Ron's behavioural traits when drinking it?
I bought my first bottle of Lagavulin 16 the day my son was born and it lasted five years with a good half gone toasting him with friends and family at the Christening.
I must set aside a few quid to save for another, it represents a perfect balance of peat flavour and heat that dethroned my old fave Laphroaig.

I can still parrot off my Leaving Certificate (high school diploma) Irish Oral spoken portion of the exam. To this day my score is a low tide mark in my academic achievement lol.
These days my kids are being taught it correctly, via an appreciation of the culture and language. They love using it.
Yes, Jack's posts are a gold mine of info for me too! The picture thread of all the old factories a highlight thread I return to a lot.

I will try John but rain is forecast for what feels like the next decade here!

A previous night's sharpening of a horn Vulcan T Ellin with my fave strong brew. I'm very fond of my Trappiste ale as you can see.

I'm sure a mod will be in touch shortly John but I won't be changing that post, sorry. I hope it won't stop us appreciating our common interest if I'm left remain, I've enjoyed reading your posts for a long time.

I love your reasoning on why you bought Ron's Whisky lol. I chuckled. Do you adopt any of Ron's behavioural traits when drinking it?
I bought my first bottle of Lagavulin 16 the day my son was born and it lasted five years with a good half gone toasting him with friends and family at the Christening.
I must set aside a few quid to save for another, it represents a perfect balance of peat flavour and heat that dethroned my old fave Laphroaig.
Laphroaig is my favourite right now. Guess I have to get some Lagavulin.

PT-Luso, I would enjoy a dram of that warmed by the stove for a minute or two.
Had a bottle of 12 a few yrs back that was lovely on the nose. What's the 18 like?
Anyone dig single pot still Irish Redbreast or Powers John Lane? Yum.

Started using the Covid purchase infra red thermometer to ensure its at 9 deg C before drinking:rolleyes::)

Laphroaig is my favourite right now. Guess I have to get some Lagavulin.

Definitely! :D :thumbsup:

December 12th. Back to bourbon.

xMuCE9m.jpg

Four Roses Small Batch, to be exact. I’m of the opinion that you can get some really good bourbon without spending too much money, and this (along with the Elijah Craig Small Batch from 12/1, the Old Grand-Dad Bonded from 12/4 and several others) is a great example of that. This is an excellent bourbon, and around here it comes in at just under $30.

3XW64tv.jpg

December 13th. It’s bourbon again tonight, and another good one…

ZsUGSIz.jpg

Eagle Rare. Now a lot of the bourbons that have come up so far are fairly new to me. I only recently (in the last couple years) started branching out a bit with bourbon and trying different things. But this is one I’ve been enjoying for quite a while, and it’s still towards the top of my list. Like a lot of Buffalo Trace products, finding it on the shelf can be hit or miss lately. Thankfully I have an extra bottle stashed away whenever this one runs out. ;)

I’ve heard the 17 year is very good, but that one is like hen’s teeth. I’ve never seen a bottle of it anywhere.

tYihzp1.jpg

Back