Beverages and Blades - Traditional of Course

Now… curious thing about tonight’s bier. I noticed that the label on this one was, in fact, a label that was wrapped around the can rather than printed directly on it. Not that unusual, I’ve certainly seen small breweries (especially ones just getting started) here in the US that use a label on top of a blank can. Out of curiosity, I started to peel off the label, and what I found underneath was a can for a completely different beer (although of the same style) from a different brewery, Bürgerliches Brauhaus Altbairisch Hell. Interesting. I’m not really sure what to make of that. 🧐
That's surprising and weird, Barrett! :eek:o_O I'll have to start "label-peeling" on some cans I have with the stick-on labels to see if I discover anything similar to your experience.

I'm looking forward to the beer advent reports you and Dylan are doing this month! :thumbsup: :cool::cool::thumbsup: I'll jump on that anti-Weißbier bandwagon the two of you (and Will Power Will Power ) are riding. 🤓

- GT

This evening's sipping choice...almost out though...

Accompanied by an Imperial scout :thumbsup:

pKy1Jtg.jpg

Tonight’s offering from the German Brewer’s Advent Calendar is HusarenTrunk from Schloßbrauerei Rheder. This dark-gold-almost-amber Märzen is the darkest beer from the calendar so far (which, of course, isn’t saying much). It’s also a bit more substantial than the other offerings up to this point, with more body and more flavor. I’ve had better Märzens/Oktoberfests, but this one is really solid. Prost! 🍺

2X6ej4s.jpg

This evening's sipping choice...almost out though...

Accompanied by an Imperial scout :thumbsup:

pKy1Jtg.jpg
Nice knife! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:
I've picked up a couple of old Imperial scouts in the past couple of years. Now I've got to get some imperial stouts as beverages to pair with them. 🤓

- GT

For day 5 of the German Brewer’s Advent Calendar I’ve got the aptly named Der Schwarze Bock by Kraftbierwerkstatt. It has a nice toasty malt flavor, not much bitterness to speak of, an easy-drinking 6.2% ABV (a bit higher than the other beers so far). I think under better lighting the color would be more of a dark amber than “schwarz.” Like the other beers so far (except, for me, the Weißbier), this is a solid beer I wouldn’t mind drinking several of. Perhaps not the most exciting or unique brews, but good stuff nonetheless.

VKsn9CP.jpg

I am having to report Day 4 and Day 5 a bit late as I am not on the forums much over the weekends.

When I retrieved the Day 4 option, I was a bit perplexed and it drew a chuckle from me. Bear in mind, this box was specially curated by my wife (with some help from my daughter and a friend). She knows that Lagers are not my go-to beer and that I did not want a repeat of last year's Advent - still, what do I find but a Pilsner to greet me for Day 4 🤔.

Project Pilsner from Gigantic Brewing Company in Portland, OR (complete with "limited edition" art). This one is actually quite good and a bit more hop forward than most Pilsners I have had. Since I was doing quite a bit of outside work on Saturday, this crisp, hoppy Pilsner was a welcome treat after the chores were done.

My wife was pretty delighted with her "joke" and she assured me that I would not find anymore of this type for the rest of the month 😁.

(Day 5 to follow)

NBjskN4.jpg

I am having to report Day 4 and Day 5 a bit late as I am not on the forums much over the weekends.

When I retrieved the Day 4 option, I was a bit perplexed and it drew a chuckle from me. Bear in mind, this box was specially curated by my wife (with some help from my daughter and a friend). She knows that Lagers are not my go-to beer and that I did not want a repeat of last year's Advent - still, what do I find but a Pilsner to greet me for Day 4 🤔.

Project Pilsner from Gigantic Brewing Company in Portland, OR (complete with "limited edition" art). This one is actually quite good and a bit more hop forward than most Pilsners I have had. Since I was doing quite a bit of outside work on Saturday, this crisp, hoppy Pilsner was a welcome treat after the chores were done.

My wife was pretty delighted with her "joke" and she assured me that I would not find anymore of this type for the rest of the month 😁.

(Day 5 to follow)

NBjskN4.jpg

Well played by your wife! 😁

This was Day 5 (yesterday's brew that I am drinking right now). My daughter claimed credit for this particular draft. As she is not of drinking age, she went by the can artwork (I can't imagine why).

Playafication - a Northeast-Style Hazy IPA, made by Revision Brewing Co., out of Sparks, Nevada. This one is good but I also am a bit partial to NE style IPAs, they aren't the hop bombs that we create out west here and you can actually enjoy the flavors underneath the hops. This one only has 42 IBUs - very, very drinkable.

vSsFcJ3.jpg

Last edited:
Day 6 for me is Zwickl Kellerbier from Herrnbräu. Kellerbier is German for “cellar beer,” and it’s essentially an unfiltered, unpasteurized lager. I don’t have much experience with Kellerbier, but I’m not finding this one particularly exciting. Maybe tomorrow will bring something better.

uAkegQ9.jpg

This was Day 5 (yesterday's brew that I am drinking right now). My daughter claimed credit for this particular draft. As she is not of drinking age, she went by the can artwork (I can't imagine why).

Playafication - a Northeast-Style Hazy IPA, made by Revision Brewing Co., out of Sparks, Nevada. This one is good but I also am a bit partial to NE style IPAs, they aren't the hop bombs that we create out west here and you can actually enjoy the flavors underneath the hops. This one only has 42 IBUs - very, very drinkable.

vSsFcJ3.jpg
Revision is really making a reputation for themselves with their Hazy IPA’s. I’ve had that one, it’s pretty good! Tell your daughter, great choice! 👍

Day 6 for me is Zwickl Kellerbier from Herrnbräu. Kellerbier is German for “cellar beer,” and it’s essentially an unfiltered, unpasteurized lager. I don’t have much experience with Kellerbier, but I’m not finding this one particularly exciting. Maybe tomorrow will bring something better.

uAkegQ9.jpg

If I recall correctly, I had that same beer in my advent last year. I didn't find it amazing but what I did find of interest was the history behind the Kellerbier style - definitely an Old World approach to beer making.

Revision is really making a reputation for themselves with their Hazy IPA’s. I’ve had that one, it’s pretty good! Tell your daughter, great choice! 👍

I will definitely let her know, Taylor. She will get a kick out of that.

Back