Bicycles!

I have to work in the industry just to keep myself in bikes. Same with the knife industry I guess :)

My ghetto bike stand. $15 worth of parts from Home Depot and I already had the tube clamp. It's not pretty but it works.
ahg7dQE.jpg

EWs0ZYz.jpg

My ghetto bike stand. $15 worth of parts from Home Depot and I already had the tube clamp. It's not pretty but it works.
ahg7dQE.jpg

EWs0ZYz.jpg
Whatever works!
That looks effective though.
I really need something seeing as I'm usually working off the Saris rack on the back of my car with a couple of velcro straps on the top tube.
Nice sunny place to work but, it's not always sunny when I need to work, and when it's sunny, you know, there's riding to be done.
Another issue is size and portability of a stand and I just know that a portable folding stand will just tick me off as it scoots across the floor as I'm driving out a press-fit bottom bracket.
I want a real stand but don't have the space.

ahg7dQE.jpg

EWs0ZYz.jpg

now there's some ingeniuty!

one cheap and effective work station solution is to thread 2 steel eyelets into the ceiling joists about 3" apart and hang ratchet straps from them, which hook on to your saddle and stem. Doubles as bike storage, too. If you're looking for an anti sway option, add and additional fastener to the floor and a third ratchet strap to hold everything in tension

There is Hope... (4 pot caliper) back on the rear.

j62rjIw.jpg

And my eclipse photo. ;)

dIUudZW.jpg

Not action shots, more showing up a nice forum knife grab with one hobby posing with another hobby.

vCV3dkel.jpg

2Z1m59Pl.jpg

damn, you don't sit on your bike with that on there, do you?! If so, you're a much harder man than me

damn, you don't sit on your bike with that on there, do you?! If so, you're a much harder man than me

Specificity training, getting the other muscles groups a workout for those out of the saddle efforts... or about 1/2 of CX race it seems. The poke reminds you to not slack off, old Belgian trick ;). The rounded sheepsfoot is my way of cheating as it pokes a little less.

Disclaimer: this statement is for entertainment purposes only and anyone that trains in such a fashion could be injured and does so at their own risk.

Got my pedals.
BTnBTi2.jpg

...and the rest of the bike was picked up at the border yesterday, so the build starts today and I get my new bike Saturday.

A quick question for those in the know. I picked up a pair of 5.10 Hellcats at Sportcheck on clearance but I am on the fence about keeping them. They are designed for clipless pedals but I am running flats and am not sure if this will be an issue. I did make up some rubber inserts that I could install were the cut out for the clips go but.... I was wondering what you guys with more experience think. I can still return them as long as I don't wear them.
http://www.fiveten.com/us/hellcat-black-lime

Got my pedals.
BTnBTi2.jpg

...and the rest of the bike was picked up at the border yesterday, so the build starts today and I get my new bike Saturday.

A quick question for those in the know. I picked up a pair of 5.10 Hellcats at Sportcheck on clearance but I am on the fence about keeping them. They are designed for clipless pedals but I am running flats and am not sure if this will be an issue. I did make up some rubber inserts that I could install were the cut out for the clips go but.... I was wondering what you guys with more experience think. I can still return them as long as I don't wear them.
http://www.fiveten.com/us/hellcat-black-lime
I ran those pedals for a while with good results. They're still around somewhere in my great big box of flats waiting for me to track down a rebuild kit.
I get sidetracked when looking for the rebuild kits though and just buy another set of pedals. Lazy, maybe, but there's just something about shiny new pedals. Just installed new VP's on my primary user last week.

And for the 5.10's, you'd be better off with the Freeriders.
The clipless shoes are heavy with all the extra bits in the soles.
I wore Maltese Falcons for a while when I had a mix of flats and clipless installed but went with a flat specific shoe when the Speedplay Frogs crapped out.
Also I don't know how waterproof the Hellcats are but the Falcons would soak up every drop of water and I swear they would weigh 2 pounds each, and take 3 days to dry. Just awful.

do not use clipless specific shoes with flat pedals unless you really enjoy crashing. Freeriders are good, but Freerider Contacts are better

do not use clipless specific shoes with flat pedals unless you really enjoy crashing. Freeriders are good, but Freerider Contacts are better
The Hellcats are like my old 5.10 Maltese Falcons, when there's no cleat attached they're just a grippy flats shoe.
But heavy and unnecessary if running flats only.
And thanks for the heads up on the Freerider Contacts. I got away from 5.10s a while back but they look good. Maybe time for a shiny new pair of shoes!

problem with clipless specific shoes is that they are too stiff to be able to grip your pedals, very easy to bounce off your pedals since the shoes provide almost no shock absorbtion or flex

Thanks guys looks like the shoes are going back. Figures that the stuff on sale never works for your needs. I'll probably just stick to my old Morel hikers that I've been using as they have a pretty grippy sole for now and wait for a deal again.

Anyways since this is a knife forum I thought I would try and post an album with a bit of a comparison testing with my EDC. I tried making some inserts for the shoes just for the heck of it (before I decided to return them)using some leftover flooring from a job I did. The product was a very thick dense rubber that is used in workout/weight room applications. I think it may be made out of recycled tires but am not %100 sure on that but I do know it was a bitch to cut. There are no descriptions on the pictures but you can see that I tried using heavy scissors, a razor blade style knife and my EDC to do the job and the EDC won hands down. The razor blade basically bounced off the rubber, the scissors would cut with a lot of force but left a terrible edge crumbling the material apart as much as cutting it and the EDC managed quite well, although splitting the material in half was tricky and time consuming. There is a link below this picture to the full album.
EeYb4H4.jpg

This link will take you to the album.
http://imgur.com/a/bTwAy

Back