Bicycles!

Here's the latest update on my build with a few pictures. I was supposed to pick up the bike today but looks like tomorrow or Monday now...ohh well.

Hi Tucker,

I tried to get the bike done tonight, but it will be another day of building. It’s looking really really good. Some friends stopped by, that are fat bikers and they were impressed with the bike. They especially liked how all the colours go together and also the components. The Shimano SLX parts are really top notch. I think my next bike will have them.

Today I was able to reseat the tires from tubes and convert to tubeless. Added sealant. They held air on the first try. Sometimes, they leak for a weak if you rush it out of the box and the tires still have fold kinks in them. I let them lay flat for a day unfolded, then mounted them tubed for a day at 30PSI to form into the rim beads… then went tubeless today and zero air loss. Taking in a process, allows them to seal better.

Brakes – cut the lines, so they look all nice and aligned now. Centered the rotors and pads. Bled the brakes and adjusted the clamping force and lever positions so both right and left are in unison… usually no one does that last steps, except for race-spec applications.

Torques – All bolts throughout the bike were re-torqued to specs.

Crankset – It’s installed precisely to spec and no play at all. If done hastily, this type of crank could expand a bit and you’d get play in the spacers within a few days of riding. I made sure it is not going to happen. The trick is to get the spacers torqued just right, so they compress within 0.5mm of a certain number across the frame bottom bracket dropouts.

Suspension fork. I toyed with measurements a few times, from what I took off your bike, and mine, and your body dimensions and found that if I changed the spacers in the headset, that I think we can get a full 110mm out of the fork travel, without having to reduce it to 100mm for full steering control. I will let you test it out and if you want it lower, I can always take it apart and change it… The goal is to get the bars just a bike lower than the seat post, with the way you had your last bike setup and how you liked the setup on mine.

Dropper post – still need to install and configure. As I mentioned before, there were several heights to chose from. I gave Fatback the numbers, and wanted maximum available space used, without it running into the frame seat collar. We are going to get that to within 1in of max travel … which means you will get up to 15cm of dropper post “drop” when needed. This is the max possible and perfectly fits with the frame selection.

Drivetrain. It’s installed, but needs to be configured and chain added. Then shifting needs to be tuned.

Then add the saddle, and some test pedals and I take it for a test ride and then call you when it’s ready… so I am thinking Sunday it should be ready by around noon, as I have an event I need to attend on Saturday in Hamilton/McMaster. Then family dinner.

Otb9gXf.jpg

PXw8U7p.jpg

tLFrNM2.jpg

Hbp0juq.jpg

zQ96nvs.jpg

IqmF2ua.jpg

I hope you're going to put a dropper post on it!

I hope you're going to put a dropper post on it!

Absolutely. This is quoted from the above post which was the email I recieved last night. KS Lev Integra.
"Dropper post – still need to install and configure. As I mentioned before, there were several heights to chose from. I gave Fatback the numbers, and wanted maximum available space used, without it running into the frame seat collar. We are going to get that to within 1in of max travel … which means you will get up to 15cm of dropper post “drop” when needed. This is the max possible and perfectly fits with the frame selection."

The bike weighs in at 30lbs right now without the saddle and seat post with 12 oz of sealant. My KHS weighed 41lbs without suspension.

Ok sorry I am posting here so much but it just so happened that my new bike was ordered right around the time this thread started. I picked it up yesterday afternoon and went for an easy ride down the Burlington Beach trail so we could make any final adjustments if needed and then I went for a 12 mile ride through the trails when I got home. I have to say this bike is amazing and the geometry makes it ride like a Ferrari compared to the Dodge I was riding before. Without any seat time on the bike and still very much getting a feel for it, I broke 6 personal records on Strava set two 2nd best times and one 3rd. I have no idea how I rode without front suspension and a dropper post for as long as I did. Here is a link to an interesting article about the founder of Fatback for anyone interested.
https://fat-bike.com/2017/08/the-father-of-the-modern-alaskan-fat-bike-greg-matyas/

and a picture of the new ride
LPFD1ww.jpg

does this bike make my ass look fat?

Signed up for my first ever race/event next weekend. It's a 6 hr event with a 7 km loop that you will run as many times as possible, you can ride solo or in a team of up to 5 people. I will be doing it solo on my fatbike and I am hoping I can do at least 8 laps before I crap out. I did a 12.5 mile ride this morning and broke 7 personal records on my Strava and 15 other "achievements". Here's a picture of a spot on the trail.
Ctqm6WT.jpg

Here was todays ride...https://www.strava.com/activities/1177800049

EDIT...I just went over the math again and I am going to bump that down to 6 laps. Lol

Last edited:
I would have liked those tires when my son and I went for a ride at a nearby ski hill over the weekend.
I'm used to semi-smooth singletrack, and this place was more like a bunch of downhill trials trails.
I'll freely admit I walked the bike through some of the tougher areas. 15 miles of this stuff and I was exhausted!

(the real fun begin about a minute in).

Nice ride robgmn, that looks like a lot of fun !! I would have to go about 2 1/2 hrs North of here to find anything close to that.

been riding and electric assist bike around for the past couple of weeks. Pretty damn awesome. 22km of hilly roads in 45 minutes...

been riding and electric assist bike around for the past couple of weeks. Pretty damn awesome. 22km of hilly roads in 45 minutes...

I tested a Trek Powerfly FS a couple of months ago.
I asked the rep if I could take it for a while and ride my club trails a mile away from the shop and he was extremely agreeable.
Rode it on the roughest, steepest, double black diamondest trails that I normally ride and it performed well.
Almost too well though.
I couldn't stop grinning the entire time.
For a 40+ lb bike it was very nimble and I could get air and hops easily, but I definitely wouldn't want to run out of power.
What a load that would be hauling 5-10 miles of this terrain back to the trailhead.
If I "needed" a power assist bike I'd grab one but until the need arises I'm happy with me power.

I've never really understood that. What's the difference, energy wise, between pedaling a 40 pound bike, or a 30 pound bike and 10 pounds of kit (or ass fat or whatever)? Does it really matter that much when you're just tooling around on the trail?

^ yes, definitely! I could give you a lot of cute and whimsical answers but the scientific answer would be the precise location of the center of gravity according to the mass distribution :p

I've never really understood that. What's the difference, energy wise, between pedaling a 40 pound bike, or a 30 pound bike and 10 pounds of kit (or ass fat or whatever)? Does it really matter that much when you're just tooling around on the trail?
I suppose if I were just tooling around it wouldn't make much difference, or if I had 10 extra pounds of ass.
Most do, but I do not.
Everything in my kit is pared down to minimum requirements including water.(and body fat)
My extremes are my choice and it's become a large part of my life to trail ride every day so I've got a bunch of insight on exactly what it takes to cover a specific length of ride.
It's a healthy pastime and I have been accused of taking it a little to far but wth, if it weren't one thing it would just be another for me to obsess upon.

Generally, heavier bikes are a little harder and tiring to throw around in corners. My experience has been that they really like going straight. Lower CoG helps but then ground clearance can be an issue. In terms of handling, I would rather have 10 pounds on my person than 10 pounds on the bike as it feels more natural to adjust to that weight with the legs than with the bike.

If I have an extra large saddle bag on the bike with the long distance tool kit, tubes, etc. I notice it quite a bit when out of the saddle or trying to stomp up a hill. Worse if it's a poor fitting bag that swings a lot.

As far as pure effort, going up hill the difference is noticeable but not as much as the difference in handling, IMO. Of course, it depends on rider weight as well since it's a ratio thing, a fatty like myself at 220 (race weight, not now) won't notice 10 lbs as much as the 135 lb skinny climber. Also is more noticeable to more tired you are so ride duration comes into play. A 30 lb bike after a 6 hr solo endurance race feels very heavy.

this bike I've been riding is more of an urban, road oriented rig, and the extra weight doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Been thinking of getting one of those fancy duallies for next season to demo...

My bike with "kit" (water, gun, first aid items, Leatherman micra) weighs about 28 lbs.
45 lbs would be VERY noticeable, especially on ascents. Just like carrying a 25 lb versus 45lb backpack.
I could lose about 10lbs, but I carry that around every day and my muscles are used to it.

On a tangent: anyone ever used a budget-priced shock-absorbing seatpost?
And, big props to Zefal. Had my second pump in 6 months fail. With no receipt, I couldn't ask for warranty replacement at store. After an email to Zefal Customer Service, they are sending me a new one.
Hope it lasts!

Last edited:
I was always of the same thinking as Nathan and figured I didn't need to spend all that extra $ to drop the bike weight a few pounds, when I had a few of my own to loose. However my new bike is about 9 lbs lighter than my last bike and I noticed it for sure right away. The biggest advantage in weight loss for me was with the wheel set and tires by going tubeless and buying lighter tires it was that much less weight that I had to try to get spinning up to speed. I entered my first ever race today, it's a 6 hr event that starts at 9 am and I have a feeling that 9 lbs are going to make a big difference by the end of it.

Back