Big knife for a Small Town

if my memory serves..

The Brithish originally fought against the gurhkas in India and I think Nepal as well. A British officer was in battle against him and though his men fled, he stayed to fight. He had come to far just to run away. The gurhkas took him prisoner and respected his courage. This officer (I think!) led the first of the gurhka units in the british army. These units still exist and have taken part in many conflicts in recent history. They aren't an elite force like SAS or Rangers, but they are feared for their courage in battle. During the falkland war, the Chilean soldiers were terrified that Gurhkas would dismember and eat them. I don't know where those rumors were started, but I'm willing to bet it was in Nepal :p

The Brithish originally fought against the gurhkas in India and I think Nepal as well. A British officer was in battle against him and though his men fled, he stayed to fight. He had come to far just to run away. The gurhkas took him prisoner and respected his courage. >>
.. ....

Sometimes one man's courage changes the world. If we could turn a switch on in each one of us; no to gangs, robbers, evil speakers, if even Grandmother would grab a broom we would have our Country back.

Home Boys and Bureacracies work with the same principle; you can't win. There's more of them. One group is beneath the law and therefore does not have to answer to it. One represents the law and does not answer.

Whatever George Bush has or hasn't done, whatever he isn't, I'll always respect him for the speech he made to the Congress after 9-11.
He said we were worth defending. He met it square.

munk

Congrates on the BAS. I like mine too. They grow and grow on ya.

To All the rest of you marines that would rather fight than switch. Semper Fi!!!:D :D :D

Congrates on the BAS. I like mine too. They grow and grow on ya. >>

I was thinking about that. You know all those things you aren't supposed to do with a knfe? Those rules? It's not an axe, not a crowbar, not a shovel,.....: You can do them with the kuhkuri. What's not to like?

It is the knife I want to carry.

munk

Congrats on the first of a long line of magic knives. My first two arrived at the same time and it seemed to be a bit overwhelming, so beautiful and so deadly.

Sure hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

To all the old Marines out there Semper Fi !!!

You're right, Fir. See below.

Subj: The first Gurkhas

Following is an edited excerpt from a piece I did for Crossed Swords, the official Bando newsletter. I thought you would enjoy it. It should make your khukuris mean even more to you.

In the Nepal war of 1812 the British sent a force of 30,000 against 12,000 Gurkhas thinking in their usual arrogance they would take Nepal by storm. Just the opposite proved to be true. The Gurkhas fought the British to a standstill.

For example, during extremely bitter fighting while defending the hill fortress of Kalunga the Gurkhas lost 520 out of 600 defenders but they fought so bravely and so well and the losses they inflicted on the British were so staggering it inspired the British to erect a stone battle monument at Kalunga inscribed with the words:

THEY FOUGHT IN THEIR CONFLICT LIKE MEN AND, IN THE INTERVALS OF ACTUAL CONFLICT, SHOWED US A LIBERAL COURTESY.

But, it was a two way street. In another incident British Lieutenant Frederick Young leading a party of irregulars was surprised by a force of Gurkhas. The irregulars upon seeing the khukuri yielding Gurkha force ran away leaving the British Officers to face the Gurkhas alone.

There was little battle here since the Gurkha force was so superior but the fact that the British Officers had remained to try to hold their ground and had not fled greatly impressed the Gurkhas. They asked Young and his subordinates why they had not also ran away and according to legend Young replied, "I have not come so far to run away. I came to stay." And stay he did. For about a year the Gurkhas held Young captive but during this year the Gurkhas developed a sincere and deep respect for Young and the British fighting spirit which much resembled their own. And, indeed, it was Young himself who was able to recruit the first Gurkhas to serve under the British flag -- 3,000 Gurkhas divided into four battalions. Young went on to serve as the commander of the Sirmoor Battalion of Gurkhas for 28 years and, amazingly, was able to report his battalion service ready after only six months. These were the first Gurkhas, fighting men from the mountain kingdom of Nepal -- Rai, Magars, Limbu, Gurung and Sunwar tribesmen. Small of stature, large of heart, accustomed to hardship, good natured with a keen sense of humor, loyal to death, more disciplined than any fighting force in the world, brave and capable, and absolutely without fear.

The same can be said for every Gurkha to come down the line since those first Gurkhas and for every Gurkha in service today.

Munk,
Don't believe all these guys!There is no reason for you to go "nuts" & buy more than one or maybe two K's!:D
jim :cool:

Clifton, you and your pals swoop so many so quickly it is improbable I could buy more than one or two. Even with my limit of funds, I'm 45 now, oops, day shy of 46, which leaves many many years of quietly obtaining a Khukuri here and there. So here's to the longeveity of munk and HI.

Bill that was a nice bit of history. Looks like I'll be doing some reading. The story is tremendous and must be read. The days when you were allowed to bring back your dead and wounded under truce.

I'll never be a Gurkha, though. Without fear? Closest thing we have to that is Marines. My understanding is they conquer fear, make fear a friend.

munk

munk,
All I have is two K's let,a Tarwar, & a Katana!Sniff,gave the others away! If you decide to give your K away, please remember this "poor old researcher" I promise to give it a good home!! :rolleyes: I figure you must be feeling a little sorry for me,so if it makes you feel better,just have Bill send me a couple of K's!!
jim

Clifton, you remind me of the forum host on the Shooting and Hunting forum on About.com. He has the smoothest style I've ever seen. Like a character out of a Dickens novel. "Please Sir, if you're not using it, would you be so kind as to give me a gun?"

munk

Sniff!!:( Anyone else "wanting to give their K's away",just send them to meat Jim's "Collection for the Fellowship",I will see that they find good homes!:D
jim

Of course. It's humanitarian work you do. A better and higher calling. Selfless sacrafise.

You need a Federal grant. We can milk this cow.

What is your Katana (sic?) like?

munk

EER,AH!Munk ,WE SEEM TO BE HAVING A SMALL FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE HERE!!"Fed. Grant"!! "Milk this COW"??:eek: You seem to insinuate that I'm running a CON!!!Where, pray tell are you getting THAT IDEA!!I'm honest & I have no hidden agenda!!:rolleyes:
jim

OOPs. YOu don't know my humor yet. Of course there is no con.

I thought we were having fun, you know, you ask for free kives so sweetly I thought you should have a charitable grant for your endveavors!! JOke!

So, how do you like your katana? (sic)

munk

Sniff!! Anyone else "wanting to give their K's away",just send them to meat Jim's "Collection for the Fellowship",I will see that they find good homes

The caveman's "recruiting drive" falls on deaf ears once again:p

All I have is two K's let,a Tarwar, & a Katana!Sniff,gave the others away

Get out your hipwaders AND umbrellas kids, its raining B.S. and it'll get worse before it gets better;) :D

munk,
You are fitting right in with the Wild Bunch(cantina Regs.)!The Katana is A-ok!!Been doing M/A for a looong time,my first Katana,I,repeat,I am NOT a Sword Guy BUT this HI Katana has really blown me away!! Ck. with a couple of makers they want&3,000 to $3,500
for one!! If I was going to spend that!! Well never mind,I like the HI JUST FINE & DON'T BE SURPRISED IF I GET "ONE" MORE!:D
jim:cool:
ps- so when should I expect your K!hee!

Bill,
Don't want to see munk,THAT CRAZY TRANSPLANTED HAWAIIAN,& AC be tempted & upset! SOOOO just send the next HI Katana(will prob. be plain no mirror finish,VERY SHARP etc.)right to me ! Don't even put a pic up!! hee,hee! Just say Katana gone to the Cave!HEE! BWAAAA!
jim(the Saint, who keeps others from being tempted,Rog that also includes you!):cool:

THAT CRAZY TRANSPLANTED HAWAIIAN

What? you like make scrap, brah?;) :D you one lolo head Tsimi, too much pacalolo growin by dah cave brah;) You need go holoholo before you pressha out bruddah!!:D

Tsimi
As an Evil Genius I have the expanded brain capacity to see that if you only saw the light of Reason, you'd see that research is useless unless you acknowledge the existance of HIKV!
Join me and help MauiRob spread the light. As he is the only true Saint, he is uniquely qualified to show you the truth. Allow me to introduce

drumroll

The Center for Light and Reason! The Center's Director ME, aka Dr. E. is available for those in need of support and enlightenment.
Tsimi is April's poster child. Remember " A khukuri is a terrible thing to waste"
Donations can be made in the form of heartfelt thanks. Excuse me while I go get ready for my Sunday morning televised special.

Back