• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

bigmark408: Who is he? An ugly attempted transaction

Forumites,

I have enjoyed BladeForums for a couple of years now. I have dealt with quite a few people in that time, including some all of you know such as Jerry Busse and the Busse crew, Bill and Yangdu Martino, Christine Simonich, and more recently Bill Siegle. And up until now, I never had a problem dealing with any individual trying to sell on the forum.

This past weekend, I made an offer to bigmark408 for two of his Zero Tolerance knives he listed for sale. The verbatim text of emails we exchanged is below. Basically, the problem became that he wanted me to Paypal money to what he says was a friend's account, instead of directly to him. He says he doesn't have a Paypal account. I told told hm signing up for Paypal was free, that it protected both the buyer and the seller, and that I would pay the 4% fee he was asking. Also, I would pay for USPS insurance on $500 value that he would not.

Paying to an account not his raised the first red flag. I asked him to reply to the Private Message box and edit his post to show that sale was pending just to make sure I didn't get bogus email from someone in Nigeria or other scam country. He refused. More red flags. I then emailed him back saying that I would not do the deal if he wouldn't setup Paypal. That is where it should have ended.

Instead he emails me back calling me "shady" and it degrades from there on. He challenges my integrity, whereas I think his should be challenged. You will notice he joined the forum about 3 weeks ago and has been buying and selling since that time.

So bigmark, tell us who you are, and use your real name.

Sincerely,
Wendell Dang
aka hdwrlover
aka hogwarelover

listen you have been harrassing me and have insulted my integrity, and i do not wish to do buisness with you as my guess is that you are in this for profit!! i dont give a damn what kind of hog you are!! i spent 8 years in the United States Marine Corps and i have nothing to hide because i am a man!! now just go on your way and dont stir up any drama like a juvinile.

Wendell Dang <hdwrlover@yahoo.com> wrote:
OK, we can take it up on Bladeforums since you want to be nasty. I am a busy man who does not want to pick a fight, but you will have to explain yourself in public. Notice you have been looking at Busses. I am an inducted hog - not that it means anything to you.​

Also, I have met others who regularly post on Bladeforums and Knifeforums. They know me. Who are you?​

sender <bigmarksj@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
F U and go play on ebay!!!​

My thoughts about you. I have a Paypal verified account and a 100% rating on eBay. I know you can't say the same.​

sorry, i must back out of this deal as you are shady, and i do not need your buisness.​

OK, sorry. Paypal setup is free. If you can get on BladeForums, you can setup Paypal.​

Paypal protects both the seller and the buyer. No deal without a verified account.​

Sorry,​
Wendell Dang​

i am not set up for paypal, i can use a friends if some one needs it to make a purchase, if you do not feel comfortable you can send a postal m/o, and dont ask me to edit my post as i have multiples.​

mark​

Hey Tim,​

Please respond also to the Bladeforums private message box and edit your post as "sale pending" since your payment email is different than the one posted on site where you advertised. I would have more confidence if I paid to your sbcglobal.net address.​

Tx,​
Wendell​

sounds good paypal addy timdougherty@comcast.net​

"hdwrlover @ BladeForums.com: The Leading Edge of Knife Discussion" <hdwrlover@yahoo.com> wrote:​

This is a message from hdwrlover at BladeForums.com: The Leading Edge of Knife Discussion ( http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/index.php ). The BladeForums.com: The Leading Edge of Knife Discussion owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.​

To email hdwrlover, you can use this online form:​

OR, by email:​
mailto:hdwrlover@yahoo.com​

This is the message:​

You are right of course. I will pay for insurance on $500 value which should be $6.50 according to USPS. The 4% Paypal fee on $260 is $10.40. Total of these two is $16.90 - will round up to $17.​

Revise my offer to $250 + $260 + 17 = $527. Let me know if this is OK with you. I don't order anything w/o shipping insurance.​

Sincerely,​
Wendell​

BigMark408

The seller makes the determination on how the payment is to be made. If the prospective buyer isn't happy with the payment options, he/she should pass on the deal. There is nothing wrong with offering a suggestion to the seller on the mode/s of payment the buyer would be most comfortable with, but ultimately it is up to the seller.

bigmark408 had no business calling you shady. At no time did anything that I read in your emails leave me with the impression that you were anything but on the up and up. His rudeness was totally uncalled for.

i called him shady because of his initial Low Ball offer, and his claims of ebay as i had the impression of him being a dealer and wanting to resell the ZT's, i also told him not to make me mark my post as SPF as i had multiples.

If any one Questions my integrity please go to consumer reports on microholics and you can see who i am, also feel free to pm any person i have sold to and see if i did not treat them proper!!

this person has threatened me here cause he says he is a inducted HOG and is trying to belittle me because on this forum he has been here longer !!

this should not be what you want to represent your forum !!

i will not respond any further to this as i have nothing to hide !!

my reputation and integrity stand for myself and i am a man !!

I offered the use of my friends paypal because i had many requests and wanted to make it possible for you that wanted these awesome ZT's at the best price any place !! to be able to purchase if your only means was paypal !!

because of this person i will edit my post for NO paypal so any of you that wished to purchase with paypal will now be excluded because of this persons actions.

i am sorry you folks have to read this BS cause this is not my style !!

and i have the right to refuse sale to any one that harasses me and tries to make things hard for me because blades are a hobby for me and i dont need drama making things tough.

I respectfully ask that the Moderators here remove his slanderous comments from my for sale post.

Also i just noticed that the emails he posted above are out of order !! this guy is a real piece of work. any one that has done buisness with me knows my real name !! and wendell i live in san jose. california so if you wish to continue to insult my integrity and make statements that i am being dishonnest.

i will give you the opertunity to do it face to face. otherwise this stops here I am a man and i do not pretend to be one behind the computer.

thanks for reading my feelings on this issue !!

Mark

I've dealt with Mark twice and he was real good to me. He's has great knives and is very fair on all his prices. I think he's a stand up guy.

i called him shady because of his initial Low Ball offer, and his claims of ebay as i had the impression of him being a dealer and wanting to resell the ZT's, i also told him not to make me mark my post as SPF as i had multiples.
Mark

My first offer was for $250 + $260 - the prices you listed, with Paypal and insurance included, which you rejected. My second offer was for me to pay the 4% Paypal on the $260 and for the USPS insurance. This came to $17 higher, which you accepted. I don't see how you consider my first offer "lowball". It's not as if I offered $300 for both knives.

Anyway, the fact that you refuse to sign up for Paypal yourself, but was willing to accept Paypal indirectly, indicates you have something to hide. It is not me who is trash talking.

You say you were a Marine for 8 years. I know the saying, once a Marine, always a Marine. Thanks for your service. You also take great photos of the knives you are trying to sell. I'm sure you could also take a great photo of your Honorable Discharge, DD-214, and post it here.

He definately had no business calling you shady or taking any of the attitude with you. You on the other hand should have just backed out and not nagged him to use paypal. I dont (and never will use paypal) and that is just my choice...certainly does not indicate dishonesty.

I'm sure you could also take a great photo of your Honorable Discharge, DD-214, and post it here.

No offense but I don't think he has to prove anything to you, me, or anyone else he chooses not to. Besides, what would it prove if he did?:confused:

BTW. I would have thought something was up with the Paypal deal too AND I don't think someone is "shady" for asking about it.

Bet the early exchange of Buyer/Seller phone #'s via PM would've avoided all this.

That said, on other Forum transactions, Mark has proven to me his integrity, even shipping before payment received. Have never had, nor heard of any problems whatsoever concerning him...

Mark is a stand-up guy, no question in my mind about that. As gzb has stated, he has received high praise on other forums for his deals as a buyer and a seller. No worries here.

...He says he doesn't have a Paypal account. I told told hm signing up for Paypal was free...I then emailed him back saying that I would not do the deal if he wouldn't setup Paypal.
I don't have PayPal, either, and I won't, as they require a credit-card (I WON'T put credit-card numbers over the 'net). Does that also make me a bad guy to conduct business with?

Does that also make me a bad guy to conduct business with?

It boils down to defining, "bad guy..."

There's pros and cons of online buying, peroid

Everyone of us, want to "deal" with confidence.

Anyway, the fact that you refuse to sign up for Paypal yourself, but was willing to accept Paypal indirectly, indicates you have something to hide.

How so?

PayPal requires a Checking Account and a Credit Card, many people choose not to have either. Doesn't mean they are hiding anything.

How so?

PayPal requires a Checking Account and a Credit Card, many people choose not to have either. Doesn't mean they are hiding anything.

Just that I've read of that exact example, "you can send payment to someone elses paypal account" where as people are being screwed!

I have bought, sold, and traded MANY times on this forum and I do not have a paypal account for these transactions. I am working a deal with bigmark on another forum. Seems to be going fine with me.

I also wouldn't post a copy of my DD-214.....

I have dealt with Big Mark, talked to him on the phone a few times, and he has never been anything but stand up solid to me.
Highly recommended.

I do not post in this section often & I haven't bothered to read all the replys
in this thread. I have dealt with bigmark several times on another forum & I
have talked to him over the phone more than once. If I made a trade with him
today, my end of the trade would be in the mail today & he could mail his end
next week for all I care. I will not take paypal either & I've done a lot more
deals than most.

Just that I've read of that exact example, "you can send payment to someone elses paypal account" where as people are being screwed!

I was asking "hdwrlover" why he thought not using PayPal was an indication of someone being "shady".

While bigmark408's "shady" comment was uncalled for, this transaction has been blown waaaaaaay out of proportion. . . .over stoopid shit.

The "deal" was salvageable in the early stages with payment other than PissPal. To let the transaction go to hell in a hurry is absolutely ridiculous !

hdwrlover. . . .a chill pill is in order.

Back