Biting the bullet. Please read.

This is a post I never thought I'd have to make but it is a necessary one. I owe this explanation to everyone.

I am not one to hide or hide from the facts however unpleasant they might be so here they are.

In the last couple of months we have experienced more failures than we have in 15 years. This is not just driving me crazy, it's embarrassing, extremely worrisome and costly.

In another post I pegged the reasons for this: Hurry and worry.

Pala is nervous and worried. The kamis are even more nervous and more worried. Pala can make it without BirGorkha, the kamis and sarkis can't. Everybody there knows they will be much better off if they can get moved to a new location. But this costs money. How to get more money? Make and sell more khukuris, thus, the hurry factor. There's an ancient proverb that says "haste makes waste" and is there a man among us who has not hurried, taken a shortcut and ended up paying the price? It is simply a fact of life. You don't do your best work when you hurry.

The second factor is worry. As mentioned in another thread, there is tremendous pressure on everybody in Nepal right now -- witness the email I received from the four kids who wrote me asking for help. BirGorkha, Pala, the kamis and all associated with BirGorkha are rich by Nepal standards which makes them and the shop itself a target. We are capitalists and operate on Western principles and philosophy. This makes us a target. Maoists, police and the Nepal Army have all paid visits to BirGorkha. When in the back of your mind there is the constant notion of "what will I do if" we do not produce our best work.

These are the facts. Now what to do about them?

We can try to slow down production. As I said in a recent email to BirGorkha: It is better to produce 10 good khukuris that 100 poor ones. Pala is slowing it down. He stopped a shipment that was ready to go and culled out 5 of 40 khukuris for rework. Pala has had meetings with all shop personnel and presented the ultimatum: Either we get back to producing the best quality khukuris in Nepal or we close shop. I think we can overcome the hurry factor.

The worry factor is more difficult. The only thing we can do to help reduce this (can't get rid of it) is to get moved and that puts us in a Catch-22 situation as you can clearly see. Few khukuris, little money, little money, no move. This is a tough one.

This storm in Nepal has been brewing for a long time and now it is upon us. Whether we can weather it or not remains to be seen but we will do our best -- I know I will.

This much is in concrete. The HI guarantee is as good as gold. No argument, no delay, no red tape of any kind. A failure will be replaced as soon as possible or full refund sent immediately.

Because the welfare of so many depend on this effort before I give up I'll make an emergency run to Nepal and see if there is anything personally I can accomplish there -- maybe transplanting to Darjeeling. If the situation becomes impossible then I finally get to retire with no self recrimination. I did my best and all that I could.

In no way am I making excuses -- just telling it like it is.

Stay tuned and bear with us.

More news from Nepal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/south_asia/newsid_1927000/1927626.stm

Basically 130 dead, it seems like more police than rebels, but it was difficult to tell (the numbers didn't all add up).

By the way, the BBC isn't a bad source for Nepali news (as far as major outlets in the US go) but this is pretty big - I heard about it on NPR this morning. If you havent' been following the situation, there's some background material about the rebels, and similar news stories going back about a year.

I was thinking....

It's between you and Palla how you run your business, but how would you feel about prepayment for unspecified K's to be delivered in the far future, when things settle down or when the shop finds a more stable location?

Personally, I know I will be ordering a *few* more things, but I'd rather wait for the kamis at their best, and I'm willing to invest in that. As with any investment, there is some risk - and I don't want to think about the worst that could happen - but the eventual payoff is worth it, and nothing risked means nothing gained.

Just speaking for myself, but I think there might be a few other forum prowlers willing to invest in "khukuri futures". Consult with Pala if possible and let us know.

Good thoughts.

I second Tohatchi NM's idea - I know I'd be willing to invest in a 'future khukuri', I'd bet a number of people here would too.

--B.

Sorry to hear that Uncle Bill. I think that (as usual) you're right on target. It truly is a catch 22 like you said.

HI could still survive by producing so-so khukuris at lower prices, but what a shame that would be. I for one will gladly pay higher prices(back to normal prices), for the top notch quality HI stands for. There is no better feeling than taking your khuk out for a workout with complete confidence that it will perform as expected. Of course I will not be able to buy as many khuks at higher prices, but it should all even out more or less--hopefully.

Watch your A** if you go over there Uncle--they'd love to make an example of a yankee capitalist if they can I'm sure.

Rob

Many thanks for kind offers but there is a chance that we may not be able to deliver and that makes it unacceptable to us.

And that's for link. It helps shed light on my post.

Perhaps an association of sorts would help. I know you don't want contibutions but a membership to an Khukuri Association of HI ????

If that doesn't find acceptance, how about a "raffle"? We do that at the American Legion quite often, temporary boost in funds.

Money is tight for everyone in today's tax month. Hell I havn't worked for three weeks and I spent my "beer" money on 2 khukuris.haha

I can scrap up some buckos for this endeavor.

Sam

Father's Spirit.....I was a young warrior. Skillful, proud and brave. Courage from my father's grave.......

That is upfront.

I'd noticed the increase in failures. There's precedent, at least partially with the earlier shop 2 khuks. They didn't break, but cosmetics weren't good.

I hope this will clarify matters for those who are newer to the forum. Unfortunately, people are people, and under pressure ( or perhaps under the gun would be more appropriate ) they make mistakes. Hard to concentrate when you are nervous over not just you but the safety of your family.

We are either going to survive making the best khukuris in Nepal or we are not going to survive. Second line items are not an option.

We started and survived 15 year by operating a capitalistic oriented, Western style business and that's how we'll end.

No compromises, no indirect charity -- do it and do it right in spite of all odds or not at all.

Sounds like creating a successful business in Nepal is just creating a target for various groups of armed *******s.

I wonder what can be done about arming the kamis for their trip to Darjeeling. They seem to have the ability to make some sort of guns for themselves, but I wonder where they can get any ammo.

I would gladly send weapons, ammo, reloading equipment and supplies, and/or money to purchase all of the above.:(

-Dave

Originally posted by Bill Martino
We are either going to survive making the best khukuris in Nepal or we are not going to survive. Second line items are not an option.

We started and survived 15 year by operating a capitalistic oriented, Western style business and that's how we'll end.

No compromises, no indirect charity -- do it and do it right in spite of all odds or not at all.

That is as it should be. I, along with everyone else, pray HI makes it through.

I'm a hardhead and so is Pala. I'm not surprised that Marines agree with our philosophy -- they are also hardheads.

Originally posted by Bill Martino

Bro I "think" I know how you feel and the reason for your thinking, but I want to add my thought's here anyway.

Pala's been having you sell some really decent khukuris at damned ridiculous prices and that's all well and good.
I "DO" understand the need for cash.

What I do not understand is the unwillingness to make some really decent village style knives to sell at the lower prices to help generate cash for anything that needs to be done in
Nepal.
You and I have talked about how there are a whole lot of people who actually prefer the village knives and we all know just how quick the villagers go when you can get them.
We've also talked about just how many vilagers you could sell if you had good quality ones.
My 17" steel mounted villager is one of my absolute favorites even over my YCS's in some ways.
I wouldn't sell that khukuri for any amount of money!!!!

The thing is to me is that if you would decide to make some really quality village knives they could be sold at the reduced prices Pala has been getting on the PGA's with more profit coming from them since I believe that over half the work in making a khukuri is in the polishing.
Keep the scabbards at their new level of excellence even if they do cost a bit more, the difference is more than worth it.
These knives could all be marked with some kind of emblem representing FREEDOM and would in their own right become very valuable collectors item's!!!!!!!!

I had a long post already written while ago making the same suggestion that Dave made and lost it, then I thought, "Well maybe it was meant to be lost after seeing your reaction."
Right now I'm about to have some cash flow problems myself due to medical costs in the near future and can't participate nearly as much as I would like, but if H.I. were to offer a special village line I would do all I could to support it.
Hell, everyone or nearly everyone else in the knife manufacturing business offers more than one line of knives, why can't Himalayan Imports?

After the crisis the kamis can go back to making the fine and beautiful khukuris they've learned to make and IMO those knives would also be very desirable collectors item's.

There is an excellent possibility that the problems you have been seeing are due to minor local changes in the process. Although the political issues are real and genuine the HI operation seems simple enough to remain largely immune until the war hits your doorstep. It may be worth taking a fresh look at the operation and focus especially on everything that has changed over the last six months. T

Raise prices if you have to; but, never sacrafice the quality.

n2s

Thanks for great suggestions, Bro. I'll run this by Pala and see what the crew thinks about it.

And, n2s, many thanks for astute suggestion but I'm a step ahead. I have already emailed (with sketch so there will be no misunderstanding) suggesting that we return to the stronger convex edge that we used to make before we let the grinder do all the work and that we further take a close look at all present procedures just to make sure we are doing everything right.

I've been holding my tongue, seeing what other minds came up with.

Yvsa's idea sounds excellent - the mirror finish on HI khuks is beautiful, but the wood you're chopping with it doesn't much care - it trembles in fear regardless :D

Foregoing a labor-intensive polish sounds like a great way to keep production up while putting back some attention to quality and reducing cost.

I really, really, REALLY respect the BirGorkha/HI business model, and understand your reasons for rejecting "charity" in any form, Uncle. HOWEVER, I reserve the right to rant about capitalism and the wisdom of letting a primo organization be another victim of terroristic rebels. After all, I'm pretty young and have lots of mileage left on my HI warranties. If my Chiruwa AK gets hit by a nuclear missle some time in the next 50 years, I want somebody to be around to put new handles on the blade!
;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;)

Just sending prayers and good thoughts, for now

It sure makes me proud to be a member of this cantina. I hope I have the oppurtunity to meet some of you fine gentleman!!

Sam

.....Uniform does not make a soldier. Wearing a sword does not a warrior make..........

Back