Biting the bullet. Please read.

First; sympathy probably isn't much use to you right now, and neither is moral support. If they're any help, be aware that you have both, by the bucketful, from all the loyal friends you've made here. You've won our friendship and admiration by virtue of your integrity, principles and humanity - and by selling the best damn knife in the world at an honest, sensible price - and by making HI, and the guys in Nepal, something we want to have as a part of our lives. I think you should be reminded of that. You're a good man, Uncle Bill.

Second; I think Yvsa's hit the nail on the head. You need output, bringing in the maximum short-term income, but you don't want to sacrifice quality. Damn straight. Accordingly, the logical move would be a line of 'utility' khukuris; blades shaped, hardened and tempered to the most exacting HI standards, but with a plain, utilitarian finish and plain, basic furniture. Mirror finishes, brass inlays and fancy woodwork are great to have, but they don't make the knife cut deeper or last longer. As Yvsa said, I think that we your customers will understand what those drab, plain-Jane khuks stand for, and we'll be pleased - and proud - to own them.

Anybody can make a *pretty* knife. Only HI can make the best working blade in the world. Go with your strengths. If you build them, we will buy...

Whatever you decide to do, please bear in mind that you have our goodwill, our respect and our gratitude.

I agree Sams
Uncle Bill and the others who make up this forum are great men. Uncle Bill is without equal in many ways. All of us owe him a debt.

Originally posted by Bill Martino
Thanks for great suggestions, Bro. I'll run this by Pala and see what the crew thinks about it.

And, n2s, many thanks for astute suggestion but I'm a step ahead. I have already emailed (with sketch so there will be no misunderstanding) suggesting that we return to the stronger convex edge that we used to make before we let the grinder do all the work and that we further take a close look at all present procedures just to make sure we are doing everything right.

You're welcome Bro, thanks for even considering them. My take on quality is sometimes different than other folk's.:)
I would like to remind you just how many people said they were interested in getting a hammer dingy finish khukuri.
I think I may be the only one or at least one of the few that ordered the "as forged blades" so that I could complete them myself.
And everyone here that's seen my little reworked as forged blade Chainpuri khukuri has loved it. You yourself have said it's one of your favorites.

There could even be some compromise as in a hammer dingy finish on all parts of the blade with a little extra care in the forgeing marks, easy for the kamis to do, and then polished edge bevels.
Going back to the convexed edge is gonna help a helluva lot more than anyone can imagine in my opinion!!!!!!!

I would love to see some plain finish khuks. And I could afford to buy more. Good differential heat treat, plain but solid handle, steel mountings. The kami's wouldn't feel as much need to rush on performance critical areas if they know they won't have to spend as much time on finishing treatments. As much as I love my beautifully finished HI's, my real love is for the varied blade shapes and styles. I love the difference of feel and function in each blade profile. If you decide to make 'user' khuks be sure to make some different models.

:D

Pat Mc

oh yeah, I also agree about the convex edge being critical as well.

There could even be some compromise as in a hammer dingy finish on all parts of the blade with a little extra care in the forgeing marks, easy for the kamis to do, and then polished edge bevels.

Some very expensive traditional Japanese knives and tools from the best smiths are made like this. I think they would look great and could also give HI a little more visibility with such a distinctive line.

It almost sounds to me as though we are talking about an $80-$100 HI Villager. All of these guys were village kamis at one time. One of Smith & Wesson's most revered revolvers was the Model 28 Highway Patrolman. It was a very slightly "less fancy" version of the superb Model 27. It had all the accuracy, strength and craftsmanship in fitting of the 27, but lacked the extra buffing, deep blue finish and checkered topstrap. It would DO EVERYTHING the 27 would do, but didn't look as flashy. It, like my villager, did look like a well made, extremely serious tool. The kamis don't want to make tourist Khuks, and we don't want to buy them. Look back at the small shipments of Uncle's villagers, the reception they got form forumites, and the respect they continue to generate from those actively using them. The HI marque could not possibly suffer from production of blades like this, and they could continue as stock items after production resumes normally, from whatever location.

Another thumbs up for Yvsa's suggestions. Most Australians go for functionality over beauty any day. I have to say that every time I look in the mirror.

Plain hammer maked, unpolished working models would be beautiful and unique in themselves. As long as they have enough money to get them to a safer location makes it all worth it as well.

Uncle Bill, besides all those anoying facts, you deserves my sincere admiration for your commitment with the highest QUALITY!!! I am proud to have you and the cantina in my friendship circle.

Paulo Nilson

Yvsa's villager line suggestions sound very good.I love the finish and polish of my Sirupati and BAS,but,as Glenn put it,functionality is a form of beauty in its own right.So here's another thumb's up.

Best wishes that the situation gets better.

WoodOwl

but if H.I. were to offer a special village line I would do all I could to support it.

YES!!! ME TOO! Yvsa, this is an excellent idea. I would welcome a lower priced line, tough as hell that could be my rough treatment khuks. Frankly I can't bring myself to really use my HI khuks all that hard sometimes--too pretty:D

I have already emailed (with sketch so there will be no misunderstanding) suggesting that we return to the stronger convex edge that we used to make before we let the grinder do all the work

More good news!!!:)

Uncle Bill,

As one of those that you have taken great care of over the last couple of years, I am always thrilled with your honest approach to buisness and life. It is your honest dealings with all of your customers that ends up making them part of your extended family rather than just people that buy a product from you.
I feel that your ideas of lessened speed to ensure consistant quality is a good one. Also the ideas of so many of the experienced members here have great merit. I would like to see some of the plain type blades come our way. Pure function and power, and strength. If I need to see it shine, I can put a high polish on it later. For example I love my YCS, but still really dream of getting a plain Jane version with the steel fittings and the tools sized as Yvsa intended, (and a Sanu to boot). To me sometimes the plain versions let the beauty of the lines and design speak louder. Hammer marks in the finish is another good look to me, as long as the edge is smooth and sharp. The M43 is another fine example of simple being beautiful.
I guess what I am making a lame attempt to say is that I would rather see a few simple and solid users, if the fancy and frilly is taking to much effort away from the strength issues.
I for one will back whatever you decide. I hope that the operation in Nepal can be moved to a safer spot for the sake of the men and their families whos work we enjoy so much. With safety will come the ability to concentrate on the blades better. I am amazed that they can work at all with all of the stress and turmoil going on around them. I am not sure I would be able to put forth my best work with the fear of death, prison or torture looming over my shoulder all of the time. You and they are in my prayers. May this whole mess in Nepal end swiftly and for the good of the people!!

Well, the villagers would increase stock, and provide more work for additional people too, no? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Hopefully something can be worked out soon(er than later) with the shop -- though it's almost sounding like Darjeeling might be the place to go....

Funny thing about 'capitalism' and 'communism' is that in this case the 'capitalist' business is focussed on community (which is what communism is supposed to mean), both the kamis and other HI workers & their families, and the HI Cantina community (how many businesses have this sort of following?!); whereas the 'communist' maoists are anti-community quite obviously. Lots of econo-political rhetoric about, but in the end those systems/people are good who provide resources to those who need them - and those are evil who wilfully deprive those in need. Sometimes the latter is capitalism, sometimes 'communism', though unfortunately all too often both are in the latter category...

Bas - enough rambling.

--B.

Uncle Bill

We all respect and appreciate you and for what you stand for and let it be said (however new I am to this cantina) that I will support you and HI in every way possible. Lets work this hiccup out as a team and come to the best solution. If there is one thing Ive learnt about Americans it is that you have true, hard, fighting spirit and what more do you need !! Sounds like the kamis are the same

Regards,
Brendan

I have one simple question:

How much money will it take to get the kamis to a safe location where the Maoists won't bother them and they can make khuks in peace?

Then let us see about how to get it funded.

Shiny blade, non shiny blade, both are nice, both are functional.

Whatever you decide, I'll be looking to get more. :)

More, More, More, More
H-I-K-V
More, More, More, More
(repeat)

.... and now back to our sponsor's...

n2s

I vote with what seem to be the majority on the plain jane models. Although I love my polished and inlayed Chitlangi with all the polished metal on the handle, I have e-mailed in the past asking if it was possible to special order some of the standard models without all the "pretty stuff". I really prefer the utilitarian look. I also think people take the knife a little more serious as working knife at deer camp and such. This way I wouldn't have to special order either!

Back