Blade Show West Q&A

Good to kno
I have absolutely no idea how widespread this is, but our local library passes out free tests that have a corresponding app that verifies results for both work and government entities. You can take the test and then access a QR code with a 'pass' on your phone that they scan to verify. Not sure if this will help anyone hoping to attend.
Good to know- Thank you very much for this info. It is interesting to see how many places are offering fast/free testing.

At the risk

Probably a dumb question, but what would be the reason to purchase a membership above basic? Want to make sure I am doing things properly.

The way I see it, the reason you are ultimately here is to advertise for the show being run by the people you work for. You keep using the "Royal We", but let's face it. You're an advertising or social media person here to get people interested in a product (the BLADE show) that they will have to pay (buy tickets) to enjoy.

Therefore, you should have a dealer's level membership at the very least. Also? It has me wondering if you (the person sitting at the keyboard connected to the Blade Show Blade Show account) even actually work for anyone involved. There's no real way to tell, but the big question for me is: "Why now?" BLADE has been going on for many years, yet now is the time someone from the showrunners' organization shows up to communicate/address/interact with potential custo...er, fans?

That seems sketch to me. My theory is that the ticket revenue is down and you're here to drum up business. So yes, a Dealer's membership seems to be the minimum expectation.

It is required by LA County, it is state law that we have to follow, otherwise we could not have the event. The convention center is enforcing it and it is entirely out of control. They consider any event 1,000+ as a "mega event"and these are the events that require the proof of negative COVID testing or vaccine.
Right, neither you, nor the customer (who does not want the vaccine or to get a covid test) agreed to the county's policy during the time of the ticket purchase. It sort of got enacted on both parties after the fact. So, it is now on you, the business, to operate in good faith towards the customer and offer a refund for people who do not want to attend the show because of rules put in place after purchase and outside of your control.

"We have never given refunds except when it was canceled" is a horrible excuse. If you haven't noticed, things are changing. Doing things because that is how they have always been done will no longer work. If you don't know how wrong it is to keep people's money in this instance, I'm not sure what is mentally wrong with those making that decisions.

Last, think about the "Blade" customer base. Best offer refunds to those that want them over this. Try to save a little face. Benchmade thinks you should.

I have absolutely no idea how widespread this is, but our local library passes out free tests that have a corresponding app that verifies results for both work and government entities. You can take the test and then access a QR code with a 'pass' on your phone that they scan to verify. Not sure if this will help anyone hoping to attend.
That's pretty cool

I had a drive thru test yesterday for free and the result came in 12 hours. I did see one place trying to charge, but there are quite a few options. Could depend on where you live.

I was in California (San Diego area) last month with my brother to see my parents and I came down with something. Felt like a cold, but so did Covid when I caught it last year. I'm also vaccinated, so I was pretty sure I didn't have it, but I wanted to be sure before flying back to Tucson. We couldn't find any drive-thru or walk-in places that could promise results within a few days except those that charged, and they charged $130 or $150. The antigen tests they use are no different than the home kits you buy at the pharmacy, but they come with documentation that's accepted as "official". We got a home kit since flying didn't require anything official.

No doubt the free testing places are overestimating the timeframe of their results, and pretty much everybody I know who has been tested at one (including myself, twice) has received their results quicker than the estimate, but that's no guarantee and certainly not good enough if, say, it's Friday night and you have to get on a plane on Sunday (my scenario). And no doubt this varies from area to area.

I didn't know those tests don't count. What's the point of them then?

They're merely unofficial. The result is only accurate within 15-30 minutes of doing the test, and if you followed the very specific instructions. You can take a picture, sure, but that's hardly "proof". Good enough to affirm or mitigate your concerns if you plan on going somewhere or visiting someone, or if you came in contact with someone that later tested positive or the scuzzball behind you at 7-11 was coughing down your neck. May or may not be good enough for your place of employment.

EDIT: Most times when we think of testing it's to prove that we don't have Covid, but that's not the only situation. Your employment/insurance might require an official positive result to receive PTO or other compensation (mine did). Again, the home kits won't suffice.

I was in California (San Diego area) last month with my brother to see my parents and I came down with something. Felt like a cold, but so did Covid when I caught it last year. I'm also vaccinated, so I was pretty sure I didn't have it, but I wanted to be sure before flying back to Tucson. We couldn't find any drive-thru or walk-in places that could promise results within a few days except those that charged, and they charged $130 or $150. The antigen tests they use are no different than the home kits you buy at the pharmacy, but they come with documentation that's accepted as "official". We got a home kit since flying didn't require anything official.

No doubt the free testing places are overestimating the timeframe of their results, and pretty much everybody I know who has been tested at one (including myself, twice) has received their results quicker than the estimate, but that's no guarantee and certainly not good enough if, say, it's Friday night and you have to get on a plane on Sunday (my scenario). And no doubt this varies from area to area.

They're merely unofficial. The result is only accurate within 15-30 minutes of doing the test, and if you followed the very specific instructions. You can take a picture, sure, but that's hardly "proof". Good enough to affirm or mitigate your concerns if you plan on going somewhere or visiting someone, or if you came in contact with someone that later tested positive or the scuzzball behind you at 7-11 was coughing down your neck. May or may not be good enough for your place of employment.

EDIT: Most times when we think of testing it's to prove that we don't have Covid, but that's not the only situation. Your employment/insurance might require an official positive result to receive PTO or other compensation (mine did). Again, the home kits won't suffice.
I hear you and hate to be at the mercy of the testing place. I drove to Canada in July and needed a test result before getting to the border. I kept phoning them every time I stopped for gas and finally got the result just in time. I would have been pissed to drive 800 miles and not get it.

On the topic of the thread, I think Blade should offer an option of a refund. I doubt they'd lose much and would gain some good will.

Thanks for answering my question. Perhaps you should make an announcement/email about the COVID vaccination proof or COVID Negative Test results and the time frame so everyone knows about the criteria established by California , as now it seems it is kind of hidden in the details and most people may not have seen this information. I get emails almost daily about Blade West, but have not seen anything about this subject. John

Thanks for answering my question. Perhaps you should make an announcement/email about the COVID vaccination proof or COVID Negative Test results and the time frame so everyone knows about the criteria established by California , as now it seems it is kind of hidden in the details and most people may not have seen this information. I get emails almost daily about Blade West, but have not seen anything about this subject. John
Hey John - we have it in large bold red letters right on the top title area of the ticket purchase page. So anyone going to purchase the tickets will see it before they scroll down to buy. Here is the ticket page if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Hey John - we have it in large bold red letters right on the top title area of the ticket purchase page. So anyone going to purchase the tickets will see it before they scroll down to buy. Here is the ticket page if you want to see what I'm talking about.
Are you aware of the demographics of the people who attend your show? It doesn't seem like it.

Edit: and what about the people who's money you already have? You know, before the bold red letters got put up. They just SOL?

What does this do for people who already purchased tickets? You know, the folks who almost certainly haven't been back to that page you linked to since the purchase? How are you getting the message out to people? Ohhhh, right, I get it. You guys haven't emailed anyone because you know that the moment you do, you'll start fielding refund requests.

Come on, man. You guys are acting really shady right now, and I'm at a loss as to why.

Blade Show Blade Show
A covid test is classified as “medical procedure.” So what you are saying is that it is not your fault that someone now has to get a “medical procedure” to attend your show? You are basically agreeing to this and standing your ground?
You still haven’t answered my question.

What does this do for people who already purchased tickets? You know, the folks who almost certainly haven't been back to that page you linked to since the purchase? How are you getting the message out to people? Ohhhh, right, I get it. You guys haven't emailed anyone because you know that the moment you do, you'll start fielding refund requests.

Come on, man. You guys are acting really shady right now, and I'm at a loss as to why.
I would be shocked if they don't hear from their financial institution inquiring why they are getting so many charge backs. If they don't offer refunds, folks that don't agree with the county will be going to great lengths to get out of paying for tickets they won't use, and rightfully so. I don't know if the blade show people have been under a rock, but the whole vaccine mandate thing is a bit of a touchy subject.

Agree with the county or not, in a situation like this Blade Show Blade Show keeping money from people who will not attend because of this vaccine/test business is an extremely poor choice. I mean, these people are your fans. Is it really worth screwing them over just to make a few bucks in the short term? Wouldn't you want to keep them as fans in the long run? People are passionate about this stuff and they will not forget how blade acted.

The exposure here alone will damage their rep to people who would never attend a blade show. This will make the rounds in the community like wild fire. This will make Benchmade cutting up those guns look like a drop in the bucket. Go look that one up Blade Show Blade Show , if you don't already know.

Back