BladeForums BEST BOWIE - 2010 Edition - VOTING NOW CLOSED - Finalists Selected

Though I seldom post, I always look forward to Roger organizing this thread
and seeing the incredible display of bowies.
Here are my seven:

1. Post 1, pic 7 Bruce Bump Newell.

2. Post 4, pic 4 Mike Ruth "Ruthless".

3. Post 4, pic 6 John White D-guard.

4. Post 12, pic 1 Jerry Fisk Artifact.

5. Post 20, pic 2 Adam DeRosiers.

6. Post 21, pic 1 Nick Wheeler Bowie for Coop.

7. Post 47, pic 1 Rodrigo Sfreddo Moghul fighter.

Beautiful work guys,
David Crawford

So many nice ones makes this really hard to pick.

But here's 3 that really caught my eye.

Post # 18, Knife # 5, Don Hanson
Don does this so well. Everything he makes seems near perfect and just flows. The hamon over damascus makes this one for me.

Post # 100, Knife # 3, John White
This knife is so elegant and graceful but still looks functional and comfortable in the hand. Every thing fits and compliments everything else so nicely. That many parts that all come together into one piece really says something to me.

Post # 62, Knife # 4, Doug Campbell
I got to see this one in person. Such nice lines and execution on this one. Seems to disappear in your hand and is as light and quick feeling as it looks.

1 - 7 Bump
4 - 1 Cook
14- 1 Fuegen
100- 3 White
27-1 Hanson\
12- 1 Fisk
4 - Ruth

1-5 Sfreddo "Parigi"

2-3 Rhea subhilt

4-7 Horrigan

41-3 Bump Bowie/fighter

100-5 Hancock

Well, I almost missed out on this. Just returning from holiday travels. Man, what awesome work to choose from! Really some great work achieved this year. :thumbup:

I was somewhat overwhelmed due to not being able to keep up with this thread this week. My approach was to look at all entries from a distance, then key in on the ones that have the 'flow' that I like in a bowie. After doing that, look closer at my favorites, and decide.

They are:

Post 1, pic 1: Russ Andrews sub-hilt. Love it.

Post 2, pic 6: Larry Fuegen. A flow-master.

Post 4, pic 6: John White. Not necessarily a D-guard fan, but sure am a fan of this one.

Post 14, pic 1: Larry Fuegen. This guy is good!

Post 27, pic 1: Don Hanson Flow Bowie...the essence of flow! I think Don's entries are all top notch, I am a big fan. But check this one out again from a distance. :eek:

Post 47, pic 1: Sfreddo fighter. Would love to see that one in person.

Post 97, pic 6: Stuart Branson. I struggled over my 7th choice, and kept going back to this one. Stuart's extra image might have helped. As did watching its progress on the forum. I am impressed.

Thanks, Roger and Lorien for all the work again this year. Always a treat. :thumbup:

- Joe

Very tough to narrow down but here's my choices in order of appearance.

2-6 - Larry Fuegen
21-1 - Nick Wheeler
22-1 - John White
27-3 - Collaboration Rhea,Sfreddo,Sowell,Tomberlin
33-1 - John White
47-1 - R.Sfreddo
97-4 - Bill Buxton

#1-1 Russ Andrews

#1-3 Jerry Fisk

#2-6 Larry Fuegen

#4-4 Mike Ruth

#7-1 Burt Foster

#27-1 Don Hanson III

#47-1 Rodrigo Sfreddo

Doug

Greetings all,

Voting will remain open for the rest of today. We'll bing in the New Year tomorrow with the announcement of the finalists and the commencement of voting for the selection of Best Bowie 2010. :)

I've really enjoyed reading the comments of those who have shared the reasons behind their choices - very intersting stuff. If I were bowie maker, I think the value of this thread as a free focus group would not be lost on me.

Roger

Such great knives this year.

Post #1 - #6 Nick Wheeler W2
Post #2 - #6 Fuegen "Best of Show"
Post #7 - #1 Burt Foster Persian Bowie
Post #14 - #4 Fisk Bowie
Post #20 - #1 Fowler Bowie
Post #41 - #3 Bruce Bump Bowie/Fighter
Post #97 - #7 Tad Lynch

My choices are as follows;
Post 45 Mike Quesenbery #2 of 3
post 41 #3 Bruce Bump, Bowie/Fighter
Post 18 #5 Don Hanson
Post 2 Jay Hendrickson
Post 4 #4 Mike Ruth, Ruthless
Post 12 Kyle Royer, Take Down Persian
Post 4 #2 Tom Ferry, Persian

Thank you Roger and all for an amazing feast of the eyes....

Happy New Year to all!

Cal

In posting order;

Post 1 #3 Fisk Personal Cutter. Pure, elemental bowie. Jerry's personal cutter for his 30th anniversary year making knives that has extreme personal meaning for me being used my first time cutting free hanging rope.

Post 2 #6 Fuegen carved bowie; I don't have the honor of owning one of Larry's knives (yet!) but this is the knife my wife and I both desire. Carving on ivory, carving on metal, great proportions...did I say desire?

Post 7 #1 Foster Persian; From the moment I laid eyes on this knife at Blade I have been envious of it's owner. Joe knew I'd love it when he said "Rob, you're gonna like this one" as he opened the case and grinned as my jaw dropped. Looked great in person and felt great in the hand. That wild blade! That wild sheath! Owned by that wildman! Nuff said.

Post 12 #1 Fisk Artifact Southwest Bowie NLT 7 for 2010; Remember wanting a date with that special someone when you were a teen. That's how I felt when I saw this knife. I had to have her! That artifact handle, her lovely curved guard all engraved and gold embellished, that wonderful damascus and what a classic figure!

Post 14 #3 Hanson Blue Ivory Fighter; Classy shape, double sharp beautiful damascus, and blue ivory of the gods. This one would be right at home in my Hanson harem but, alas, lives with another.

Post 27 #2 Lisch Flying Dragon; David...I'm paying attention! This knife grabbed me as soon as I saw it.

Post 64 #1 Hanson Sub hilt; Tapered frame handle, old elephant bark ivory, stunning damascus that is dark and shimmers at the same time, double edge. Big, balanced and beautiful.

It was blissful torture picking these from all of the great ones posted. Can't wait for the next round!!!

:thumbup:post 12 picture one Fisk artifact bowie and the Buckaroo bowie by Fuegan :thumbup::D JR Cook Gold Rush:D

^please, post # and knife # Chuck!

Rob, 'blissful torture', love it!:thumbup::D

Tough choice but here goes:
Post 7/#1 B. Foster
Post 1/#5 R. Sfreddo
Post 50/#4 Tad Lynch
Post 97/#2 M. Lamey
Post 41/#3 B. Bump
Post 12/ K. Royer-take down
Post 103/ N. Wheeler -Damascus persian fighter

Back