Bladeforums Supporting Clone Dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's so much noise to signal going on here.
My question at this point is: Even if they have done nothing to warrant being banned, should they have Bladeforums Supporting Dealer status?

For years, I've seen posts telling new members to check out the list of supporting dealers when they ask where is the best/most honest/reliable, etc place? That led me to infer some sort of vetting or endorsement, rather than just having paid for the membership level.

I don't think I'm the only one who has been under this impression.

before this gets closed down again

I dont like and don't understand why the dealer in question is allowed to remain. I dont believe it is inline with what is good for the forum and the "knife world" in general
its the forums right to allow or disallow dealers for whatever reasons that may have - it would be nice to know what those reasons are
its each members option to stay or leave or continue to support with paid memberships
I don't see any point or productivity in the back and forth between each side.
I've stated my opinion and won't likely engage further

My question at this point is: Even if they have done nothing to warrant being banned, should they have Bladeforums Supporting Dealer status?

For years, I've seen posts telling new members to check out the list of supporting dealers when they ask where is the best/most honest/reliable, etc place? That led me to infer some sort of vetting or endorsement, rather than just having paid for the membership level.

Exactly, and in keeping with those lines it would be well within @Spark 's discretion to just tell @topomart "No thanks, we don't like what you do for the knife community and don't want you here"...easy peasy. THAT would show support for all the awesome supporting dealers we have here.

The list of Supporting Dealers would have definitely been an indicator of quality, reliability and honesty. To me, at least.
Now, I see Blade Forums like a sort of medieval market with many shops, big and small, vendors selling on street corners and tons of people roaming around, inspecting, choosing, buying and comments constantly buzzing through the crowd. The situation tends to generally sanitize itself, due to feedback (especially the GBU) and the action of the mods (that would be the sergeants at arms catching the occasional scammer or thief and giving him the boot). With Topoftheshit granted a dealer status, it's like the House of Thieves has established a multistorey temple in the middle of the central market place.

Hey Bladeforums as a Gold Member , it's hard to understand in what Universe promoting rip offs of the very manufacturers that are the reason there are members who love this place is JUST PLAIN WRONG! Stealing these designs is CRIMINAL... how can BF support this? China really???!!!

There's wayy too much wrong with the way this website is handled and managed to be concerned about one clone dealer...there are lots of people on here selling fakes...just gotta know what you're looking at..and don't even start on money...i know lots of people who were banned here just so the mods and their buddies could make more money. Anybody should be able to state an opinion here without a moderator or anyone else stepping in, though. That I agree with.

I'm not sure I follow - are you suggesting that our unpaid moderation staff is banning members so that they can get more of that unpaid goodness? Also, as has been suggested, if you see fakes being sold, report it - they will get removed.

But @EngrSorenson raises a valid question... and it would be easy to say that it’s better to deal with the unpleasant people while standing on the side of the significant majority on the issue. It seems as if after Spark has made his judgement on the matter, some rush to form a sort of coup by way of complaint threads and rallying forces behind a singular objective. I’m not sure that’s the best way to handle this situation, as now you have both sides entrenching themselves and getting ready for a fight... with logical fallacies abound.

Don’t support an outright and immediate ban? “Clone apologist” is the label assigned... and that’s completely unfair. Anyone with a differing view here has explained in detail why they understand why Spark called it the way he did. Perhaps trying to understand why they feel that way could facilitate better discussion on the matter.

My criticism of Spark at this time is with regards to the lack of transparency - in this matter as well as the matter of how poorly this website has functioned for most of this year. Yes, there are outspoken folks here with a more abrupt manner of speaking but to paint their frustrations (in solidarity, mine as well) as some sort of coup attempt is rather far fetched and (speaking only for myself here) not at all accurate.

Our displeasure is being voiced - hence the purpose of this thread. Many of the more impassioned folks here have traditionally taken a very hard line against clones - it should be perfectly understandable why the decision to allow Topomart to remain ruffles some feathers in a a big way.

With regards to Spark's reasoning and intentions? He has been rather sparing with the details so any hypothesizing we do is simply conjecture - admittedly, on both sides of the issue. It shouldn't keep one from voicing their concerns, however, and if voting with one's wallet is how one might adhere to their principles, then who are we to tell them otherwise?

I would advise everyone to put the offending party on ignore.

You are not. I always thought the dealer membership meant something beyond just paying to be one. Clearly it doesn't. No longer can you just say "check out X at one of the bladeforums supporting dealers, they'll take care of you".

Legit Dealers should take notice.

@KnifeCenter @BladeHQ @gpknives @knifeswapper

I'm just listing the dealers I use most and think are still dealers, besides DLT who already chimed in.

however, and if voting with one's wallet is how one might adhere to their principles, then who are we to tell them otherwise?

It goes beyond principle when voting with your $’s. Yes principles are an important decision on buying something, an quality of the product is also. Does a clone vendor improve the quality of the product (membership) or devalue it ? Only voice I have in buying (supporting) is my $ and the decision to spent it............or not

Last edited:

Agreed.

It has never been my position that they should be banned.

So let me see if I I got this right? I can buy a fake clone from topomart who's allowed to advertise fake clone knives on here, but if I buy one and then try to resale it I'll get banned??? So what's the deal with that? If topomart can get away with it why can't I?

This is absolutely ridiculous to allow them or me or anyone else knowingly to sale fakes. I never thought I'd see bladeforums help and support a fake Chinese company.. I've never sold anything on here, I bought the gold membership to just help support the forum that I love so much. I've bought it twice and then I won a free year, I don't know when it runs out but if topomart is active I won't be renewing it..

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow - are you suggesting that our unpaid moderation staff is banning members so that they can get more of that unpaid goodness? Also, as has been suggested, if you see fakes being sold, report it - they will get removed.

My criticism of Spark at this time is with regards to the lack of transparency - in this matter as well as the matter of how poorly this website has functioned for most of this year. Yes, there are outspoken folks here with a more abrupt manner of speaking but to paint their frustrations (in solidarity, mine as well) as some sort of coup attempt is rather far fetched and (speaking only for myself here) not at all accurate.

Our displeasure is being voiced - hence the purpose of this thread. Many of the more impassioned folks here have traditionally taken a very hard line against clones - it should be perfectly understandable why the decision to allow Topomart to remain ruffles some feathers in a a big way.

With regards to Spark's reasoning and intentions? He has been rather sparing with the details so any hypothesizing we do is simply conjecture - admittedly, on both sides of the issue. It shouldn't keep one from voicing their concerns, however, and if voting with one's wallet is how one might adhere to their principles, then who are we to tell them otherwise?
I agree you vote with your wallet, but I don’t agree with the THREAT of the wallet. Trying to rally friends to all join in saying “if you don’t do what I want, I’m taking my ball and going home!”
Seriously? You’d leave a forum that many people had been members of for years, some over a decade or more, all over one dealer likely to be banned anyway if they break the rules? To each their own, but it sounds like drama and empty threats to try and bully the owner into complying. I’m not buying it.
I seriously think everyone is overreacting, and they’re all feeding off each other and it’s fueling more anger. This seems like a small issue to get so worked up over. If clones are put up for sale, every concern would be addressed.
So what’s the problem? People aren’t happy to get someone banned at the snap of their fingers?

This forum is the greatest forum in the knife community, and will continue to be... Topomart or no Topomart, banned now or banned later... or not at all as the dealer slips into obscurity. All will be fine.

So let me see if I I got this right? I can buy a fake clone from topomart who's allowed to advertise fake clone knives on here, but if I buy a dozen and then try to resale em I'll get banned??? So what's the deal with that? If topomart can get away with it why can't I? This is absolutely ridiculous too allow them or me or anyone else knowingly too sale fakes. I never thought I'd see bladeforums help and support a fake Chinese company.. I've never sold anything on here, I bought the gold membership to just help support the forum that I love so much. I've bought it twice and then I won a free year, I don't know when it runs out but if topomart is active I won't be renewing it..

Not exactly. In all fairness, any thread posted by them directly displaying a clone has been removed. The official position is they can't advertise clones on the forum. That said, they most certainly did try advertising them and are still only a click away.

So let me see if I I got this right? I can buy a fake clone from topomart who's allowed to advertise fake clone knives on here, but if I buy a dozen and then try to resale em I'll get banned??? So what's the deal with that? If topomart can get away with it why can't I?

This is absolutely ridiculous to allow them or me or anyone else knowingly too sale fakes. I never thought I'd see bladeforums help and support a fake Chinese company.. I've never sold anything on here, I bought the gold membership to just help support the forum that I love so much. I've bought it twice and then I won a free year, I don't know when it runs out but if topomart is active I won't be renewing it..
They aren't supposed to advertise the clone knives they sell. However, when you click the link to their website it is full of clones.

I agree you vote with your wallet, but I don’t agree with the THREAT of the wallet. Trying to rally friends to all join in saying “if you don’t do what I want, I’m taking my ball and going home!”
Seriously? You’d leave a forum that many people had been members of for years, some over a decade or more, all over one dealer likely to be banned anyway if they break the rules? To each their own, but it sounds like drama and empty threats to try and bully the owner into complying. I’m not buying it.
I seriously think everyone is overreacting, and they’re all feeding off each other and it’s fueling more anger. This seems like a small issue to get so worked up over. If clones are put up for sale, every concern would be addressed.
So what’s the problem? People aren’t happy to get someone banned at the snap of their fingers?

This forum is the greatest forum in the knife community, and will continue to be... Topomart or no Topomart, banned now or banned later... or not at all as the dealer slips into obscurity. All will be fine.

Why were they even allowed here in the first place?

Put him on ignore. He is trying to derail the thread and get it closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back