Blades & Bourbon

I love the Holidays... Cheers Gents!

juZ8PU.jpg
Have you tried the uncut unfiltered Smoke Wagon yet? The small batch was great but the UCUF really surprised me how good it is. Brad

Not yet Brad, you know I'm waiting for my Bourbon Buddies to get together at the end of the week and try it... :D
We got 10 years old Michter's and Blood Oath #6 for this weekend, we will get to the Smoke Wagon probably during the Christmas week, but I'm glad you like it, it is really good stuff :thumbsup:

Got a blizzard coming tomorrow and the holidays....hit up the local shop before heading home and somehow ended up walking out the door under a benjamin...

I initially went in going to "up my game" with one higher dollar bottle but these four totalled less than the one bottle...plus its 4x the Bourbon...no brainer.

20201222_202750.jpg

Never tried the Title №21, 9 YO Knob Creek is a solid pour, no doubt about it, one of my favorites.
I think you'll like the Single Barrel of Four Roses the most, very good juice ! Cheers !

Lucked into a single barrel Eagle Rare at a local shop today after finding a regular bottle at a big box chain yesterday. While not in any way worthy of top billing, a glass of ER is nice from time to time.

Hi, folks! Merry Christmas!
I've read this entire thread and found it fascinating. I have no detailed knowledge of bourbons, although I've
enjoyed a few decent ones over the years. My Dad worked for the Stagg Distillery in the 1930's as a teen, and
had some good stories about the work and folks there. I am looking to work my way into being an "economical
connoisseur," as I just can't see paying hundreds of dollars a bottle for whiskey.

What brands would you recommend as especially desirable for quality with reasonable price -- say, no more than
$65 a bottle, at a non-gouge price? If you can mention what prices you consider fair for a given size bottle, that would
be helpful to me in avoiding pitfalls of gougers as I learn the ropes. If you think any are especial bargains but of limited
production (thus: buy more than one), that would be good to know also!

Thanks again, and I appreciate your sharing your knowledge and experience!
Sincerely,
John

I've read this entire thread and found it fascinating. I have no detailed knowledge of bourbons, although I've
enjoyed a few decent ones over the years. My Dad worked for the Stagg Distillery in the 1930's as a teen, and
had some good stories about the work and folks there. I am looking to work my way into being an "economical
connoisseur," as I just can't see paying hundreds of dollars a bottle for whiskey.

What brands would you recommend as especially desirable for quality with reasonable price -- say, no more than
$65 a bottle, at a non-gouge price? If you can mention what prices you consider fair for a given size bottle, that would
be helpful to me in avoiding pitfalls of gougers as I learn the ropes. If you think any are especial bargains but of limited

Sincerely,
John

What part of the country you’re in?

my fav under 30: always available in most markets
Wild Turkey 101
Rebel Yell 100
Four Roses yellow label or Small batch
1792 Small batch
Old Grandad bonded
Old Forester 100
Evan Williams white label
Very Old Barton

This is just to name a few, there are hundreds of list out there by bloggers and reviewers that will list the same and many more.

There are many great choices that are usually readily available for under $65.

Check out some of the offerings Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Angel’s Envy, Bulliet, Four Roses, 1792, Woodford Reserve, Maker’s Mark just to name a few.

Just pick up a bottle of Maker's Mark for starters and go from there. It will give you a good base to learn from.

Mainly a scotch drinker but have been dabbling w/bourbons (beyond JD) recently, given my current relative lack of knife collecting activity.

The only 2 knives that I've purchased recently were a Gen 6 Tri-way Hinderer XM-24 Spanto and a ZT 0452 M390TiBLU but I spent as much on them as I did the 10 bottles of scotch and bourbon that I also purchased recently.

Posted my recent whiskey collecting efforts in a parrallel thread beginning at Post #75 here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/the-whiskey-tribe-and-trade.1683525/page-4

Long story short, this is my current library (past & present) of bourbons, some of which I still haven't opened yet:

1792 - Full Proof
Angel's Envy

Baker's 7 - Single Barrel
Barrel Bourbon 9 - Batch 24

Buffalo Trace
Boondocks 8 - Port Finished
Burning Chair - Barrel Select

Bulleit 10
Bulleit - Barrel Strength
Burning Chair - Barrel Select 2020
Colonel E. H. Taylor - Small Batch
Eagle Rare 10* (plus 6 bottles in reserve)
Elijah Craig - Barrel Proof
Heaven Hill 7 - Bottled in Bond

Hickory Hill 12 - Single Barrel
Hudson Baby Bourbon
Jack Daniels
Knob Creek
Larceny - Small Batch
McKenna 10

Mellow Corn
Maker's Mark

Michter's 10
Michter's US 1 - Small Batch*
Old Forester 1920 - Prohibition Style*
Old Tub
Pinhook Bohemian Bourbon (95 Proof)
Pinhook - Bohemian Bourbon - High Proof (114.5)
Pinhook - Bourbon War - Vertical Series 4
Pinhook - Bourbon War - Vertical Series 5

Russell's Reserve 10
Stillhouse Black Bourbon*

Weller 12
Weller - Special Reserve

Widow Jane 10
Willet Distillery - Noah's Mill

Willet Distillery - Rowan Creek
Woodford Reserve
Woodinville Port Finished - Special Limited Release

Note: Previously purchased/opened bottles (or repurchased whether opened or not) are in black; recent additions that have not yet been but will be opened are in blue; substractions (tried before, finished and haven't repurchased yet) are in red; and, unopened bottles saved to the "libary" are in green. Faves are marked with an "*".

I approach my whiskey collecting the same way I do knives. I look for whiskeys that are either somewhat unique or notable that appeal to me personally and that represent a range of what is available.

I think that my bourbon collection is building up to that. My scotch collection is focused on Islay and other regional smoky/peated whiskeys but I am beginning to expand a bit beyond those limits as well.

My current price limit on whiskey is $100/bottle but, like my knife collecting, I expect this limit to rise as I find it more difficult to find whiskeys that I like and haven't tried yet below that limit.

Last edited:
Lucked into a single barrel Eagle Rare at a local shop today after finding a regular bottle at a big box chain yesterday. While not in any way worthy of top billing, a glass of ER is nice from time to time.

I understand that Eagle Rare 10 is hard to find in some places (my local Total Wine & More was limiting purchases to only 1) but my neighborhood Safeway always seems to have bottles of it in stock. Bought an extra bottle to keep on hand in case that changes.

Sincerely,
John

John,

I too would consider myself a "budget connoisseur"

I've dabbled in different liquors (all budget minded) from brandy, cognac, tequila, rum, vodka, and finally happened upon "budget" bourbon. Recently tried some scotch but that flavor profile doesn't suit me too well.

So far i've found bourbon to be my favorite budget spirit. You can find great sippers in the 20-30 dollar mark and excellent ones in the 30-50 mark.

I guess it kinda depends on what flavors and aspects you enjoy as well.

For me I really like a lightly sweet, heavy wood/leather flavor with some spice with a small amount of burn.

The one that really blew me away was the Knob Creek Small Batch 9 Year can be had for $26 (on sale) to $33 shelf price.
It has a great sweet flavor some vanilla with heavy wood and leather, super smooth and a little spice, leaves a pleasant finish with some hints of crème brulee. Just excellent...

And for 5-10 bux more you can opt for the Knob Creek Single Barrel Select which gives you similar taste notes but a lot more heat/spice @120 proof.

I have yet to try the 12-15 year bottles as they are usually marked at $50-70 at my local stores (waiting for a sale)

The Knob Creek has become my staple, nightly night-cap as it is consistent and readily available and very affordable.

The other ones that fit my taste are the Four Roses Single Barrel ($41-$50) 1792 Small Batch ($32-39) and Jeffersons ($36-42)

Good luck on your journey and enjoy!

Last edited:

Sincerely,
John
Greetings and Merry Christmas !
Lots of valuable entries on the subject, I can only +1 to the opinions of Steel_Addiction and sgt_1372.

I can add few bottles, readily available and below $30 or in this price range:

1. Evan Williams Single Barrel (HH), 8 years old, usually around $23 in FL where I live.
Excellent pour, from excellent maker, Sazerac purchased Evan Williams from Heaven Hill and most people think that this particular bottle will be released with new label and new price next year, will see. Either way - great Bourbon.

2. Another vote for Knob Creek Small Batch 9 Year Old and if you like to spend few more bucks - Single Barrel Select.
Generally, to me, everything that comes from Knob Creek with 9 YO statement and 100 or 120+ proof worth every penny.

3. Another vote for Old Tub, made by Jim Beam. Great and readily available pour, for the money it is much better IMO than most of the Jim Beam Line.

4. larceny (HH) and Elijah Craig (HH), both the normal line, great and good quality bourbons, Larceny is wheated Bourbon if I'm not mistaking.

5. Just an idea - SAM's Club carries few of the Knob Creek and Russel's lines at much cheaper prices.
Russel's is basically Wild Turkey, great Bourbon.

6. Since some of the above brands are made by Heaven Hill, I must mention the Heaven Hill White label.
Very good stuff even inexpensive. There is no "cheap" Bourbon if it comes from good Distillery...

7. Another all time favorite of mine - 1792... Every expression you can lay your hands on it, will be good,
the 1792 Full Proof was named "World Whiskey of 2020" by Jim Murray, if I remember correctly, but even without the controversial title it is absolutely wonderful juice IMO.

8. Originally very skeptical, but now a believer, I would highly recommend the Duke, gravitates around $29-$36+ around here, very, very good Bourbon, supposed to be over the original recipe of John Wayn, made by the O.Z. Tyler Distillery in Kentucky.

9. Every decently priced product of Buffalo Trace Distillery will be good, no exceptions.

Few brands to note, above the $30 mark: Bulleit, Michter's, Pinhook (Excellent Rye) and few MGP - High West, Old Scout (5 YO or Contradiction Expressions)

I'm sure someone can add more great Bourbons that I 'm missing but I think you have few to choose for now... :D My offerings are mostly at the bottom line of the price point but if you really want to appreciate this so American thing - Bourbon, you need to start from the basics and go up the ladder, I think, low price doesn't mean much when we talking about Bourbon, you need to research the Distillery and their traditions, don't jump right away on the "high price means better quality" wagon, it's not a rule when we talk Bourbon...

Happy Holidays everyone, wasn't Bourbon for me last night but my drinking buddies and I greatly appreciated it :thumbsup:

3oAssx.jpg

Last edited:
Back