Blades & Bourbon

No way in hell would I pay $250 for a bottle of Weller 12. If you’re patient, it will come - if not, then there are plenty of others that are worth the scratch. I lucked out back in August at one of my local Spec’s (who don’t price gouge...)

025BCEB2-67E2-4558-A2E5-85A997B3001C.jpeg
F201FF68-66CF-463B-9EA3-DEA2EB83101D.jpeg

No way in hell would I pay $250 for a bottle of Weller 12. If you’re patient, it will come - if not, then there are plenty of others that are worth the scratch. I lucked out back in August at one of my local Spec’s (who don’t price gouge...)

Looks like I really need to take a trip or find a friend in another state to avoid the bourbon price gougers! :(

Doesn't seem to be the same problem w/scotch but I agree that the asking prices I'm seeing for hard to find bourbons here in CA are really outrageous.

Fortunately there are still many excellent lower priced bourbons available. :)

Last edited:
View attachment 1487337
I was so focused on setting up my taste test yesterday morning, I forgot to put the knife on the table. I could tell you it was something fancy; but it was just my usual Buck 501.

Every time I have Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, I think to myself how much it reminds me off Noah's Mill; so I finally got around to a blind side by side. I hadn't had Noah's Mill in about a year, and it had been 2 or 3 years since I'd had RRSB. I didn't really have any specific goal in mind; and it became a game of Which is Noah's? Each round had the drinks moved around outside of my view, and placed in front of me. I had the same snack before each sip of the round; and I did each round with my eyes closed, so appearance didn't play a role. I picked the Noah's Mill successfully, 3/3; but I still think the RRSB has a fairly similar taste.
I'll probably do it again as a direct comparison, focusing more on appreciating the similarities and differences.

View attachment 1487337
I was so focused on setting up my taste test yesterday morning, I forgot to put the knife on the table. I could tell you it was something fancy; but it was just my usual Buck 501.

Every time I have Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, I think to myself how much it reminds me off Noah's Mill; so I finally got around to a blind side by side. I hadn't had Noah's Mill in about a year, and it had been 2 or 3 years since I'd had RRSB. I didn't really have any specific goal in mind; and it became a game of Which is Noah's? Each round had the drinks moved around outside of my view, and placed in front of me. I had the same snack before each sip of the round; and I did each round with my eyes closed, so appearance didn't play a role. I picked the Noah's Mill successfully, 3/3; but I still think the RRSB has a fairly similar taste.
I'll probably do it again as a direct comparison, focusing more on appreciating the similarities and differences.

So which is which and which did you like better?

I haven't even opened my bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 yet but have already open/tasted the Noah's Mill which tastes really hot to me and isn't one of my favorites.

Will make it a point to taste them side by side can give you my opinion in a day or so.

I'm photographically lazy but will try to post of pic of the bottles/glasses together w/an appropriate knife at that time.

Which reminds me that I still need to post my pre-tasting pic of the Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve w/a La Aroma de Cuba cigar and my tasting notes about them as well.

;)

Last edited:
sgt1372 sgt1372 It was your previous comments about Noah's Mill that reminded me to do the side by side. Noah's Mill is 12% ABV higher than the regular Russell's Reserve; so they will be markedly different...and given what you have said a couple times about Noah's Mill, I don't doubt that you will like Russell's Reserve better.
The RR Single Barrel is only 2% less ABV than Noah's Mill (110 pr vs 114, for those that prefer that measure); and, accordingly, better for comparison (IMO).

As far as which is which in that picture, I have no idea. There is a small white sticker on the bottom of each glass; one marked with an N, the other with an R. I like both...the Noah's Mill is perhaps a bit more robust. I've been drinking it longer, and am more likely to purchase it than RRSB, if for no reason more than habit. Bottom line - I prefer Rare Breed over both of them

Working out of town again. Stopped in to their local shop and saw this bottle sitting in the back corner calling my name...got excited had to snap a picture at the job site tonight...cant wait to get home and crack into it...heard very good things hopefully not disappointed....

20210108_174147.jpg

@sqt1372 ---> I did try all of the Scotch from your list, I have to tell you, Aberlour is a fine juice,
but this tops the list for me:
Bunnahabhain 18 yo
Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve
Genfiddich 14 (Bourbon casked)

I'm also big fan of blended Scotch in particular of some expressions of Johnnie Walker - Island Green is my favorite but it's hard to find because it is not sold in stores, only on Cruise Ships. IMO it is one step below the Double Black, that should be the smokier line of the JW and I'm not much fond of it. All three Green labels are with different ppm and the Green label is the only one, I believe, that have listed all the components of the blend on the back of the box.

lCNK1x.jpg

I'm not crazy at all about the Blue but there is a Johnnie Walker Black Centenary Edition that to me is probably the best JW of all.
poc9Ocbgj

The Platinum and 18 yo are not bad either...

No way in hell would I pay $250 for a bottle of Weller 12.
Totally agree... My Weller 12 came from a friend of mine who gave it to me, he got it from the ABC Vault and as much as I can guess it was below $60.

Epiphany is big Eastern Orthodox Holiday, I had few friends over the other day, and of course they all brought bottles... :D
We finished one Eagle rare and one Green Weller, the bottle on the picture came from the same ABC store and it's only $22...
Hiding in the back are two other excellent bottles - the 4 yo Willet Rye and Old Scout Single Barrel 4 yo Rye.

aNunnP.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JAB
Working out of town again. Stopped in to their local shop and saw this bottle sitting in the back corner calling my name...got excited had to snap a picture at the job site tonight...cant wait to get home and crack into it...heard very good things hopefully not disappointed....

View attachment 1487685

Great find - I was lucky enough to come across 3 bottles at MSRP this year. I have been enjoying the first bottle so far. Being single barrel, I know there will be some variation.

View attachment 1486142

View attachment 1486143

I have to admit to spending close to double MSRP on one of the two bottles I came across this year, but I was tired of this particular search. Spec's has been good to me this year - McKenna 10, Eagle Rares, Old Forester 150th Anniversary, Smoke Wagon Uncut, 2 Blanton's, Angel's Envy Cask 2020 plus a few more - all at MSRP

sgt1372 sgt1372 It was your previous comments about Noah's Mill that reminded me to do the side by side. Noah's Mill is 12% ABV higher than the regular Russell's Reserve; so they will be markedly different...and given what you have said a couple times about Noah's Mill, I don't doubt that you will like Russell's Reserve better.

The RR Single Barrel is only 2% less ABV than Noah's Mill (110 pr vs 114, for those that prefer that measure); and, accordingly, better for comparison (IMO).

So, I just did a side-by-side tasting of Noah's Mill with Russell's Reserve 10 (not Single Barrel) which is what I have, which is not the same tasting as yours with Noah's Mill at 114.3 Proof and my RR10 at 95 Proof.

Trying to be "scientific" (or at least systematic) about it, I tasted each neat, with some water and on ice.

Here are my impressions,

Noah Hill

Nose: A sweet w/aromas of honey & vanilla.
Neat: Very hot spicy; overwhelming any flavors.
Water: Still hot/spicy w/a more floral aroma.
Ice: Much smoother taste w/a sweeter and more floral aroma w/a hit of cinnamon.

Liked it on ice best.

RR10

Nose: Medicinal and woody
Neat: Very hot/spicy; overhelming but could taste some sweetness.
Water: Still hot/spicy but much smoother w/an orange peel aroma.
Ice: Total loss of flavor but much sweeter/orange notes in aroma.

Liked it w/a little water best.

I did take a photo of the tasting w/a knife in the pic that I'll try to post later.

@sqt1372 ---> I did try all of the Scotch from your list, I have to tell you, Aberlour is a fine juice,
but this tops the list for me:
Bunnahabhain 18 yo
Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve
Genfiddich 14 (Bourbon casked)

I'm also big fan of blended Scotch in particular of some expressions of Johnnie Walker - Island Green is my favorite but it's hard to find because it is not sold in stores, only on Cruise Ships. IMO it is one step below the Double Black, that should be the smokier line of the JW and I'm not much fond of it. All three Green labels are with different ppm and the Green label is the only one, I believe, that have listed all the components of the blend on the back of the box..

I know this is a bourbon thread and have been posting my scotch comments in the other thread that I mention previously but since you brought it up, here are my scotch comments in return.

I just opened a bottle of Aberlour 16 (America oak/sherry double cask) and A'Bunadh (Oloroso sherry butt casked). The Arberlour 16 was delicious (could drink it neat but a little water still helps) and I am considering adding it to my list of scotch favorites. The A'Bunadh gets rave reviews; it was good but did not impress me the way the 16 did.

Also bought/opened a bottle of Dalmore Cigar Malt Reserve that I tasted w/a full flavor cigar which I also loved. Not going to add it to my general favorite's list but it tasted perfect w/the cigar which I attribute to it's very sweet flavor.

PPHDAQk.jpg

Also bought/opened a bottle of Glenfiddich 14 (Bourbon casked). Like the A'Bunadh, it was good but also didn't impress me. Going to buy a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 to try to compare it w/the bourbon casking effect in the 14.

Have opened/tasted a bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 and Toiteach a Dha. Perfer the latter because it's peated, which is my "thing" but think that Bruchladdich's Classic Laddie (also unpeated) is better than Bunnahabhain 12.

As for blends, I only drank Chivas, JW Red and J&B when I was young and the 1st blended scotch that I tried since then was JW Green 15 which I really like because it is an excellent blend of 15 yr old Talisker, Caol Ila, Linkwood and Cragganmore -- Talisker 10 and Caol Ila 14 being 2 of my favorite single malts. So, I've added JW Green 15 to my favorites list too. Haven't seen or tried the other Green Lables that I didn't even know existed.

I bought/tasted a bottle of JW Double Black because word was that it was more peaty/smoky than the Single Black (or the Green). Again, I thought it was ok but I still like the Green Label better. Will probably buy a bottle of the Single Black just to make a full comparison of the 3.

Also bought/opened a bottle of the unpeated Artist's Blend of Great King St by Compass Box and Compass Box's Peat Monster. They are both good but I likede the unpeated Artist's Blend (as compared w/other unpeated scotches) better than the Peat Monster (as compared w/other peated scotches).

There is also a Glasgow Blend of Great King St that is peated that I am hoping to find and try as well.

Too cheap (at this point) to buy Bunnahabhain 18 or JW Blue, so can't comment on those. ;)

Last edited:
Just opened my bottle of Heaven's Hill 7 yr Bottled in Bond.

Very tasty; old school. Really like it, almost as much as the Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style and more than I think I like Russell's Reserve 10. Easy to drink neat but preferred it over ice.

The 1st 3 are all high corn mash bourbons. For HH7, 78%C, 10%R & 12% Barley. 1920, 72%C, 18%R & 10% B and RR10, 75%C, 13%R & 12%; the only other apparent differences being in the proof and aging which are 100P/7yr, 115P/Undisclosed and 90P/10yr.

Just based on the "data," it seems like the HH7 and RR10 would be closer in taste. So, a side-by-side comparison of the 3 is in order.

Last edited:
I've seen, and thought I tried, the Heaven Hill BIB; but I have no real recollection of it. I'll have to look through my pictures in the other thread...

That said, if I tried it, I have a hard time thinking it compares favorably to the 1920... I'm not disputing your taste - just thinking it's more likely that I never actually bought it, since none of the stuff I've bought just to try lately has been at that level.

I grabbed a picture of some locked up stock at my local liquor store today for you folks that get your boozes at MSRP.
We certainly don't in these parts.:mad:

2mWiTK7.jpg

cj7fmfz.jpg

gnf07DE.jpg

Then there's this one I haven't been able to taste for a few years that was just procured.
It's gonna be good...:)

rEtRhkF.jpg

Back