Blades & Bourbon

z5gNRho.jpg

My local TWM sells Vertical 5 for for $47 -- about $8 less than the store in Mill Valley.
This is actually very good price ! I'm planning on getting two bottles of the Vertical Series Bourbon and will stock two bottles from this year release as well as the following years, this way I can always have an opened and un-opened bottle to compare...
You are not missing anything... In a way, there are so many great Bourbons, that there will be always something to explore,
traditional or craft, no-one can collect all great bottles that are floating around...
Talking about the Vertical series, you should probably follow another very high regarded spirit, even it was not completely traditional in the beginning: Smooth Ambler's Old Scout, 5 and 13 years old... They completely sold their first batch of the 4 and 5 years old Bourbon and people were paying arm and leg on the secondary market for one of those because they were that good. Now they released a 5 and 13 yo juices that are absolutely outstanding !
Here is another craft Bourbon that I picked up yesterday, not bad for MGP Bourbon, very tasty, priced below $40.
Cheers Gents !
D1DC1r.jpg

A 6 day film and discussion series called the "Water of Life" (not about Aquavit) about the men/women who make (scotch) whiskey is premiering online tomorrow.

Looks interesting but you have to pay to watch - $15 for the 1st night, $25 for the full event. Not something I'd pay to see but there may be someone here who's interested, so I thought ti worth posting info about it here.

See: The Water of Life Website

And see: Article on Wiskey Wash About The Film/Discussion Series

Here is another craft Bourbon that I picked up yesterday, not bad for MGP Bourbon, very tasty, priced below $40. Cheers Gents !
D1DC1r.jpg

I saw this on the shelf the other day. Looked interesting and will give it a try down the road.

I'm a sucker for simple/attractive "labeling" and am interested in bourbons that are being finished in flavored barrels to compare w/scotches finished in the same way.

Keep in mind, it's not traditional Bourbon, it's MGP but not bad at all, I'm in the same "finishing" page :D
I don't mind MGP when it's well done.

Keep in mind, it's not traditional Bourbon, it's MGP but not bad at all, I'm in the same "finishing" page :D
I don't mind MGP when it's well done.

If you mean that "it's MGP" that "it's sourced" and not distilled and bottled "on site," I really am not that particular about how a bourbon (or any othe liquor) is made.

I really only care how it tastes and, fact is, there are a lot of "sourced" bourbons (as well as "blended" scotches, eg., Compass Box and JW Green which are among my favorites) that taste really great.

Just ran across the following article that discusses the "sourcing" of bourbons in general and identifies specific brands that are sourced and also taste great.

See: The Best Sourced Bourbon.

Among the brands named in the article that I already own and can vouch for the claim of being among the best "sourced" bourbons (and perhaps among the best generally) are: Widow Jane, Bulleit, Angel's Envy and Pinhook.

And also on the list are several that I still want to try, as soon as I empty a few bottles currently on my shelf, including: Burning Chair, Jefferson's Ocean Aged, High West and Redemption.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAB
If you mean that "it's MGP" that "it's sourced" and not distilled and bottled "on site," I really am not that particular about how a bourbon (or any othe liquor) is made.

I really only care how it tastes and, fact is, there are a lot of "sourced" bourbons (as well as scotches, eg., Compass Box and JW Green which are among my favorites) that taste really great.

Just ran across the following article that discusses the "sourcing" of bourbons in general and identifies specific brands that are sourced and also taste great.

See: The Best Sourced Bourbon.

Among the brands named in the article that I already own and can vouch for the claim of being among the best "sourced" bourbons (and perhaps among the best generally) are: Widow Jane, Bulleit, Angel's Envy and Pinhook.

And also on the list are several that I still want to try, as soon as I empty a few bottles currently on my shelf, including: Burning Chair, Jefferson's Ocean Aged, High West and Redemption.
Nothing wrong with sourced juice.
Basically it's the customer's mash bill and made to their specs so it really wouldn't be that much different being produced at their own site.
Also many companies use a sourced product only to bolster their own in house releases, if for no other reason than to get a foot in the door of the industry until they can produce 100% of their own when the money starts rolling in.
Casking and storage make more of a difference in the final product, that and getting the blend right.
MGP was going to release their own aged product a couple of years ago, not sure if they did or not, I'll look it up.

Nothing wrong with sourced juice.
Basically it's the customer's mash bill and made to their specs so it really wouldn't be that much different being produced at their own site.
Also many companies use a sourced product only to bolster their own in house releases, if for no other reason than to get a foot in the door of the industry until they can produce 100% of their own when the money starts rolling in.
Casking and storage make more of a difference in the final product, that and getting the blend right.
MGP was going to release their own aged product a couple of years ago, not sure if they did or not, I'll look it up.
Remus is the MGP brand

As the Barman1 said: "Nothing wrong with sourced Bourbon". In fact I like it a lot.
When I mentioned MGP, I meant specifically MGP of Indiana, supplier of the Noble Oak Bourbon, before they locally put the staves in it and do the Compression Finishing.
Other than this, Smooth Ambler, High West, New Riff and Pinhook (before they both started to produce their own Juice) are one of my all time favorite Sourced Bourbons. Lots of new companies are starting with sourced bourbon, some are ordering specific mash bills and aged products from Indiana, other are contracting well known companies to produce the bourbon for their label. Lots of the new, trendy Bourbons are actually produced by Knob Creek, Heaven Hill and G.Dickel.
Just to mentioned few: Old Elk is another impressive juice that I came across lately and enjoyed, must mention Smoke Wagon from Las Vegas, all very tasty and well balanced drinks IMHO.
High West and Redemption are excellent Bourbons, I would recommend the upper shelf of the Redemption, any o f the releases of the High West would do it, they all are very good, my favorite is Double Rye.
Jefferson is another very interesting company, unfortunately not every one of their "Voyages" (this is how they name their numbered releases) are, I hate to say "Good" because they are, but let's say - "memorable"... I did try few and wasn't impressed of it, for the price you pay for a juice that was stored on the hull of a tanker that crossed the Equator few times. It worth the try, I'd say - do some research which "Voyage" worth the money and try it...

Sorry for the messed up picture, tried to catch all of my sourced bottles at the moment.

JTCyRY.jpg

Last edited:
Best in class??
Is Old Grand-Dad 114 the best over 100 proof bourbon? No!
Is it the best budget bourbon? No!
Is it the best-over-100-proof-budget-bourbon, ABSOLUTELY!!
114 proof for under $25 (at one of my favorite local shops)
View attachment 1498051

Not necessarily "a favorite"; but I buy/drink a bottle every bourbon season. Okay, being honest, probably only every other

Last edited:
So I guess the Inkosi arrived?:D

Yessir! Cleaned, lubed, sharpened, and polished the thumbstuds and I can't kick it out of the pocket! The insingo blade works best on the Inkosi, out of all the CRKs I think. Just such a perfect cutter.

Back