Blades & Bourbon

my recollection is that I preferred the Pinhook High Proof to Noah's Mill too
I don't doubt that, as you stated Noah's Mill was to hot for your taste...but, since you quoted me, I'll restate that I prefer Noah's Mill. Doesn't really matter - different strokes, and all that - but the passage I quoted seems to suggest that I said I prefer the pinhook.
Probably time to do that and to also open the bottle of Rowan's Creek for a side-by-side comparison
A side-by-side with Rowan's isn't exactly fair given the difference in proof. I like Rowan's Creek a lot...but sometimes it needs a bit of air to mellow it. It's one that I generally split into two bottles as soon as I open it, and decide whether to let it sit after my first glass.

174261713_167100758608435_7961474764516507176_n.png

Dutch Flamand Knife by Ken Hamilton. Examples of this Knife have been found here in Maine as a "Trade Knife" with the Native Tribes (if memory serves circa late 1600's).

173976098_934242784057855_188520257504025759_n.png

DUTCH FLAMAND
HARDBALL

Last edited:
last F-Rye-Day, excellent stuff, all of them :thumbsup:
The Canadian Rye didn't impress me much, didn't feel any aftertaste, maybe it's me...
The two Coalition bottles - top shelf stuff, the Barrel proof was little bit ethanol-y on the front end and the Margaux finished, IMO the wine overpowers little bit the Rye but overall - very unique pours.
I probably liked the most Michter's... :D
Anyway, all of them were enjoyable. Cheers everybody !

wqNanm.jpg

Another bottle of bourbon I just bought (based on price and reviews that I've read) along w/a CRKT Terzuola BT-70.

rLjqwvr.jpg

Still buying bourbon but really need to cut back. So, no plans to open this bottle for awhile.
Okay - you twisted my arm...I'm going to buy a bottle of Rare Breed tomorrow. That should give yours a reasonable amount of rest on the shelf - what is a good time for you to raise a glass?

Okay - you twisted my arm...I'm going to buy a bottle of Rare Breed tomorrow. That should give yours a reasonable amount of rest on the shelf - what is a good time for you to raise a glass?

I'm serious about taking a break. Been drinking way too much booze recently.

Right now I've got more unopened than opened bottles of bourbon on the shelf (11 vs 9) plus 6 unopened bottles of Eagle Rare in reserve in the wine closet.

And that doesn't even include the 52 bottles of scotch (42 opened and 10 unopened) or the 50+ bottles of wine that I also have "lying around."

Talk about too much booze, LOL! ;)

Another bottle of bourbon I just bought (based on price and reviews that I've read) along w/a CRKT Terzuola BT-70.

rLjqwvr.jpg

Still buying bourbon but really need to cut back. So, no plans to open this bottle for awhile.

OUTSTANDING sgt.

I've been "hording" my (unopened) bottle of Wild Turkey RARE BREED for several years! I went through my first bottle of WT RB waaay too fast!
GREAT Bourbon! I've also stashed away a bottle of "RED BREAST 12" Irish Whiskey which I've have tucked away for perhaps eight years or more! It's so damn expensive that I'm afraid to open this one. An OUTSTANDING "Irish" Whiskey!

HARDBALL

Two new bottles for me, last night Old Forester 1870:

qSVc5x.jpg

And tonight - Old Forester 1897 BIB. Both outstanding and tasty pours, readily available, original recipes, not breaking the bank and low or high proof if you prefer one of those. Great stuff.

And BF didn't disappointed again - I found another new friend and a new knife ! Thank you Brad ! I love it !
Cheers Gents !

iC7Bby.jpg

I'm serious about taking a break. Been drinking way too much booze recently.

Right now I've got more unopened than opened bottles of bourbon on the shelf (11 vs 9) plus 6 unopened bottles of Eagle Rare in reserve in the wine closet.
Fine - no Rare Breed for me tomorrow (still going to some, though).
There is a simple solution to your problem: stop counting. Hoard all you want, take pleasure in the sight of the bottles, name drop from time to time (especially if you've got something worth mentioning). None of that stuff is a problem until numbers come into the story.:confused:

Fine - no Rare Breed for me tomorrow (still going to some, though).
There is a simple solution to your problem: stop counting. Hoard all you want, take pleasure in the sight of the bottles, name drop from time to time (especially if you've got something worth mentioning). None of that stuff is a problem until numbers come into the story.:confused:

I'm a collector and "counter" by nature.

When I stop counting, I stop collecting and only stop collecting when I run out of space (when I can only buy more, if I sell something else). This has happened with my guns, knives, art work, LPs and cars but I still have some more room for booze. LOL!

I have enough booze now to open a small whiskey bar and, if I wasn't a hermit and had any friends, I could just let them drink down the stock w/o worrying about becoming an alcoholic. Double LOL!

Talk about too much booze
I was getting worried that I was alone in having too much booze. At the end of March I gave two nephews and a niece 2 bottles each of good whiskey - 1 for each new baby and 1 for each new house warming. I left one bottle of Old Grand Dad for my older brother when he visits his daughter. I gave two bottles to a step son as a home warming gift, including 1.5 liters of Johnny Walker Red. The other step son had missed Christmas, so I had a bottle for him as well. There is plenty left.

The rest is untouched and stored. I am savoring a 94 proof Elijah Craig Small Batch 1789 at the moment.

sgt1372 sgt1372 I started to respond; but chose to delete. I do understand the counting side...but I'm not that organized. Especially with a consumable - I have no desire to try to maintain a tally of bottles in vs bottles out. I did count once (I don't remember the number; but it was probably over 75 bottles of bourbon); then decided I should enjoy some of what I had rather than restocking.
My main issue with counting, though, is that a number make it hard to say I don't have enough...or <GASP> even too much

I'm a collector and "counter" by nature.

When I stop counting, I stop collecting and only stop collecting when I run out of space (when I can only buy more, if I sell something else). This has happened with my guns, knives, art work, LPs and cars but I still have some more room for booze. LOL!

I have enough booze now to open a small whiskey bar and, if I wasn't a hermit and had any friends, I could just let them drink down the stock w/o worrying about becoming an alcoholic. Double LOL!
Lol yeah I have over 110 bottles of bourbon and scotch as well. Slowing down on buying right now.

Two new bottles for me, last night Old Forester 1870:

qSVc5x.jpg

And tonight - Old Forester 1897 BIB. Both outstanding and tasty pours, readily available, original recipes, not breaking the bank and low or high proof if you prefer one of those. Great stuff.

And BF didn't disappointed again - I found another new friend and a new knife ! Thank you Brad ! I love it !
Cheers Gents !

iC7Bby.jpg
Heck Yeah! Probably the best deal on a production knife that is out there right now. Cheers my friend! Brad

Lol yeah I have over 110 bottles of bourbon and scotch as well. Slowing down on buying right now.
Gosh, I thought there is something wrong with me but I see, a fit right where I belong to... :D
I'm running about the same count, part opened, part un-opened that I'm exchanging with friends or just giving away...
You Gents have a nice weekend, and Brad - thanks again man, love it !

fOIkud.jpg

I haven't had a drink in about a week and a half :(
Sitting here, watching Justified, with a bottle of WT101 on the table; trying to decide if I'd rather be awake all night, or have a few sips and hopefully get some sleep.
View attachment 1553496

I might have to gather up (at least some of) my bourbon stash for a picture at some point this week. I'm not going to count the bottles, though; and I'll ask that you not tell me the number.

*Edited to add: it's an hour and a half later... I'm going in. (fixed blade on the table; the other two are back in my pockets)

Last edited:
Back