Blades n BBQ!

Spatchcock is the only way for me, I rub it with olive oil, and separate the skin from the breast and put some oil in there as well. Then apply the rub everywhere, under the skin included, and smoke!
Being honest. I used a Meater probe and, going by it to the letter, it overcooked this one. Was a little dry. Should have went off of intuition..... oh well. Will try again (with a corded or insta read!)

aLxQOHd.jpg

3HODDA6.jpg

K0eGQwM.jpg

lmXW6FK.jpg

D1TW57i.jpg

Pmfn5Sn.jpg

RMpT6AE.jpg

PZheEnU.jpg

JMTVIvf.jpg

Rat one is a great knife. How about some smoker specs?
The smoker is a custom 60" x 24" offset with insulated firebox made by Big Phil down in Texas. It weighs in at around 950 pounds.

I'll post more photos next time I cook...it was a well-deserved gift to myself for our 25th wedding anniversary, and I think it's absolutely spectacular! :)

The smoker is a custom 60" x 24" offset with insulated firebox made by Big Phil down in Texas. It weighs in at around 950 pounds.

I'll post more photos next time I cook...it was a well-deserved gift to myself for our 25th wedding anniversary, and I think it's absolutely spectacular! :)
I bet it holds temp like a dream! The difference 1/4” steel makes is night n day.

Got my first rat 1 n 2 a few weeks ago. Was blown away by the quality. Best knife dollar for dollar!

Last edited:
I bet it holds temp like a dream! The difference 1/4” steel makes is night n day.

Got my first rat 1 n 2 a few weeks ago. Was blown away by the quality. Best knife dollar for dollar!
For sure - holds temperature great and drafts like a champ.

If there's a better value than the Rat 1, I'd like to know what it is...and I liked mine even better after adding DIY micarta scales.

I've never owned or used a smoker but Ive been checking them out really hard when I'm out shopping. I need to make the plunge. Just need to do a little research so I know what to get. I'm a die hard griller though year round snow and all !

I've never owned or used a smoker but Ive been checking them out really hard when I'm out shopping. I need to make the plunge. Just need to do a little research so I know what to get. I'm a die hard griller though year round snow and all !
Pellet smokers are easy mode for smoking, the way Mitch and the other masters do it is an art form.

Well pellet grills are all the rage, cause ya just plug em in and set the temp and walk away. Boring if ya ask me and you also cant even get close to matching the flavor of an offset.

An offset takes some practice and there’s a learning curve but if ya into it, that’s the fun part. My lil cavebaby will hold temp for up to an hr and sometimes longer depending on the weather because it’s 1/4” steel. The trailer I have will hold for 45 minutes and maybe up to an hr after a few hrs of cooking and it’s finally hot but it’s only 1/8” diamond plated steel.

The weber kettle is a great way to start out as well. Ceramic eggs are incredible at holding temp also, just don’t get as much air flow as an offset.

Back