Blades upon Books - Traditionals

By a man who has written many excellent songs. Along with one great knife.

I always thought an answer was simple - drugs and explosive relationships. Or to move into a hotel and read the newspaper (John Prine).

I just can't find the time
To write my mind
The way I want it to read

View attachment 1620268View attachment 1620269

I have to admit I love this thread for the book recommendations as much as the knives. This book looks really interesting--I'm not a fan of Wilco (I couldn't have said who Jeff Tweedy is, just looked the book up so now I know) and I don't feel especially compelled to write music, but I am interested in the creative process more generally. This book probably would not have come across my radar otherwise, so thanks for that! Also, nice 86 :)

I have to admit I love this thread for the book recommendations as much as the knives. This book looks really interesting--I'm not a fan of Wilco (I couldn't have said who Jeff Tweedy is, just looked the book up so now I know) and I don't feel especially compelled to write music, but I am interested in the creative process more generally. This book probably would not have come across my radar otherwise, so thanks for that! Also, nice 86 :)

You’re welcome and thank you. I think the Black Jack would be 16 year old me’s ideal knife. Old me likes it a lot too!

I enjoy this thread as well. I read a lot, as time permits, and this is the next book on the list. I’m interested in how Jeff Tweedy explains songwriting and the elements to it I would never know exist or may not have thought about. I’ll probably learn a thing or five. Maybe not surprisingly, Wilco is one of my favorite bands and I liked Uncle Tupelo.

I often read math books like this one, written by world-class pro mathematicians for "laypersons", to see what topics the top folks in the field think everyone should know something about, and to see what sort of style and what examples they use (in hopes that I can appropriate some of that for my own uses).
ellenberg.hownot2bwrong.jpg

I think this is the most recent book by Sandford, and it's somewhat unusual in that the first half features Lucas Davenport, the "star" of one of the author's main series, while the second half features Virgil Flowers, the "star" of another of the author's main series. Davenport is trying to find smugglers who killed some Coast Guard members, and Virgil goes undercover, and underwater, to nail the bad guys.
sandford.oceanprey.jpg

(Cross my fingers and hope that I still have a wi-fi connection...)
- GT

B89D2589-AAAA-4A7B-B1DA-217C093EC6E5.jpeg

I was vacationing in Michigan's Upper Peninsula the past 2 weeks, so I thought it appropriate to read this example of escapist fiction in which Davenport goes to the U.P. to chase down a Manson-like cult of killers:
sandford.gatheringprey.jpg

I've also been reading this nonfiction selection which is substantially slower going and not what the industry would call a "page-turner". Pretty good book, though, in the tradition of Christian apologists such as C. S. Lewis. As my knife choice indicates, the book contains lots of food for thought.
keller.reasonforGod.jpg

- GT

MYSTERY! I almost fell for all the false clues pointing to the surprise killer of several women near an Army base! Excellent Jack Reacher novel.
child.theaffair.jpg

MATH! A "sequel" to this author's earlier popular mathematics exposition; it contains some interesting COVID-related stuff.
ellenberg.shape.jpg

GAMES! A chess book from a relatively young Ukrainian (I think) woman; not many chess books have authors who fit that description!
orlova.chessforbeginners.jpg

I started teaching an intro stats class this week, so I may not have much time for recreational reading for a while. (But I do have a few more photos from summer reading that still need posting.)

- GT

I took my son to Half Price Books yesterday and while browsing the used Science Fiction/Fantasy section I found a complete set of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun in book club editions and the second and third books in first editions, signed by the author - all six books in fine condition. I have no idea how these got missed by the book sorters and ended up out in the general books at nine bucks a piece instead of the rare/collectible section, but lucky me. They are shown here with two recent knives, RR dogleg whittlers in Sambar Stag circa 2005. Both knives were listed incorrectly on the Bay as something else and came in the wrong boxes.

LoSl3e1.jpg

Back