Blades upon Books - Traditionals

A4B15245-5959-4C9F-A6F7-FE95EC4B5206.jpeg

Here's a book I was reading when COVID-19 shut everything down in my state in March 2020. The pandemic made me very busy as I tried to figure out how to transition to online teaching, so I was usually exhausted each night and didn't do any recreational reading when I went to bed. So I finally gave up on the book and returned it to the closed library's book drop. When the local branch of the public library finally started operating almost normally in early June, this book was one that I checked out, started over, and actually completed almost 1.5 years after I first started it!
pappu.yearofthepitcher.jpg

- GT

Here's a book I was reading when COVID-19 shut everything down in my state in March 2020. The pandemic made me very busy as I tried to figure out how to transition to online teaching, so I was usually exhausted each night and didn't do any recreational reading when I went to bed. So I finally gave up on the book and returned it to the closed library's book drop. When the local branch of the public library finally started operating almost normally in early June, this book was one that I checked out, started over, and actually completed almost 1.5 years after I first started it!
View attachment 1601138

- GT
My mom was the biggest Bob Gibson fan! 😊👍

Here's another "sports" book I read recently:
evans.100easycheckmates.jpg

The 1-move checkmate problems were as easy as the title promised, since I just had to find that single move.
For me, the 2-move checkmates were more challenging because the opponent had several responses to many of the first moves I considered. But it wasn't too bad if I just looked for a first move that limited the opponent's response to a single forced reply. I'm not a good chess player, but I enjoy doing little chess puzzles like this.

- GT

Not a bay, a roadstead. One of the largest. My native town. Homesickness hurts but no matters, nice knife.

Dan.
You're a long way from home, I presume. Thank you, Dan, for the correction. I'm not a native speaker and really didn't know how to say it. Not a day goes by without leraning a bit more.

Gonzalo

Here's another "sports" book I read recently:
View attachment 1601244

The 1-move checkmate problems were as easy as the title promised, since I just had to find that single move.
For me, the 2-move checkmates were more challenging because the opponent had several responses to many of the first moves I considered. But it wasn't too bad if I just looked for a first move that limited the opponent's response to a single forced reply. I'm not a good chess player, but I enjoy doing little chess puzzles like this.

- GT
Gary, that all sounds impressive to me, but then again when my kids were little, they routinely beat me In checkers!😄

Gary, that all sounds impressive to me, but then again when my kids were little, they routinely beat me In checkers!😄
Did they REALLY beat you, or did you let them win? ;)
We didn't give our daughter very many "breaks" on game playing when she was growing up, especially when we started having week-long Rummikub tournaments as part of our Upper Peninsula vacation tradition. She'd get rather frustrated sometimes that she seldom won the "annual championship". But now that she's an adult and her mom and I are geezers with reduced mental powers, she cuts us no slack if she's around for a tournament, and has started winning regularly! :mad:🤓 Now I'm the frustrated one!

Might as well post another book. This is another in the Lucas Davenport series by John Sanford. IIRC, this one is about politics (2016 Presidential primaries, with one of the Democratic candidates a poorly-disguised Hilary Clinton type), with a climax of mayhem and chaos at the Iowa State Fair! :thumbsup:😲:thumbsup::cool:
sandford.extremeprey.jpg

- GT

Taking a break from Jack Reacher novels. Just started this one. Still not sure whether it will hold my interest. The beauty of borrowing an ebook from the library. I can return it and pick another book tout suite.
The Lake Design is a nice one to fidget with while reading.
vp1Sxhd.jpg

Re-read this novel last week. Set in the 1930s, published in 1960, still seems amazingly, and somewhat sadly, relevant today:
View attachment 1607201

- GT
Everyone should read To Kill A Mockingbird, Gary. We saw the Broadway play, with Jeff Daniels as Atticus Finch in 2018. Very powerful. I read the book again shortly after. The Cotton Sampler is a perfect choice for your picture!

Everyone should read To Kill A Mockingbird, Gary. We saw the Broadway play, with Jeff Daniels as Atticus Finch in 2018. Very powerful. I read the book again shortly after. The Cotton Sampler is a perfect choice for your picture!
I agree on your universal recommendation, Gary. I like the old movie with Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch (and Robert Duvall's film debut as Boo Radley), too.

The Cotton Sampler IS a great knife choice to go with that novel, but I have to confess that I didn't even think of that when I took the picture. :rolleyes: The knife just happened to be in my pocket at the time. Coincidence ...or Grand Design???

- GT

Back