Blades upon Books - Traditionals

I agree on your universal recommendation, Gary. I like the old movie with Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch (and Robert Duvall's film debut as Boo Radley), too.

The Cotton Sampler IS a great knife choice to go with that novel, but I have to confess that I didn't even think of that when I took the picture. :rolleyes: The knife just happened to be in my pocket at the time. Coincidence ...or Grand Design???

- GT
The old movie is classic. Gregory Peck is a hard act to follow, but Jeff Daniels rose to the occasion. I can't believe your knife choice wasn't intentional! That's awesome!

Looks like a book you'll enjoy, Todd. :thumbsup::cool:
I certainly enjoy that stag lambsfoot you have; I love that "big valley" right up the center of the mark side stag cover! :thumbsup::thumbsup:😁

Here's a book, recommended here, that I read recently:
box.openseason.jpg

It was pretty good, and I'll probably read another one to see if I acquire a taste for them. There were a couple of things about the novel that annoyed me, one of which was a minor things that still bugged me. Several times the reader is told that the game wardens drive these old green Ford pickups, but on the cover of this paperback, a Chevrolet pickup is pictured! 😲

- GT

I certainly enjoy that stag lambsfoot you have; I love that "big valley" right up the center of the mark side stag cover! :thumbsup::thumbsup:😁

View attachment 1608824

It was pretty good, and I'll probably read another one to see if I acquire a taste for them. There were a couple of things about the novel that annoyed me, one of which was a minor things that still bugged me. Several times the reader is told that the game wardens drive these old green Ford pickups, but on the cover of this paperback, a Chevrolet pickup is pictured! 😲

- GT
Thanks Gary, it’s well matched, here is the pile side.66C0D9F8-54F5-47A2-BC84-086681581961.jpeg
Boy those worked bolsters really dress up your canoe!👍
Little details in a book can really affect one’s impressions of the whole book. You’re very observant, I doubt I would have noticed that. 😊

here were a couple of things about the novel that annoyed me, one of which was a minor things that still bugged me. Several times the reader is told that the game wardens drive these old green Ford pickups, but on the cover of this paperback, a Chevrolet pickup is pictured
I think Gorky Park is one of several thrillers I've read, in which our hero picks up a double action revolver and locates the safety catch on the left side.

I think Gorky Park is one of several thrillers I've read, in which our hero picks up a double action revolver and locates the safety catch on the left side.
I'm not a gun guy, but IIRC that may have been the "cylinder release" (I don't know what the real name is) on my cap revolver when I was a kid. I suppose walking around with the cylinder hanging out is an effective safety against unintended firing! 🤪

- GT

I'm not a gun guy, but IIRC that may have been the "cylinder release" (I don't know what the real name is) on my cap revolver when I was a kid. I suppose walking around with the cylinder hanging out is an effective safety against unintended firing! 🤪

- GT
Exactly.

LbDf9H.jpg

View attachment 1608824

- GT
I just read that, good book.

Re-read this novel last week. Set in the 1930s, published in 1960, still seems amazingly, and somewhat sadly, relevant today:
View attachment 1607201

- GT
“Some men just make more money than other men…and some women bake better pies than other women…” - Atticus (I’m close but I think I got that one garbled a little - I taught that book to freshmen for a decade). Love the cotton sampler for it.

More recently-read escapist choices for me.
Lucas Davenport, US Marshall, hunts down killers who stole millions of dollars from drug dealers:
sandford.goldenprey.jpg

Virgil Flowers tries to track down men who kidnapped rare tigers from the zoo; the bad guys want to turn tiger parts into medicine, so time is of the essence in trying to catch the tigernappers:
sandford.escapeclause.jpg

- GT

My first thought was a Barlow, but these kids would have had the cheapest knives possible. If they each had their own they were doing well.
ql2WGUR.jpg

Not that these were bad knives.

The book has been at the top of a pile in the basement. I finally opened it to see what bay (Grand Traverse) and why whistle (don't know). I still don't remember it by title, but I read the story in elementary school when the book was new. This one is a reprint, maybe from a book club of Mom's.

By a man who has written many excellent songs. Along with one great knife.

I always thought an answer was simple - drugs and explosive relationships. Or to move into a hotel and read the newspaper (John Prine).

I just can't find the time
To write my mind
The way I want it to read

ED362DCA-2268-4F64-B350-FFC6F3416E53.jpegE5222D18-83F3-4FE2-B576-FB96DFB3F202.jpeg

Back