BM Crooked River vs. Spyderco Military

Another vote for Military. Carry one every day in S30V among others

For me Vel??? I'm so familiar with both, no consideration. I prefer the Axis, BUT the Spydie liner lock is a VERY well done lock and I have never doubted it once.
Joe
Thanks Joe, appreciate the input. That makes a lot of sense. I also prefer the axis, but have no problem with a properly executed liner... or backlock for that matter.

One of the really great things about this forum is that if you are considering two knives... no matter what the hell they may be... there's gonna be one of us who either own or have owned both models and can address specifics.

Love my Military's but think the blade shape of the CR is better if your hunting and cleaning game.

Can you elaborate on the statement that Axis locks develop blade play? I've had a 710 forever and not an issue. Also have a 940 and not an issue. Just curious what your experience has been.

Most, not all, of my Benchmades came with or developed rock lock over time. I know it's not an issue in normal use, but I'm pretty OCD about stuff like that. All except for the exception of the Griptilian. For some reason, most of the Grips I've owned have been solid. The 710, 810, Adamas, even the Anthem have developed blade play for me. If you grabbed the blade and wiggled it up and down, you could see the lockbar slightly moving back and forth, thus creating up/down play.

Reactions: Mo2
Thanks for the replies everyone. This community is simply amazing.

In regards to one reply about pricing, I have noticed when a CR hits the exchange it's usually around $160-170. Since I would need a lefty mili, I would have to buy from a dealer. Leftys hardly ever hit the exchange. That's why I put them in a closer value range.

How true Vel!
I have noticed the same my friend. I've also noticed that most of us will go out of our way to help in any way we can.
This place is just a great place to be.
I have sent knives to 'friends' here when they are undecided. This way they get the blade in hand.......it's really the only way to know.
Joe

Thanks Joe, appreciate the input. That makes a lot of sense. I also prefer the axis, but have no problem with a properly executed liner... or backlock for that matter.

One of the really great things about this forum is that if you are considering two knives... no matter what the hell they may be... there's gonna be one of us who either own or have owned both models and can address specifics.

In regards to one reply about pricing, I have noticed when a CR hits the exchange it's usually around $160-170. Since I would need a lefty mili, I would have to buy from a dealer. Leftys hardly ever hit the exchange. That's why I put them in a closer value range.

The ambidextrous feature of the Axis lock is indeed a plus for left-handed folks.

If we are talking about Exchange prices, the s30v non-coated Military can usually be had at about $120 in good/great/lnib condition, which again is at least $30 than CR in comparable condition.

Dont get me wrong - I think the BM CR is still a great knife though.

You picked two great knives. While I own both (and like both models) I would give a slight nod to the CR over the Military. The CR feels better in hand and has a more robust blade profile and tip for that matter.

The one advantage the Military has is variety. You can purchase a liner or frame lock. The Military is offered in numerous steels and scale colors. Seems that you have a nice problem to solve.

Last edited:
I’d go for the benchmade because it’s more of a hunting knife it is literally from there hunt line and it looks so damn good

All three knives are excellent models. A number of folks have already commented to various differences in ergonomics (blade shape, handle, pocket-clip orientation, etc.). A lot of great considerations from various perspectives.

I would comment related to your references about "lefty mili", as if a left-handed person might or should need this version ... Ya, Spyderco released a "left-handed" version (liner-lock & pocket-clip reversed), but I would caution you to not let anybody influence you that a left-handed person should/might need a left-handed version of a pocketknife.

Example: I am right hand dominant, and for years carried a "right handed" Military in left front pocket for left hand draw, opening & closing operation and have no issue what-so-even with a standard Military in that role. I "thought" I wanted/needed a lefty-mili for this role UNTIL I simply carried the right-handed version and learned how adaptive the overall standard design is. I think the only thing you would need or might want to learn, is that there are multiple ways of disengaging a liner-lock or frame-lock (I prefer a RIL-Mili aka Ti/G10-frame-lock) than how most may do it using their thumb, and trust this will become second nature very quickly.

Regards,

I have both, and would go the Military if I had to choose. But I would hate to have to choose, both are great large EDC folders.

One of my Millies is tip up, and I prefer that. The other isn't and I have no big problem with that.
The lesser weight, hole rather than studs, and FFG are factors to me in choosing.

No denying I prefer the Axis lock over the liner lock, but practically I have confidence in both.

The two things that keep me from getting a Millie are:

1. No tip up option

2. Weak detent

Anyone have any thoughts on these two issues as to how they relate to the two knives being discussed here?

Thx fellas.

There have been a couple of good alternatives to the Cooked River and the Military mentioned in this thread. I m surprised no one has mentioned the Cold Steel Recon 1.
I ve never held the CR, but the Recon 1 is a bit heavier than the Mili but seems much stronger, which is no small accomplishment. Well balanced and comfortable in hand. Comes with a spare clip to convert to L handed use. The flat ground spear point version seems ideal for outdoor use. FFG blade of xhp-cts. Has a history of great durability.
And,oh yeah, it costs a bit less than 100.00!
It s been great for me as an outdoor work knife and fine for edc. Seems as though it would be ideal as a camp knife.

As for looks, it looks fine. If a person buys a hard use camp knife based on looks, then his criteria for the purchase are different from mine. ;)

I've owned both and sold the BM. The spydie is lighter, higher textured, larger gripped and easier to use with winter gloves. Its also ffg and offers 3-4 grip positions for different tasks. At the cheaper price point it really wins big for me. Good luck

1. No tip up option

2. Weak detent

Anyone have any thoughts on these two issues as to how they relate to the two knives being discussed here?

Thx fellas.

Tip down only stopped me getting one for a long time. But once I did get one I found it no problem to adjust. It kinda suits the knife. My real issue with tip down is having the clip at that end when handling/using the knife, but it's flat and unobtrusive enough to be ok for me.
I got custom scales with tip up clip mounting for my other, and to me, tip up Military is awesome.

Detent on my S30V is ok, not that strong, but ok to me. Haven't had a problem with it.
On the S90V with scales, yeah the detent is kinda weak. But with the blade spine tucked into corner of the RFP I'm happy enough with it.

Detent on the CR starts a lot earlier and is stronger than on my Militaries.

You can Buy a plain Jane Military on the For Sale Forum for closer to $110 give or take. At $160 you're closer to a Sprint Run.

The Military is a slicer with the flat grind.

1. No tip up option

2. Weak detent

Thx fellas.

Mine has a perfect detent, and after adoption quickly learned to be tip up (thanks to a donation from it's Inkosi sibling).

U0aqWDY.jpg

6Y7LFeu.jpg

Gwfu5xk.jpg

3Z5oz9t.jpg

lsYbReB.jpg

If your main goal is processing animals, the Benchmade may be better. The Military is a better all around design for someone out in the woods with limited space and multiple needs.

1. No tip up option

2. Weak detent

Thx fellas.

Where did you exactly get that Spyderco Military has weak detent? Compared to what (models or lock types)? :rolleyes:

Back