"Bond. Leatherman Bond."

How does the Bond w/ pocket clip compare to the Skelatool?

I’m looking for a LM with a clip to carry in my front pocket.
- Wave - great tool. Too big and heavy for this purpose.
- Skelatool - size is good. Toolset is fine. Too many sharp edges and weird ergos for me both when using the pliers and when trying to slide my hand in my pocket to get whatever else may be in that same pocket.
- Juice would be good if it had a pocket clip.
I've never held a Skeletool, so I can't really answer that part of your question. I will say that the Bond is much more pocket-friendly than the Wave, both due to its smaller size and its curved/rounded edges. As far as getting your hand past it to retrieve other pocket items, I still found this difficult.
The Bond is basically a 4"x1 1/8"x5/8" box.

Lightweight go with sidekick or wingman.
I would tend to agree with Yo-Mama. The Sidekick was my first Leatherman multitool, and I always carried it clipped in my pocket. The Sidekick/Wingman are nicely contoured to fit into pockets well.

Most of the washers between the tools are steel, but there are a few of the thin bronze washers that Leatherman uses on the blade pivots of the Wave. How do I know this? From disassembling and reassembling my Bond multiple times. I've gotten very good at locating dropped washers on the floor! I'm pretty sure that the washers on the plier pivots are the same bronze type as well.
Probably that kind of bronze stuff commonly used in modern folders ?

Before I swapped blades, I did try tightening the pivot screw. I was fortunate to have some spare parts on hand, so that is why I did the swap. If I had to go out and purchase another multi tool or parts, I would not have modded the tool. The blade is from a rebar and the bit holder is from a wave. I think it is a bonus that you can rob the Leatherman parts bin to make the tool how you like it. Just make sure to have some extra spacer washers on hand. If I had a pair of scissors from the wave I would have added that to the file side by swapping out the lanyard ring and one of the slotted screw drivers.

I am glad to hear that Leatherman is looking into the blade issue with the Bond. For a $40.00 multi tool they have done a fantastic job. They really put a lot of thought into it.

JonesE
Incredible work. Old thread but hopefully you see this. What sort of spacer washers do you need? Where can I get them?

Scissors for ring and one screw driver is a great swap. Do you think that needs spacers too? Can’t wait to try this. Thanks for the help. Fingers crossed you do see this

The scissors might need spacers; the best place to get them is from another Leatherman. The tricky part is the little “thumb tab” on the scissor handle; it might make it more difficult to fit in certain positions in the Bond.

The scissors might need spacers; the best place to get them is from another Leatherman. The tricky part is the little “thumb tab” on the scissor handle; it might make it more difficult to fit in certain positions in the Bond.
Awesome info! Thanks a ton!!

After almost 2.5 years of carry every work day ( I may have went back to the fuse a couple times) and never once using the smaller flat blade driver on my Bond I decided to modify it into something that might be more useful.
I turned it into basically a semi sharp chisel for small scraping tasks.
20230804_100424.jpg
20230804_100225.jpg
20230804_100240.jpg

Attachments

• 20230804_100240.jpg
    20230804_100240.jpg
    527.1 KB · Views: 1
I've posted this elsewhere, but was able to add a saw to my Bond by only removing the lanyard ring (the most useless tool of all).
I did end up rounding the edge of the saw to get the tool to close more smoothly.

I have had this bond (and one other) for about a year and a half and find it an ideal tool to carry when headed to large cities that don't like locking blades.
I modified my other Bond to have no blade at all, by replacing the knife with a saw. I carry this in Europe with more strict rules that prevent even carrying a SAK. I am an engineer and have found myself severely lacking in the past with nothing in my pocket.

In both cases it's the standard "Rebar" saw. On the Knifeless Bond I also added a scissor from the Wave (I moved the can opener to the other handle and took out the lanyard ring again).

Saw added to Bond:
Leatherman Bond with Saw.jpeg

Knifeless Bond:
Bond with no knife.jpg

It has been about a year or so since I last carried or used the bond. To be honest, I pretty much forgot I had it. While working in the garage this afternoon I spotted it on the corner of my toolbox where I left it the last time I used it. I had my Leatherman wrenches out earlier today to replace a damage serrated blade on an ST300, so I decided to do another mod to the bond. Inspired by Macchina Macchina I followed their lead and removed the lanyard ring and add the saw from a Rebar. I also removed the charge bit driver I had installed a while back and reinstalled the Philips driver. The pliers don’t bind up in the bit driver anymore while closing it.

The Bond really surprised me with how well it actually fits into the Leatherman lineup. Definitely an improved PST. I have a Rev and a Wingman but the Bond blows both of them out of the water IMO, especially once you start modding it.

nE3507g.jpg

I've had my bond at work mostly. I love the pocketability (no hotspots either) and light weight. I also like the clunky old school vibe it gives. If leatherman would have somehow figured out to add scissors and saw (or offer version that replaces the file with saw) it would be perfect for me. Now it's just okay tool for the tools it offers.

The Bond, Rebar, and PST are peak Leatherman in my opinion. In a leather sheath on the belt, like the lord intended. 😉

I’m using leatherman’s Heritage Leather Sheath for my Bond.
It would be nice if they came with the bond.
I carry mine in an acessory pocket sheat along with a few other things, but if I was carrying my bond outside of work as a regular EDC type item that's the sheath I'd buy to carry it in.
I like the nylon sheath that came with it perfectly fine, but of course I'd rather have leather.

I have two Bonds, and did not realize they came with a pocket clip.

When I opened the boxes, I took the tools out, the sheaths, then tossed the boxes.

I guess I musta internally figured the clips would already be attached.

By the time I realized this it was too late lol.

I have two Bonds, and did not realize they came with a pocket clip.

When I opened the boxes, I took the tools out, the sheaths, then tossed the boxes.

I guess I musta internally figured the clips would already be attached.

By the time I realized this it was too late lol.
AFAIK they dont - Leatherman sells them separately and milks a little extra cash that way.

Back