Bonecutter, HI warranty and "advertising" pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed the bonecutter name is just that a name. HI tells you not to expect it to cut through bone without damage. Thats that

I really think you fishing for something here, what convincing do you need? The thing is a beast of a blade and will serve you well, as far as im concerned this is a ridiculous issue and should be locked as it has no merit. Its a name of a blade, because there is a shank bone next to it you consider it false advertisement and open for law suits? HI expressly notes the warranties, whats covered and not, so this is a non issue. Sorry if this seems rude, but this sounds like someone that used to prowl around here before he was banned.

This thread was not meant to fish for personal attacks. I have nothing to do with anyone one else who were here before. And I certainly don't see anything in my writing that is ban material. So please take a deep breath and chill.

Folks here are passionate about HI products and welling to defend them at all cost. That's fine. But sorry if I haven't reach that level of biased devotion yet.

I'm not alone thinking that showcasing a cut bone beside it was probably not the best idea. But the subject certainly is not worth throwing KLOs at each other (I learned that acronym today and found a place to plug it - yeah)

So that's it. No more questions you honor.

This thread was not meant to fish for personal attacks. I have nothing to do with anyone one else who were here before. And I certainly don't see anything in my writing that is ban material. So please take a deep breath and chill.

Folks here are passionate about HI products and welling to defend them at all cost. That's fine. But sorry if I haven't reach that level of biased devotion yet.

I'm not alone thinking that showcasing a cut bone beside it was probably not the best idea. But the subject certainly is not worth throwing KLOs at each other (I learned that acronym today and found a place to plug it - yeah)

So that's it. No more questions you honor.

Im not saying your writing is basis for banning, im saying you sound like an argumentative person who was here before and banned for being a jerk, kinda like your being and came back under another name to incite this forum as he did before. We are passionate about HI here and for you to come here and try to stoke a pointless fire bugs me and others. So if this offends you, I suggest you look elsewhere in other sub forums to fish. And thanks for no more questions smart a_ _.

Originally Posted by pugs75 View Post
I really think you fishing for something here, what convincing do you need? The thing is a beast of a blade and will serve you well, as far as im concerned this is a ridiculous issue and should be locked as it has no merit. Its a name of a blade, because there is a shank bone next to it you consider it false advertisement and open for law suits? HI expressly notes the warranties, whats covered and not, so this is a non issue. Sorry if this seems rude, but this sounds like someone that used to prowl around here before he was banned.

This really is going too far. Himalayan Imports takes a different attitude toward discussions, where we assume the goodwill of our members.

If you do not, there is small triangle in the lower left corner of each post for you to Report Post to the moderators. While we appreciate and in fact, celebrate, how Bladeforums discussions are largely self-moderated, that needs to be done in a collegial way, not adversarial. Allegations of trolling can poison relations here in a way we would not like to see.

Peace.

Never took it as more than this.
This one is just to fire the discussion and a bit of friendly trolling.
Just a thought experiment, nothing more.
Sadly "Devils advocate" kind of never works unless you know the other guys already for a while and know what would be understood in what way and they in turn know how to take it.

Never took it as more than this.
Just a thought experiment, nothing more.
Sadly "Devils advocate" kind of never works unless you know the other guys already for a while and know what would be understood in what way and they in turn know how to take it.

I drink to that... Anyone else wants a beer? It's my round.

I see where Snowwolf is coming from. If you were new to knives and Himalayan Imports and didn't thoroughly research the knife then you may think that the knife is suitable for hacking through bone. From a legal standpoint I don't think that anyone would bother suing the company or anything because there is a warranty. The thing that may be possible is a new customer buys the Bonecutter and tries to chop up bones with it and damages the blade. The person gets annoyed because the blade got messed up and is turned off to buying more HI products. That's the real issue I see is that future customers could think the name of the knife implies that it is perfectly capable of doing that.

I sure have a harder time cutting cold or frozen bone than I do room temperature or warm season outdoors. The back spine of my HI Seax or back of a large khuk works pretty well to crack something really big like a deer, elk or bear pelvis bone.
The gosh darn jet stream keeps bringing all that cold air from way up Norte down to me here in the Great Lakes. How cold is it in Alaska now?

Mark

Last edited:
The Great Lakes are the worst. I was in Syracuse one specially cold and snowy winter and the lake effect cooling was hard to take. We had snow up to our waists and had to take turns breaking the trail.

BRRRRRRR!!! Man! My bones are shattering themselves right now in Texas. Its almost down in the 30's now:D Im ready for summer again! Heck with this stuff.
The Great Lakes are the worst. I was in Syracuse one specially cold and snowy winter and the lake effect cooling was hard to take. We had snow up to our waists and had to take turns breaking the trail.

I see where Snowwolf is coming from. If you were new to knives and Himalayan Imports and didn't thoroughly research the knife then you may think that the knife is suitable for hacking through bone. From a legal standpoint I don't think that anyone would bother suing the company or anything because there is a warranty. The thing that may be possible is a new customer buys the Bonecutter and tries to chop up bones with it and damages the blade. The person gets annoyed because the blade got messed up and is turned off to buying more HI products. That's the real issue I see is that future customers could think the name of the knife implies that it is perfectly capable of doing that.

That was the spirit under the thoughts.

And as opposed to what GreenWoods is hunting. I mainly do small games for which even the smallest of the Kuks would be plenty enough to chop off anything needed including bones.

Whatever, if I had one I'd cut bones with it ifI fealt like it... isnt it a 1/2 inch thick? If it ruined my blade then I would be the first one to boast about a serrated bone cutter... Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Boom!

BRRRRRRR!!! Man! My bones are shattering themselves right now in Texas. Its almost down in the 30's now:D Im ready for summer again! Heck with this stuff.

Might want to think about some shoes down there.

Might want to think about some shoes down there.

I've been wearing my LLBean snow sneakers -- great big fat insulated sneakers with thick nonskid soles. :D

I'm ready for a full day of below-freezing temps Sunday, and we just had snow flurries to rub it in.

Whatever, if I had one I'd cut bones with it ifI fealt like it... isnt it a 1/2 inch thick? If it ruined my blade then I would be the first one to boast about a serrated bone cutter... Put that in your pipe and smoke it! Boom!

If the edge of your Bonecutter were 1/2" thick you'd have a real complaint. :) Seriously, though, you can use the spine to break up thick bones rather than trying to cut/chop through them. Since the spine is softer steel it might get some dings, but that's where the 1/2" thickness comes in.

Notice how the spine on most HI khukuris has the shape of an inverted "V". That can't be an accident or a random historical style, since it would be easier to forge a flat spine and would look just as good. I'm pretty sure it's designed to break bone, whether as a tool or weapon.

The "Bonecutter" was designed after a type of butchers khukuri used in the stalls at bazaars all over Nepal by Uncle and Aunties good friend, Sgt. Khadka...father of Dr. Ram whom was put thru medical school by Himalayan Imports and the forumites/friends we have here, with the special help of Steve Ferguson, whom took over the fund for Uncle when he walked west.

Testing the limits of reasonability and common sense are factors that lead to modification of the old warranty.
Unreasonable expectation of steels and knife usage are what lead the way there.
Knowing the inherent qualities of your steels and your blades is mandatory when using large chopping knives.
Using your blades within their known established safe parameters is good common sense.
Most experienced hunters/butchers will know that the chopping of large, hard bones on a game animal is not the smartest thing you can do with any blade and will use a more appropriate tool for the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back