Bonecutter, HI warranty and "advertising" pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd never expect any knife to cut through bone without issue. Then again, while I'd never be accused of being the sharpest blade in the drawer, I'm not an idiot...most of the time.

Nope... not yet! My feet are good from 7 degrees to 157 degrees so far. I havent measured extremes beyond that so far.
I think once it gets to the 20's he puts on flip-flops
Sgt. Khadka 25" Ang Khola and the 22" Ganga Ram are on top of my wish list! Dont get any better than that!

Its already down to teens here and its not even Dec. I am contemplating hibernation with a Khuk my by side :)

Yes, I believe my kids called what I'm doing attached to the couch surrounded by khuks as 'Larding Up'. It's what bear do to get ready to hibernate! Bring on the bacon and beer. :)
:D
Mark

The "Bonecutter" was designed after a type of butchers khukuri used in the stalls at bazaars all over Nepal by Uncle and Aunties good friend, Sgt. Khadka...father of Dr. Ram whom was put thru medical school by Himalayan Imports and the forumites/friends we have here, with the special help of Steve Ferguson, whom took over the fund for Uncle when he walked west.

Testing the limits of reasonability and common sense are factors that lead to modification of the old warranty.
Unreasonable expectation of steels and knife usage are what lead the way there.
Knowing the inherent qualities of your steels and your blades is mandatory when using large chopping knives.
Using your blades within their known established safe parameters is good common sense.
Most experienced hunters/butchers will know that the chopping of large, hard bones on a game animal is not the smartest thing you can do with any blade and will use a more appropriate tool for the task.

Thank you for the historical information.

"Testing the limits of reasonability and common sense are factors that lead to modification of the old warranty.
Unreasonable expectation of steels and knife usage are what lead the way there."

This was done before my time with good reasons. And it is the exact same logic that made me go hummm, when I saw the Bonecutter next to a cut bone.

Btw You can often find these kits on sale ... Fits in a backpack or attached to your quad.
Game_Pro_Outdoor_Processor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since English is my 3rd language so I checked in The Free Dictionary Dot Com and I found out that "cut" is different from "chop".
So in other words the Bonecutter is not a Bonechopper :p

mohd

Cutter or chopper I'm so in love with that knife in your avatar mohd. Almost an obsession!

I went to the guys website and alas I live on the wrong side of the tracks to perhaps ever call one my own but I'm perfectly content to admire it from afar in you post. Please post often.

This discussion belies the fact that folks don't buy HI products primarily to use them. They buy them because the company helps out people in Nepal who really need help. They buy them for the camaraderie that exists on this forum and in the Cantina, as sort of an 'admission ticket' to the group. They buy them because they are really pretty knives! Works of art, actually. As a side benefit, some people use some of the blades to do things now and then but that was never the main point of HI. Read Uncle Bill's posts from the misty past and you'll see. This one is all about helping people in a part of the world that could use some help. Once you come to grips with that, you will enjoy your HI products and this forum a whole lot more. There's no cutthroat capitalism here, and certainly no fodder for lawsuits.

Late to the party, but the keyword to the OP's post is "trolling".

With that being said, I've been clearing a neglected field & along with a bushhog, chainsaw, weedeater, ax, mattock, machete, SAK & beaver traps there's a "Bonecutter" in use. All perform well when used appropriately.

Uplander

This discussion belies the fact that folks don't buy HI products primarily to use them. They buy them because the company helps out people in Nepal who really need help. They buy them for the camaraderie that exists on this forum and in the Cantina, as sort of an 'admission ticket' to the group. They buy them because they are really pretty knives! Works of art, actually. As a side benefit, some people use some of the blades to do things now and then but that was never the main point of HI. Read Uncle Bill's posts from the misty past and you'll see. This one is all about helping people in a part of the world that could use some help. Once you come to grips with that, you will enjoy your HI products and this forum a whole lot more. There's no cutthroat capitalism here, and certainly no fodder for lawsuits.

Good posting. :)

I made a previous post about a new customer potentially beating up the knife cutting and chopping bone and blaming the maker when it was them abusing knife. That's a possibility. I think that H.I. has been in business for several years so I'm sure they know what they're doing and it's nothing for us to worry about with the whole marketing and naming of stuff.

I have a HI because of it's reputation for being thick, heavy and tuf. I have the CAK because it full tang. While they say that I can use it as a pry bar, prob won't, unless I have too. I will say, I use the hell out of mine. I don't care about keeping it pretty, I use it, for everything! Yes, I have cut through bone, because it was the only tool I had that could do it. I didn't have any damage and it chopped right through. Wise idea, prob not, but I figure that I can have an excuse to buy a new HI if I ruin my blade.....

This thread reminded me about a Nepalese knife called Bagh Marne (i.e. CMIIAW) which means Tiger Killer.
HI came out and sold few pieces of Bagh Marne, IIRC.

Top-ShankerBottom-RajRasaili_3-4-3.jpg

Hope any owner of this very knife won't take the literal meaning of Bagh Marne by trying to kill a very live tiger using that particular knife as the only weapon, seriously please!
I never think that it is wise to do that!
No need to prove anything out of Bagh Marne name :cool:

mohd

Yesterday I read pretty much everything available for reading on the HI website. I learned a lot about the products, the company and the spirit behind it.

It believe you when you say that most people will by HI products for the work of art more then for the tools. For those, probably many wouldn't make the difference between a tourist KLO to hang on the wall versus the real deal that will endure tough everyday work for 50 to 100 years (the blade and more frequent maintenance to the handle). HI makes the real thing and they stand behind their product.

From the basic research I made, I read that there is not many companies left in Nepal who still carry the traditional techniques of making properly built Khukris. Among them, HI is the one who takes the best care of its Kamis. That's why I chose to buy from them: Real deal, very pretty knife, produced in decent conditions.

40 years ago, my dad gave me a Khukri that was given to him by a friend long time before that. My dad told me it was probably from Africa. He didn't know better.
I used it as a machete all my teenage years. It opened a lot of trails, the handle or the blade never failed. I would probably still have it today if it was not lost in a fire when our house burned.

After all these years, I forgot about the Khukri of my youth. But when I came across HI, I knew I was in for a treat.

All that said, I really didn't mean to offend anyone with thread. I live in a world of cutthroat capitalism where Mc D-beep-ald's gets sued by careless people burning themselves with hot coffee.

So uplander, when you quoted "trolling", you forgot to mentioned the world right next to it "Friendly Trolling" if such thing exists. I still think showcasing the Bonecutter next to a cut bone was not the best idea. Nobody has to agree on that. I fired the discussion to see what the people here are made of.

This doesn't change the fact that I have a tremendous respect for the very few still promoting traditional values and ancestral handcraft techniques.

Hey Snow, who is your skinner made by?

I guess the question is more for mohd and his avatar.
But mine is a old Puma with a stag handle (not shown anywhere). And it is a bit of a pain to wash. For that I'd recommend something with a slick handle. Much easier to clean when things get messy.

Few years ago, a British insurance company was offering coverage for Alien abductions. The marketing people were laughing all the way to the bank. Then someone sued them because they didn't want to pay when he claimed to be a victim of alien abduction.
The customer won the case. The small prints and common sense are not always enough to cover against false advertising.

There is such a company, but I don't believe they have ever had to pay out when sued. I think you made that up to try to strengthen your floundering argument. This I think shows your approach.

Your sole purpose here seems to be to criticise HI as a company in a passive aggressive manor & cause re-action that you then feed upon.

You seem experienced at doing that in the kukri world.

Its called trolling & being smarmy & two-faced about it doesn't make it friendly.

spiral

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back