Bottle openers obsolete?

So I am curious how many people on here still use the bottle opener on their multi-tools and such? Would you say it is becoming obsolete? I don't know about you but pretty much everything I drink is twist-off or pull tab or such. I actually have to go out of my way to use a bottle opener.

Thoughts?

Everything I drink needs a bottle opener (or a hard surface) or corkscrew with the exception of hard liquor. No pull tabs in decades for me...remember Micky's Big Mouth with the the pull tab top, stitches big time and worse yet, blood in my beer (or malt beverage).

Everything I drink needs a bottle opener (or a hard surface) or corkscrew with the exception of hard liquor. No pull tabs in decades for me...remember Micky's Big Mouth with the the pull tab top, stitches big time and worse yet, blood in my beer (or malt beverage).

Yes - me too ^ :thumbsup:. I even have a small collection of very nice hand forged bottle openers - so that each bottle opening becomes an occasion :cool:.

Very very rarely carry a multi tool though - just on occasion, for tune the boat rigging. A knife on me, for every occasion and the right tool for all the jobs as needed. :)

Ray

I use the bottle opener even if the beer has a twist cap. I'm no wimp (I don't think) but I just don't like the feel of bottle caps when twisting, just feels like one wrong move I'm liable to get cut. Also, a lot of times those twist off caps can be stubborn. I just find a caplifter works better than twisting the cap.
Also, I'll get craft beer occasionally and those often don't have twist off caps.
Ultimately for me though, it's important to me that my carry knife has a screwdriver, as such, a caplifter just happens to be an added bonus.

I use a bottle opener for some of my beers. My friend usually borrowed mine for his. Got tired of lending mine to my father too, so I bought him a cheap one.

Many of the beers that I drink don't come with twist off caps. Bottle openers certainly aren't obsolete to me.

None of my favorite beers comes with a twist off cap, so it's bottle openers for me. And when it isn't opening bottles, the combo slotted screwdriver is a good small pry bar and even works as a screwdriver :D . We're talking SAKs, of course.

No, even in this age of convenience, some bottled cooking sauces still need a bottle opener for me to open.
I might not drink but the bottle opener on my SAK still sees use from time to time.
Not obsolete for me yet.

I use the standard screwdriver that's on the end of the cap lifter on my Vic's, but never the cap lifter itself for opening bottles.
I never have and never will drink any form of alcohol, and my mountain Dew's are best enjoyed out of a frosty can so I have zero use for one.
I don't think I could say cap lifters are obsolete by the amount of Corona bottles I see around my neighborhood, but I do think it's dumb that every single key chain tool or multitool just HAS to have one incorporated into it.
If it folds away and or can be used as a screwdriver I'll live with it, but if it's always just THERE and visible that makes the item a bottle opener first of all and I don't want it.

I guess that is where I differ, The hardest thing I drink is an energy drink. I don't drink beer it all tastes like alcohol. And if I do have something like a beer it is in a michelada that I get at a restaurant and they have to open the bear for you. With something like a michelada it is more other ingredients than beer.

Well, there ya go. Good beer tends to come in pop-tops, and up until recently that was my drink of choice. Since now it either is grapes or from a still, I have less use. but they are very handy when the ring pops off a soup can.

Absolutely not. In my country (Spain) about 90% of Beer and Cola brands do not have twist offs, and most beverages in glass bottle require of a bottle opener.

I also use the screwdriver on the SAK that goes with it, and have used the bottle opener on occasion to break or snap something.

I'd say we are at the tail end of a 1-2 year peak of bottle openers. Many beers that I drink require an opener. I don't think they are obsolete at all.

So I am curious how many people on here still use the bottle opener on their multi-tools and such? Would you say it is becoming obsolete? I don't know about you but pretty much everything I drink is twist-off or pull tab or such. I actually have to go out of my way to use a bottle opener.

Thoughts?
I chuckle as I was just thinking about this... I HATE twisting regular looking caps off such things as glass beer bottles. Always use my SAK bottle opener. In the last week I purchased a 8 pack of small plastic bottles of Coke with the regular twist off caps for sodas.... for the life of me I could not open one with my hands and my little pliers came in real handy for this use. That was a new one for me. ;)

I've only seen few bottles in my life that have twist off. Maybe it's American thing? In here most bottles have regular caps. And all the micro breweries I support? Nope, they don't use twisties! :D

I don't use ones on any multi-tool except my Leatherman carabiner multi-tool as it is usually clipped to me with my keys. Bottle openers will never be obsolete as most beers I drink are not screw off caps but the bottle open on a multi-tool is a nice convenient tool but yet to have needed.

I don't keep a bottle opener on me, there's too many ways to pop off the top fop a beer bottle. House keys, tea spoon, Bic lighter, the SD tip of my classic's naifile blade, belt buckle and a zillion other things. The metal of the crown caps is VERY soft stuff, and bends out with very little effort so you can pop off the top with a thumb after a few seconds work. Sometimes the classic on my keyring is my only SAK I'll have on me, so I make do. It's easy.

I spent a lot of money on my son's college education for him to come home on spring break and show me all the new ways he learned to open a beer!!!!:eek:

I spent a lot of money on my son's college education for him to come home on spring break and show me all the new ways he learned to open a beer!!!!:eek:
Pretty sure that is all anyone learns in college and then after they learn about crippling debt unless they got a ride somehow then maybe if lucky they learn appreciation.

Back