Bottle openers obsolete?

corkscrew is kinda unnecessary.
the pioneer can opener can open wine bottles also i saw on youtube

wonder how easy it is to open wine cork on it..anyone tried?

If it's kinda unnecessary, then why are you wondering?
I open wine bottles with my SAK.

Also another thing I see people say is "get SAK with cross headed screwdriver instead of the cork screw" while you can open phillips screws with the can opener head.

If it's kinda unnecessary, then why are you wondering?
I open wine bottles with my SAK.

Also another thing I see people say is "get SAK with cross headed screwdriver instead of the cork screw" while you can open phillips screws with the can opener head.
i meant wine bottle opening with pioneer or cadet's can opener/small flathead not a corkscrew. seems easy in this video:

There are so many uses for the corkscrew it's ridiculous. I have used it to undo stubborn knots in shoe laces, as a scribe on wood, and many other tasks. I understand you can open a bottle of wine with it also. Almost all the tools offered on SAKs have many uses besides their primary purpose.

It works about half the time for me, depending on the cork. A corkscrew, however, works every time, although sometimes on a stubborn cork it takes a feat of strength. Always use the right tool for the job (unless you have no choice, of course :D).

No way obsolete. Almost every beer I drink here in the USA requires a opener, but I do drink mostly craft / micro brewed beers. I’d give up the blade before the opener on the SAK. I carry another knife though.

There are so many uses for the corkscrew it's ridiculous. I have used it to undo stubborn knots in shoe laces, as a scribe on wood, and many other tasks. I understand you can open a bottle of wine with it also. Almost all the tools offered on SAKs have many uses besides their primary purpose.
well i am a minimalist so i dont like tools bulging out of my tool.
but ya i guess it works better on wine bottles than some alternate tool

i am curious to hear how well pioneer's can opener functions as a wine cork opener

i use the corkscrew on my SAK to open my shower drain every couple of weeks to clean it.
the cover gets rather stuck so you can't open it by hand. i just turn the corkscrew into one of the holes and pull the cover off easy.

Here in the Netherlands, almost all beers come with a fixed bottle cap instead of a twist cap. So you really need your bottle opener.

I use mine all the time. I drink local and near-sourced micro-brews so none of them are twist-off.

I carry a Leatherman Juice S2 as part of my EDC. I actually use the can opener fairly often.

I like bottle openers in my pocketknives. I so often use it as a flat screwdriver or mini prybar. I think than can opener is less usefull. So I think that Victorinox and others should stay with the combo tool and in place of can opener insert something new tool.

Can openers are useless.... until you NEED one, then they are worth all the time spent hauling one. Yes I know that there are a lot of ways to get into a can, but having a safe way to get the job done, or being able to hand the job off to someone else.... Priceless.

i meant wine bottle opening with pioneer or cadet's can opener/small flathead not a corkscrew. seems easy in this video:

I had success with it once. Tried it again last night. Fail. All I accomplished was pushing the cork partway down the bottle neck, had to finish the job with a corkscrew, which is the right tool for the job. Cheers :D .

My intense love affair with anything alcoholic ended long ago. And I have rarely used a SAK corkscrew or bottle cap opener in those last 20 years. I also rarely use an awl. My most used non knife tools are the screwdrivers and can opener. I hate scissors also, but once again, many seem to like them. Someone mentioned using the bottle cap tool to lever down and open a can with a snapped off pull ring tab. Fair enough, but I would put forth that the dedicated can opener tool makes that use redundant. I can also see that the bottle cap tool and screwdriver are still in popular use for the folks that can enjoy certain beverages without deleterious effects. That is fine. I suppose that we will all seek the tools most useful to our own wants and needs. I search for SAK's with a Philips head screwdriver on the back as opposed to the (useless to me) corkscrew. It's all good.

Back