Brad Southard Flipper Arrived!! Lots of Photos/Video

I've never been a huge Spyderco fan, probably due to the aesthetics of the large thumb hole. The only Spydie I own is a sprint run Manix II, which I like a lot. However, I have always been impressed with their quality and fit and finish for a production knife. I think the Southard is going make me a fan, and I am looking forward to getting one. It will be interesting to compare to my ZT 0560 which has become one of my favorite folders.

I was going to comment on the radiused tang but you beat me to it and did a far better job. :thumbup:

The "arc shaped" blade tang is intentional. It's called a radiused lock face. Lots' of Kershaw/ZT frame lock knives have them, such as the 560 and the Tilt and Spyderco uses it a lot on their frame locks and linerlocks, including the Military. Strider is the main brand people associate with radiused lock faces because they used to have an extreme radius on their knives. You can do the research if you want to understand the logic and arguments behind radiused lock faces and "minimal contact" lock-up (which radiused lockup knives usually employ) versus full contact flat blade tangs, such as Chris Reeve knives. CRK has their lockup figured out and their tolerances are good enough that they can make a knife with a lock-up that mates perfectly with full contact, and then you don't really need to worry about lock wear, lock-rock, etc. But most knife makers can't make their knives that perfect, at least for their price point, so they do other things that fight lock wear and lock-rock. Good knives like Spyderco and ZT with a very mild curve to the blade tang seem to have a good happy medium where they wear slowly and have strong lockup that you shouldn't every have to worry about. You can see for yourself that the Southard has amazing lockup and should stay that way. However, even Strider changed their lockup to CRK style in the past year or so, because the extreme radius they used (even with all of the argument for it) just did not work very well for a very long time, which is why Strider ininfamous for having lock issues, especially lock-rock.

To get back on topic - I am completely in love with my Southard. I've had it on me non-stop for the past week and a half. It's just perfection and truly a knife of the year. I don't get this infatuated with most knives, especially in the price range. Knowing how much I love this thing, I would have paid a lot more for it. Just love it.

I'm SURE some of you are already doing this but for those that aren't.

Instead of "flipping" the knife open, as in sliding your finger down the back of the handle (and possibly flicking your wrist to assist), try pushing the TOP (pointy part) of the "flipper" INTO the handle like a button, works better than an auto IMO. :)

^ I'm trying different ways of flipping it open (my first flipper). I tried both sliding and pushing and anything in between :D. I had pretty good success when pushing. However, my fingertip got a bit sore after flipping all evening last night, so I tried something else that is more comfortable: I hold the knife with the G10 against my palm (the part nearest the thumb) and my thumb at the front part of the G10, then I "hook" the flipper with my index finger (towards the outer knuckle, like a trigger) and pull my index finger down. Good if your finger is sore :).

You can also hold the knife tip up in your right hand with G10 facing outward, thumb resting on the very tip of the clip and flick it down with the side of your middle finger and get into a reverse grip quickly. Not practical but just another method. I can also middle finger flick it like all my other Spderco's but it is tricky. Middle finger flicking it in my left hand is easier.

You can also hold the knife tip up in your right hand with G10 facing outward, thumb resting on the very tip of the clip and flick it down with the side of your middle finger and get into a reverse grip quickly. Not practical but just another method. I can also middle finger flick it like all my other Spderco's but it is tricky. Middle finger flicking it in my left hand is easier.

I'm surprised there's much discussion on how to flip it and stuff like that, because I find it so easy, even in comparison to my best flippers (such as the Tilt, a Shirogorov, and a Peter R. Keystone Flipper). I have also hear complaints on the flipper not being jimped, but I love it, because it's so comfortable. I love that you don't have to use the "push like a button" technique. You can just pull backwards and I actually have to try to get it not to open fully. Maybe mine is different from others, but I find the way the flipper was designed and the feel is just perfect with the most perfect detent. It's one of the most fun knives to flip EVER. It's like a ball-bearing Hinderer would be, I imagine.

As far as a thumb flick, I have no problem, and the middle finger flick like you describe is very easy for me too. It's all about getting enough meat (of your finger) in the hole (I know, I know. That's what she said). I can middle finger flick it so damn fast and easy. This knife is just the production knife of the year for me. Probably in my top 3 all time favorites. It's just a perfect design and I don't car about the price or where it's made, I put it up there with all of my CRK's, Hinderer's, Shirogorov's, etc. I think I may have already said this in this thread, but I'm just very picky and very in love with this design. I would not change anything about the way it operates or flips or anything at all.

One thing I noticed when the flip didn't open the knife fully: I found I usually had a finger on the framelock's locking leaf that creates detent drag on the blade, slowing it down and keeping it from fully opening.

Just picked up mine at the PO this morning! This is a really well put together blade! Now, do we know who will be making scales for these? Also, how are you guys rounding these, I don't want to mess up my clip and have to buy a new one. Plan on doing the rounding and stonewashing in the dryer :). Any and all info is much appreciated!

Last edited:
50859B3E-FF52-4D32-ACE0-0D5EC3321EB4-5915-0000079D9DCC619B.jpg

Got my clip rounded off and stonewashed in the dryer. Turned out better than I thought it would. Now I would like to acid etch, but I need to get my hands on etchant...

Back