Buck 110 or Case Mini-Trapper

I'm not a fan of the pinned brick nor anything made by Case but with only those as options the pinned brick gets my vote because my experience with Bucks customer service.

Option 3) Get a Victorinox Super Tinker while you are thinking about the whole thing. It's plain, not sexy, but you will use it like crazy while trying to figure out what sexy knife really gives you a warm fuzzy. (You might even find out the Vic gives you the fuzzy.)

Sound advice. You won't go wrong with Victorinox.

As others have said, the Buck 110 and the Case Mini-Trapper are apples and oranges.

Two completely different knives, each designed and intended for different uses.
There is no comparison between the two.

I've had a 110 (or Old Timer 7OT) on my belt pretty much every day for over 40 years.
I recently acquired a Buck 112, so it gets some carry time now, giving the 110 a vacation every so often.
In addition to the 110/112/7OT on my belt, I also have in my right front pocket a 4 inch (or larger) closed Stockman, (a stockman has been in my pocket every day for over 50 years) and a 4 blade "Scout"/Camp knife (in the same pocket as the stockman for over 55 years.)
My EDC for January until ??? is the Buck 110, a Rough Rider RR603 Large Stockman, Rough Rider RR1569 Moose, and an Ulster "Official BSA" Scout knife.

My suggestion is get and carry both.
Also, if you've never had a Case Mini-Trapper before, get the Rough Rider trapper in the same size first, to see if you like the size and pattern. If you do, you can always "upgrade" to the Case. If you don't, you saved at least $40 or more to find out the Mini-Trapper isn't for you.

Rough Rider's may be "inexpensive", but they are not "cheap". There is a difference. :)

I'm not a fan of the pinned brick nor anything made by Case but with only those as options the pinned brick gets my vote because my experience with Bucks customer service.
Too bad, they are known to have excellent customer service. The manager of the dept posts here often and personally takes care of issues brought to his attn.

My thoughts:

I love my Buck Bantam 285. It was my EDC for 2 yrs until I decided I wanted to try something different. It was my EDC when wearing shorts during the warmer months.

The Buck 110 might be a bit heavy for EDC, but the Case Mini Trapper is definitely worthy of EDC. I have one in natural bone (with Ducks Unlimited logo) and it rides in the pocket just fine.

The Buck 500 was mentioned. I have the Buck 501 Squire knife and is worthy of EDC. In fact, it is one of my EDC when wearing jeans, as it fits in the coin pockets in your jeans. It is smaller than the 500 (which is about the size of the 112), and perhaps you might consider the Buck 501. I love mine.

And as far as research....read read read here, and start browsing here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paid-dealer-members-list-updated-10-21-2018.1089879/

In the meantime there is also

Option 3) Get a Victorinox Super Tinker while you are thinking about the whole thing. It's plain, not sexy, but you will use it like crazy while trying to figure out what sexy knife really gives you a warm fuzzy. (You might even find out the Vic gives you the fuzzy.)
I actually use a Victorinox as my EDC but I want something that has a classic look.

I would get the Case Trapper with stag or jigged bone and not look back. A higher end product are the ones made by Great Eastern Cutlery.

I carried a Schrade 250T [USA version] (essentially a two blade Buck 110) for years in the field on my belt. I don't recommend it for anyone other than someone that spends a great deal of time in the outdoors. The current version is made in China. Buck 110's are simply too large from my point of view to edc unless you live and work where a belt sheath does not get in the way.

I didn't know that the 112 existed until now. I like its size and how it manages to be smaller while retaining all of the 110's characteristics. The price seems to increase a bit but I can live with that. Does anyone have experience on how these knives hold up over time?
If you legitimately manage to WEAR OUT a Buck 112, I WILL GIVE YOU ONE OF MINE! :) That's how certain I am it'll hold up over time.

Zieg

I am a big fan of Buck and the Buck 110. I own a few variations of the classic 110. I love that knife.

But to be quite honest: It is way too heavy and big to EDC for me. I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. I am confident this is the case for a majority of people. Unless your definition of EDC means everyday belt carry, I just can't recommend it. It's one of the few things it's not suitable for.

However, do not despair, you have some good options:

• The 110's smaller (shorter) brother is called the 112. Smaller, but still a bit on the heavy side tbh.
  • Both the 110 and 112 have recently received slimmed down and modernized editions. I don't have any personal experience yet, but they seem very suitable for EDC. I would personally consider a 110 or 112 slimline pro version if I were in your shoes.
Good luck!

I really wish Buck made a pocket friendly version of the classic 112. Just making it the same width as the 500 would be perfect. That would give the classic 110/112 styling in a slim pocketable package.

I am a big fan of Buck and the Buck 110. I own a few variations of the classic 110. I love that knife.

But to be quite honest: It is way too heavy and big to EDC for me. I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. I am confident this is the case for a majority of people. Unless your definition of EDC means everyday belt carry, I just can't recommend it. It's one of the few things it's not suitable for.

However, do not despair, you have some good options:

• The 110's smaller (shorter) brother is called the 112. Smaller, but still a bit on the heavy side tbh.
  • Both the 110 and 112 have recently received slimmed down and modernized editions. I don't have any personal experience yet, but they seem very suitable for EDC. I would personally consider a 110 or 112 slimline pro version if I were in your shoes.
Good luck!
I took out a scale and measured out the weight of each knife to see if it was too heavy for my pocket, I also compaired it to my victorinox Huntsman which has been my main carry for 3 years. I also took a ruler and measured both of their closed lengths and found an object that was close in size. Both the knives can easily fit in my pocket. The buck 112 has a weight of 5.6 oz and the Case mini-trapper is 2 oz. At 4 oz the victorinox is between the weight of the Case mini-trapper and the buck 112. At this point choosing the 112 does not make sense, it is heavier so worse for my EDC, more intimidating than the case trapper, and more expensive (I can get a like new mini trapper for 36$ but the best price for the 110 is 52$). I bought the Case mini-trapper for these reasons, but I still want the 112. For anyone who comes later with the same question I will write the specs of the two knives below.

|Weight (oz)|Length Closed|Blade Length|Country |
Case mini Trapper |2.7 |3.5 inches |2.7 inches |USA |
Buck 112 |5.6 |4.25 inches |3 inches |USA |

The formatting may be messed up

Last edited:
I like large folders, my EDC is a ZT 0562cf. I wouldn't want to EDC a 110 though. It's weight and lack of clip just aren't compatible with the way I like to carry a knife. I would also suggest a 112. I have a few Case Trappers I only keep because they were gifts. The steel in them, with one strange exception, are junk. I dont want to step on any toes but I've owned a slew of those trappers and although it's a great style of folder, the Case's never measure up.

I really wish Buck made a pocket friendly version of the classic 112. Just making it the same width as the 500 would be perfect. That would give the classic 110/112 styling in a slim pocketable package.

Or they could make an Aluminum 112 like I've been whining about ever since I first heard about the aluminum 110. Just sayin'...

I like large folders, my EDC is a ZT 0562cf. I wouldn't want to EDC a 110 though. It's weight and lack of clip just aren't compatible with the way I like to carry a knife. I would also suggest a 112. I have a few Case Trappers I only keep because they were gifts. The steel in them, with one strange exception, are junk. I dont want to step on any toes but I've owned a slew of those trappers and although it's a great style of folder, the Case's never measure up.
It was close between the case trapper and the Buck 112. The Buck left a lot of boxes unchecked where the case didn't. If the case doesn't go to my liking I will get the 112. The weight was a big consideration because if I am going to carry something, it better not be so heavy that I am pulling my pants up every 5 minutes. I wear a belt and I am not wearing suspenders, I feel like someone was going to mention that.

The 110 and 112 comes in slim with a pocket clip. S30v, 420, FRN handles in Red, Green, Blue and Black. Green or Brown Micarta and G10. You can always take the clip off and pocket carry if you want.

110 slim weighs 3.4 oz
112 slim weighs 2.8 oz

Starting price is 26 bucks. Frn scales and 420 steel.

The Micarta 110 pro version with s30v in the picture was 85.00

3v1akVD.jpg 20181002_183557_zpstmhajbxy.jpg

Last edited:
I took out a scale and measured out the weight of each knife to see if it was too heavy for my pocket, I also compaired it to my victorinox Huntsman which has been my main carry for 3 years. I also took a ruler and measured both of their closed lengths and found an object that was close in size. Both the knives can easily fit in my pocket. The buck 112 has a weight of 5.6 oz and the Case mini-trapper is 2 oz. At 4 oz the victorinox is between the weight of the Case mini-trapper and the buck 112. At this point choosing the 112 does not make sense, it is heavier so worse for my EDC, more intimidating than the case trapper, and more expensive (I can get a like new mini trapper for 36$ but the best price for the 110 is 52$). I bought the Case mini-trapper for these reasons, but I still want the 112. For anyone who comes later with the same question I will write the specs of the two knives below.

|Weight (oz)|Length Closed|Blade Length|Country |
Case mini Trapper |2.7 |3.5 inches |2.7 inches |USA |
Buck 112 |5.6 |4.25 inches |3 inches |USA |

The formatting may be messed up

I'm glad you were able to make an informed choice. I hope you enjoy your new knife a lot.

Although I'm not completely objective, I understand a 110 or 112 may not be for everyone. I can also understand that if you set out to look for a traditional (looking) knife, the slimline versions of the 110 and 112 may not scratch that itch.

Or they could make an Aluminum 112 like I've been whining about ever since I first heard about the aluminum 110. Just sayin'...

Words can't express how much I love my aluminum 110. It is everything that the Ecolites pointed to and so, so much more.

The balance has really ruined my traditional 110s for me.

I'm an odd duck and know it WRT my pref for rear pocket carry. I found the Ecolite 112 too thick for front pocket carry. For rear pocket carry, I just move up to the 110, which fits my hand better. The 112 is a prettier knife though.

I didn't know that the 112 existed until now. I like its size and how it manages to be smaller while retaining all of the 110's characteristics. The price seems to increase a bit but I can live with that. Does anyone have experience on how these knives hold up over time?
They hold up great my daily carry is a 1992 vintage 112. Used when I bought it and has been well used by me. Few dings in the brass that's about it. Cant say enough good things about the Buck 110/112

I have a Buck 112 that I bought from the factory store in El Cajon, Ca many years ago. I wore that in a leather belt sheath for quite some time while on active duty. A very solid classic knife in rosewood scales and brass bolsters. Still locks up solidly. I also have a couple of Case Trappers with stag scales. Also very nice knives that fit more easily into a front trouser pocket but, because they are slip joints, I don't feel as confident of them for heavy use compared to a lockback design such as the Buck 112. I have a number of Case knives, most with stag scales. If you have a chance to go through the boxes and personally hand pick the knife before you buy, you will have something that will give you many years of service and pleasure. I really like Case and they have always stood behind the product for me but they can be a bit spotty with their QC.

They hold up great my daily carry is a 1992 vintage 112. Used when I bought it and has been well used by me. Few dings in the brass that's about it. Cant say enough good things about the Buck 110/112
How well has the blade lock held up. I understand that after a while the pivot and/or blade lock can wear out causing the knife to loosen up. Did you ever feel the need to take the knife apart (I know you cant take it apart) because something like the blade becoming a bit loose.

Back