Buck 110s and 112s SLIMS

Buck did say the design of the Short fat pocket clip was to help eliminate the damage when walking by something from the clip. I will admit i scratch things with other brands. i dont notice it with this one.

Finally got my hands on a 112 Slim Pro in brown micarta. Sadly, I'm pretty disappointed. The blade rocks and twists within the micarta scales (at the pivot) without much effort. I noticed this one of the first few times I opened it, because the space between the blade and scales varies at the pivot from one opening to the next. Should I send this one in for repair?

(Makes me think Buck should have used metal liners on this model.)

Finally got my hands on a 112 Slim Pro in brown micarta. Sadly, I'm pretty disappointed. The blade rocks and twists within the micarta scales (at the pivot) without much effort. I noticed this one of the first few times I opened it, because the space between the blade and scales varies at the pivot from one opening to the next. Should I send this one in for repair?

(Makes me think Buck should have used metal liners on this model.)
Yes, all I have seen have been great. No metal liners are needed.

Mine is tight all the way around. Now I had a 110 with the plastic handles that I wound up selling, I just didn’t care for it. Only reason I bought it was to get free shipping. It was also tight but seemed a little flimsy compared to the 112 slim pro.

Ordered and received my 3 112 slims yesterday. Got a red, blue and green plastic handeled versions. Usually wear a 112LT or 110LT to work but the green 112 slim got the duty yesterday. The blue and red slims are Christmas gifts.

I will add the green color is lighter than the picture on the website but actually i like it better. Its what i call a lime yellow or lemon green like the last fire truck i was on.
I wasnt sure if i was getting the blue for USAF or red for Fire Dept but when i saw the green i said that’s the one for me.

Also as i keep looking at and opening this limeyellow 112 slim i really don’t know why Buck didn’t keep the current traditional 112 blade? Not knocking this grind it’s nice too.
And the pocket clip is very nice. Easy in and i feel even easier than narrow clips to get out.
Wider purchase keeps you from grabbing the pocket on either side of the clip like most narrow clips.
The logo cut out,will make it easier to identify my Buck family members too!

Also as i keep looking at and opening this limeyellow 112 slim i really don’t know why Buck didn’t keep the current traditional 112 blade? Not knocking this grind it’s nice too.

My guess is it's halfway between the clip and the drop point and pease both sides. Personally I prefer drop points but I like this modified clip better than a clip point. So it seems to work from the other direction as well.

St8yd that is an excellent observation and an angle I hadn’t thought of. And in no way am i not liking this blade. Great knife all around.

The 112 Slim Select has a lot more in common with the 482 bucklite max than it does with the 112 ranger. Might have been easier for Buck to re-engineer the bucklite since it already had the thumb studs, pocket clip, frn handle and modified clip point blade.

One comment stated the blade handle ratio was odd but mentioned that that was how the original 112 ranger was? I have a second year production Ranger and the blade falls short of the blade grove just like the slim.
Were the early Rangers fitted with the slightly shorter blade. I just thought it had the tip broken but puzzled as to how impossible it is to tell. Opinions welcome.
Think this could be somewhat off topic

Just got a blue 112 slim and a blue 110 slim in I'm giving as Christmas presents. If anyone is on the fence about buying these I say go for it! Light, no play, and USA made for relatively cheap. Right around $25 a piece and forever warranty. The pocket clip is nice. Wasn't sure I'd like it from the internet pics, but it is comfortable in hand and works well. The only problem I have is I didn't order any for me.:cool:

Ps.-hope SK gets some of these with CPM154 blades, they'd be just about the perfect edc.

Question in another thread was what knife to carry after removing the clip in a drop it in your pocket carry. Of the choices Spyderco Delica was 1st choice but i think the ranger slim would work great for this style EDC??
For me i love this new 112 slim. Clip is perfect just pinch clip and scale and its out with a resounding snap.

So....
I didn't peruse the entire thread but has anyone else polished the micarta on their Slim?
Came out alright but it needs a bit of reapplication of Ren wax to keep from fading.

Also, has anyone elses thumb stud fallen off?
Mine did, after one week with only one or two uses.
Just heard a mystery rattle then poof...it was on the floor.
Scabbed a set of studs off of an old SOG I had lying around.
What's the fix on the studs?
I know they're knurled/pressed but it won't get tight, the studs slip right off the pin.

ZPkjb7Q.jpg

So....
I didn't peruse the entire thread but has anyone else polished the micarta on their Slim?
Came out alright but it needs a bit of reapplication of Ren wax to keep from fading.

Also, has anyone elses thumb stud fallen off?
Mine did, after one week with only one or two uses.
Just heard a mystery rattle then poof...it was on the floor.
Scabbed a set of studs off of an old SOG I had lying around.
What's the fix on the studs?
I know they're knurled/pressed but it won't get tight, the studs slip right off the pin.

ZPkjb7Q.jpg
Buck might send a set.

The thumb studs got loose on one of my Slims and I pressed it back into place in a vice. They came loose again right away and I eventually removed the studs and reinstalled them with epoxy. So far, so good. When that fails, I'll send it back for repair.

I removed the clip on one of my 112 Slims for pocket carry and found it was difficult for me to open it one-handed without it. I attribute that to my old fingers, more than anything.

The thumb studs got loose on one of my Slims and I pressed it back into place in a vice. They came loose again right away and I eventually removed the studs and reinstalled them with epoxy. So far, so good. When that fails, I'll send it back for repair.

I removed the clip on one of my 112 Slims for pocket carry and found it was difficult for me to open it one-handed without it. I attribute that to my old fingers, more than anything.
Buck might send a set.
Thanks for the advice.
I may just order a set of threaded studs from knife kits and be done with it.
Give it more of a customized look.;)

Back