Buck fixed blade Fridays

yWNwktx.jpg

Just kicked the rest of the family out. Gotta do it all again tomorrow.
Figured it's still Friday so one more fixed blade...
931 Clip Point Hunter to go with the 935 Sweep Point Hunters I posted earlier. I'll have to dig up the 933 Trailing Point Hunter at some point to complete the trio.

First, make no mistake, I'm a huge fan of Buck. As a matter of fact, I carry a Buck of some sort just about every day. Most of which are upgraded standard patterns.

I rarely dive in to web specials or have enough notice to even consider one. This is one of the only ones I have picked up, and quite possibly the reason I might use to pass on future ones.

This is model 0116EKSLC. Not sure the year, but would've been in the last 2-4. It's one of 24 made from a 116 Caper where the craftsman ground a clip into the blade.

The good: it's a great idea and very attractive.
The bad: execution - you'll see in the photos a guard that isn't square, a flat spot in the curvature of the blade at the tip, uneven grinds, and non-symmertical shaping from one side to the other where the ebony spacer meets the guard.

It left me feeling like it was "thrown together in a hurry" to make a quick buck.

I dont know if it was Joe's hands that did the work, or some new kid they were trying to teach the craft.

There's no reason for these issues. It's not like the tine was narrower than the guard or that it is off center. There's plenty of material for a proper transition. They did it right on one side, after all.

"Heavy handed and hurried" is the only thing I can come up with.

Why didn't I send it back? I kept it as a reminder to be careful buying a knife without seeing it in person or via photos. It's a crap shoot when there are a limited number made and the photo representing it is usually the best example.

So it resides on my desk for opening the mail. Which coincidentally is the reason I got it in the first place.
tip.jpgright.jpgleft.jpgbelly 1.jpgpom 1.jpgpom 2.jpgpom 3.jpg

Back