Buck's Large Trapper

I have 2 now David and that will hold me for awhile lol! That 'One Riot One Ranger' was a really nice knife..But I'm glad I got the real jigged bone. I could see myself with about 4 or 5 in rotation..but that's down the road. I have a 111 shieth I made into a open top and I'll use that for now. On lockdown due to Covid-19 I don't leave the house often. I'm keeping the Bullet in the car and the NKCA will be my desk/carry for now.

The lanyard hole escaped all the pictures I took of it and I went next door and delivered it about 9:30 this evening..When I looked at both together with the Bullet version they were almost identical. The only difference was the Cartridge head instead of the bullet emblem and of course the blade etch. David there's a few more in the Safari Series but I don't remember if they were all large trappers. When he comes over to bring the juicer he ordered for me tonight ill ask him to bring it with him and take side by side pictures. This is the Bullet..20200827_165459.jpg

Yes, the lanyard sleeve is done correct. Thanks for the extra picture. That cocabola is striking. DM

This thread needs more Buck content, just saying:D...
kbRPYgA.jpg

Ohb23uO.jpg

The NKCA bone or a Buck version was my goal when I first started on the search. I gave myself a limit of $50.00 and it was the most fun I've had for a while. The best thing about this particular journey for me was a new appreachion for traditional knives and Camillus.
When you search for a bargain you have to recognize it when one comes along. After looking at literally hundreds of listings on Ebay and threads here on the forum the first, one a part's knife, stood out for it's Cocobolo and lack of blade etch. I've always been attracted to Buildout's by Buck and after I had it in hand I liked the way it felt except for the strong snap. From the beginning 'grippyness' was what I needed because of Carpal tunnel and why I was straying away from the single blade locking folders I've used most of my life. The jigged bone trappers seen at the start of this thread just plain looked awesome!The convenience of having 2 blades in a manageable sized knife a real plus.
Yep we need more Bucks in this thread..But Camillus IS a kissing cousin lol!

One of the biggest surprises to me on my 'Trapper Trip' was GEC..I had never even heard of them before this thread. They reminded me of Bucks history and the knives GEC makes are very high quality and I was really impressed by the collectors dedication that chase them..But I like Bucks LE boxes better.

David Martin is a bad influence.
After first reading this thread I picked up two of the Camillus made Remingtons, and now three of the recent run of GEC 23's.
Haven't yet found a Buck model I could afford.
This pattern is a great worker!
I don't want to be a butthead, but...this is the Buck Forum and David is the moderator.

I know that Camillus made the 334 large trapper for Buck and it and it's cousins are fine, useful knives. There just has been more talk recently of and photos of the cousins.

I don't know what a Buck 334 is selling for now and am not going to search for it. W wildmike I would think if you could afford three GEC 23s, which are fairly pricey, you can afford a Buck.
I won't say anymore.
xlysXCc.jpg

I don't want to be a butthead, but...this is the Buck Forum and David is the moderator.

I know that Camillus made the 334 large trapper for Buck and it and it's cousins are fine, useful knives. There just has been more talk recently of and photos of the cousins.

I don't know what a Buck 334 is selling for now and am not going to search for it. W wildmike I would think if you could afford three GEC 23s, which are fairly pricey, you can afford a Buck.
I won't say anymore.
xlysXCc.jpg
Buck's a hundred and a half and upwards roughly and I found mine for just under 100. the remington cousins I found mine for 35 and 45. I see NOS in box ones for 60 buck range.

dont know about gecs. never looked at them, only really liking these Buck and other branded camillus made ones, right now.

pj, nice color on your jigged bone. I noticed on yours the mid pins are set even.
Whereas on mine they are staggered. I wonder if that reflects a different date & method of doing them. DM

The manner Craig and I use the term. Is a knife ( this Buck model) put together from parts. Even new parts, purchased after Camillus closed their doors in 2002 or 2003 and sold off inventory. i.e. machines, knife parts, ect.. This Buck model not having all the elements of those sold thru the Smokey Mountain Knife offering of 2000. ( see my article written about this model in the Buck Collectors newsletters Dec. 2018 edition) If it doesn't have all the elements of that offering. It was put together from left over parts, not offered in that sale.
There are other Buck models that fall into this same pattern. The Buck 307 comes to mind. Some of those have surfaced with elements that had to have been put together after the Camillus contract ended. These are still a Buck marked, new Camillus made knife. Hope this helps. DM

Back