Buck's Large Trapper

Nice one jb! The only tang stamp on mine is Camillus USA on the smaller blade. I haven't seen many Buck trappers and few (if any) were under $100.00. The very nicest complete NIB were always over $200.00 but I don't think that's out of line considering how few are offered. Does anyone remember what the different Buck versions sold when new? Inflation is a real factor since the 90's. I believe it only took $70.00 of 1990 dollars or less to buy $100.00 in 2020 dollars. The more I use my Trapper the more I like it! This week I'll send my 112's to the closet and give the Trapper a workout. One thing for sure with this bear trap is I will have to be careful...so it doesn't bite me.
thank you Sir. I prefer yours stamp wise. also I like a bear trap. more spring the better. mine have some spring but easy to open and close. these have grown on me. some bargains out there if ya look and wait on the remington marked ones.

yep those Buck marked ones are harder to find and higher dollar than I thought. I dont want or need a high dollar one. a user would be fine by me.

You gents take nice photos. jbmonkey, I like a decent stiff spring too. Mak, if were going to make a wish. I'd be happy with any up grade steel. You sure have some handsome Trappers. DM

You gents take nice photos. jbmonkey, I like a decent stiff spring too. Mak, if were going to make a wish. I'd be happy with any up grade steel. You sure have some handsome Trappers. DM
Would love Buck to do a Trapper in 154CM.
ibohc5Q.jpg

bucksway, in post 1 of this topic I posted a picture of the 2 versions Buck contracted with. Camillus and the boxes they came with.

Thanks David I have reread this post (and many others lol!) in my research before I bought one but didn't remember all the pictures. Thank YOU for starting this thread! I have been 'focused' on 112's for so long I missed a lot of knowledge and knives..I really, really like the large trapper! I bought one yesterday for my son Richard. It's the 375 HnH Magnum in the Classic Cartridge series. Used but still nice with good blade etch and handles. The Bullet Trapper has got some SNAP lol!

for those of ya who carry one of these large trappers on a belt instead of a pocket, what sheath do ya use?

was thinking Buck 110 nylon. cheap and kinda fits but not perfect. prefer an open top leather type, but didn't see anything obvious on quick internet search. guess I could always beg nicely for Mak to find time to pattern one for me.;)

Fat bottom on this knife. Maybe downward push into sheath and pull with a lanyard.

It looks like it has a protruding ring. Which is normal. Great for you. A parts knife
with both a shield and emblem. A great find. DM

When I first started collecting 112's I treasured build outs over many regular LE's..First because many had extremely low runs and for the most part interesting. A further plus was they came and went very quickly and you had to be quick to get them. I was actually very happy with my Trapper because it was a 'parts' knife. And since Camillus is a kissing cousin of Buck I don't feel bad mine is not marked. I actually hoped to find one without the Bullet emblem but with only 2 weeks searching and my bidding limit mine was about the best I could find.

It looks like it has a protruding ring. Which is normal. Great for you. A parts knife
with both a shield and emblem. A great find. DM
ahhhh. did not know that. its supposed to have the ring sticking out on each side on a Buck version. good info, Sir. thank you. yes Sir, didnt realize it was a good find, just saw a potential user and thought why not. good to know, but still gonna be a user.:)

When I first started collecting 112's I treasured build outs over many regular LE's..First because many had extremely low runs and for the most part interesting. A further plus was they came and went very quickly and you had to be quick to get them. I was actually very happy with my Trapper because it was a 'parts' knife. And since Camillus is a kissing cousin of Buck I don't feel bad mine is not marked. I actually hoped to find one without the Bullet emblem but with only 2 weeks searching and my bidding limit mine was about the best I could find.

I think ya found a great one, Sir. I dig on the blade stamp and has wonderful cocobolo on it. stiff spring is a huge plus to me, anyways. its a winner in general besides ya got at a great price. one to be proud of, imho.

Last edited:
Thanks JB..I might be in the minority but I really consider price. That Trapper came home for $40.00 shipped and I was tickled I found a bargain for a knife I really wanted. I thought I would end up with one of the 'Wildlife' series since I had a self imposed limit of under $50.00 and even tho nice I wasn't crazy about the colored insert..If it had just the Pewter inlay in the handle I would like it better. The Buck version is classic. Since I like the pattern I'll be looking for a bargain in a NKCA with the horn or one of the Buck versions. I'll probably end up modifying this one by trying to checker the wood for a better grip and popping out the bullet and putting it a bit of silver or begging a small piece of interior Mastodon Ivory from my Brother..

JB, my first one, a parts knife. Came without the Buck shield or 2000 emblem and the lanyard hole sleeve does not protrude on one side. I was able to get a Buck shield but the 2000 emblems are long gone. The protruding, curled lanyard sleeve helps it function as a pin to hold it together and give a lanyard hole. So, on your model you got the important items. Just not the blade inking. DM

Lost one and won one today! I managed to win one of the 1988 NKCA Jigged bone handled new but no box or paperwork..And under $50.00 shipped too. I'm really happy with that. The one I lost was a 1986 LE 'One Riot One Ranger' absolutely NIB with black Jigged Deldrin (sp?) that went for under $40.00 shipped that was about a third of it's value. I'm really liking the big TRAPPER..

Back