Buck's Large Trapper

I've been looking on Ebay and I think I will try to pick up one of the USA's version. The price difference is not that much and I like the challenge of finding a bargain. Except for the clubs 301 all my knives are locking folders..It will take a little getting used to but I like the look. The 'Wildlife Series' seems to be the one I could get for under $50.00. For some reason I don't see very many used ones at all unlike 110/112 Bucks on Ebay. But that's probably because of the millions Buck made. David I believe the Marbles D2 Trapper I seen was $27.00 but I have so many 112's I use now in S30V, S35VN and D2 I'm not worried about finding a Trapper in any super steel. I just really like the look of the large Trappers especially in bone with a small simple insert in the handle..Running critters don't do a lot for me.

Try Moore Maker in South TX.. They still -mfg this model with bone handles and a
locking blade. I've read they use 1095 steel. DM

so these are the 4.5" closed size correct?

also the offset vs. lined up pins. what drove that? one favored more than the other ?

thank you

Yes same size as the Buck. I have a customer who has one and I have sharpened it at shows.
The off set pins are a story all its own. The alignment of those pins changed in 99 or 2000. Because it found the bone handles cracked at that pin from stress or dropping. So, the center pin was moved. However, it is a fake pin. The pivot pin still remains in the center hidden under the the bone slabs. DM

Try Moore Maker in South TX.. They still -mfg this model with bone handles and a
locking blade. I've read they use 1095 steel. DM

Unless things have changed, Mooremaker doesn't manufacturer, but contracts with others such as Queen, Camillus, Bear, Canal Street, etc. They have misrepresented their product as being Texas made for awhile.

Yes same size as the Buck. I have a customer who has one and I have sharpened it at shows.
The off set pins are a story all its own. The alignment of those pins changed in 99 or 2000. Because it found the bone handles cracked at that pin from stress or dropping. So, the center pin was moved. However, it is a fake pin. The pivot pin still remains in the center hidden under the the bone slabs. DM
makes sense.

ahhhh...good info on the pins. guess the change was for all scale materials even wood ones as i see those both ways too on the remington bullet ones, I think are camillus made, as well.

thank you Sir.

Your welcome ^.
Maybe mfg. By Queen? These are shown on their web-site. Just from sharpening it,
the heat treat seems sound. DM

I finally found one! It was one of the last to leave the factory with no blade etch and just plain wood with the Remington Bullet insert in the handle. So a parts knife. I'm still high bidder on a 1988 NKCA Jigged horn but I doubt my high bid will stand. This one will let me know if I like the pattern and if so I will search out one in jigged bone possibly even a real Buck version. The seller mentioned a 'half stop' feature for the blade that I have never heard of before. I was drawn to this particular one because of beautiful wood and lack of any blade etch. If I really, really like it I might pull the bullet insert and put something else (silver maybe?) in the handle. I'll post pics when it gets home but it looks very similar to the 3 Mike saved when he bought the Remington collection but with no blade etch at all..Just the bullet. I have a real appreciation now for the Jumbo trapper after looking at so many and this one with simple beautiful wood and plain blades stood out. I thought about ways to make the smooth wood a bit more grippy if that turns out to be a problem such as homemade checkering or skateboard tape (send to Leroy for shark or Ray skin insert lol) but for the moment I'm happy I have found one to play with. I like the fact that in it's own way it's rare and odd..a buildout if you will. I was told it was one of the last to be made in the factory before it closed. This whole experience researching Calimmus gave me a new appreachion for American knife companies and in fact Buck too. I believe Buck at one time considered buying Calimmus...if they had can yall imagine how Bucks 300 series might have been?

did camillus make those 80s and 90s era remington bullet large trappers? I thought they did, but not sure?

I have seen ref to a 0170-6c steel on some of these remingtom bullet large trappers paperwork. so I guess some in that carbon steel and some in the 440a stainless.

This one is the biggest pain in the ass ive ever came across to sharpen. Seriously the knife refuses to take an edge. Does someone know something I don't?

1597982357878737796048782130212.jpg 1597982378823653237585000878194.jpg 15979823979678797780326631653859.jpg

Mak, I suspect it has thick steel at its edge bevel. Which calls for a coarse stone then work finer. Or send it to me and I'll do it for you. DM

I think more than anything my search for a Jumbo Trapper led me to look at many other knife manufacturers besides Buck. I had no idea there was so many! GEC for instance..They are very interesting both the knives and the company. I thought I was a collector with over 75 112's but those guys are crazy! But I do perfer Bucks boxes over the tubes they ship in...
But my search proved to me again that if you needed a cutting tool sometime in the past or now Buck has made one to fill that need. And with a great quality product! I'm looking forward to playing with my new JT and have a new appreachion for the 300 series as a tool. One thing I did notice too was the fact that few 'Traditional' knives and patterns use super steels..After finally getting onboard and seeing for myself that S35VN and D2 and even good old S30V makes a real difference in actual performance how few are offered in premium steels. In my search I don't think I seen even 1 trapper or folder in BG42 and it seems to me a larger knife like a Jumbo trapper would really benefit from super steels in actual use. And the cost both new and now of many knives I looked at were NOT inexpensive that the extra cost of super steel blades would be prohibitive. Another thing stood out to me was the fact I seen very few used knives compared to NIB..at least for knives from the 1970's onwards.

Back