Burr is kicking my butt

It really isn't unusual for the bevel to be slightly different on the opposite sides of the same blade.
If even bevels are important to you, then yes, go ahead and re-profile to the same angle on each side. I would also ensure that the edge was centred--each bevel being the same width.
If even angled bevels don't matter to you, just tilt the knife a bit on the steeper side until the edge is actually being sharpened.
Greg

That is a common problem that many companies put a 20 deg+ bevel on their knives. That is so close to the Sharpmaker setting that you don't really profit from the Sharpmaker. On a Spyderco which is usually run with a 15 deg bevel, you are only applying a small "micro" bevel with the 20 deg setting and touchups are very quick.

Greg thats a good idea.
Yeah I was so impressed with the mini-grips blade when it came to me from the factory it could actually whittle hair. Since I touched it up it hasnt been able to do that. So im kinda scared to try and reprofile it.

I usually use toilet paper as a test medium when I go beyond easy shaving. I take toilet paper and pierce it with my blade. Then I see that I can slice it without tearing using a slightly transverse drawing cut. Some steels this is a pretty straightforward test of how thinly I have profiled the edge. On some stainless I have to strop using submicron diamond grit to achieve this performance.

Hi Jeff, can you verify my video - is it same what you are doing? Please.

Thanks, Vassili.

Thanks for that advice jeff :) I will one day start cutting into it and reprofiling. Actually after I posted last night that the sharpmaker wasnt hitting the edge on the one side anymore. I went ahead and stropped it later that night. Following Stretchnm's suggestions I stropped twenty passes on each side. Then I came back and did 20 passes on each side again today, and then alternated back and forth 5 on each side. Well now this knife will whittle hair and cut free hanging hairs. I finally made it to the next level guys. Its all because of you guys advice. I've learned all this from this forum and you guys help.

This is burr I had when sharpen Swamp Rat to test toothy edge:

This is raised burr after Extra Extra Coarse:

burr-01.jpg

burr-02.jpg

This is after Coarse:

burr-03.jpg

burr-04.jpg

This one after Extra Fine:

burr-05.jpg

burr-06.jpg

I removed it with Extra Fine under same angle and same direction, but just almost without pressure and changing sides. I did about 30 passes I guess changing sides (30 each) and burr disappear around 15th, but I continue till 30 just in case it was broken - to make sure I have sharpened edge, not broken burr.

I guess I can do this for each stone, but I will have new burr anyway, so why to do extra work?

Result is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCcbyJLAGAw

Thanks, Vassili.

Back