Bush Brute

They've arrived! All of the micarta brutes have sold, the G10 handles are still available.

DDBWBZfl.jpg

qHcWEvJl.jpg

1GEssdll.jpg

wf20ifCl.jpg

qq74Y9ml.jpg

Su0x8fjl.jpg

XjgHv0cl.jpg

7Y4Nis0l.jpg

O0K6Ijgl.jpg

Looks like they should make excellent all around users for camping and woods bumming.

I agree. Feedback from the guy who have now owns the prototype stated exactly that, it does exactly what we designed it for quite well.

I'll have to see if he's okay dropping his username here since he's not on bladeforums. I have a sales listing on that forum as well and this was his comment to the post. He's commented a few times about it, I think the biggest compliment was, "... is much more slicey than I expected."

"I have a prototype and everything he says above is true of the prototype. If I remember right, the main difference is these are just a bit thicker.

Anyway, I'd recommend them as great camp/bushcraft knives."

And this was shortly after the gentleman started trying it out:

"The Bush Brute, or, at least this prototype, is much more slicey than I expected. Took care of that apple really well, and I expect other fruits and vegetables would go similarly. Much more slicey than the ESEE 6, for instance, although I've left the coating on mine, and that is part of the problem. Does well with wood, too. Haven't built any fires yet with it, though.

I have found that I can actually carry it IWB pretty comfortably. The blade is as long as the 6, but the handle is shorter, and the whole thing is lighter. I need a better setup than I've got now, but if I get a better clip I'd be temped to continue to carry it IWB. I believe the sheath it came with will also fit an ESEE clip plate - I may try that out, too, especially if I camp with it soon."

I've sold 2 more to guys on that edc forum now. I'll be eager to get their feedback as well but it seems to be living up the positive reviews from Kevin Cleary and Jake at Canadian Cutting Edge.

It's satisfying moving a little more steel this year and watching my Mighty Oaks Foundation donations account growing much faster. That's my most important KPI.

Ben, thanks for posting! I'm glad you like my humble work. The Brute was designed by Chad, and I see you've got a Sitrep as well, which was designed largely by me, but heavily inspired by Chad's Michigan Utility knife, and with his final approval on the design. Speaking of the MUK, I hear we may be seeing some of those in AEB-L in the near future. Same thing with the Bush camps, which I see you also have, one of the originals made by John. Nice looking knife as well! Enjoy!

Everything that everyone is saying is accurate. I've used it for the last week for woods bumming and kitchen tasks. Heck, I even made sushi using it. "Sushi?" you ask. Yes, sushi. "With a big camp knife?" you ask. Yes, with this one. "Are you nuts?" you ask with increasing incredulity. Yep. Completely insane, but that doesn't change the fact that this thing was so sharp that I able to do it.

But while it can shave a carrot, slice even sheets of raw tuna etc... I was also able to almost completely hack through branches about 3/4" thick without difficulty. Oh and the heat treat is awesome. It has held an edge through all this rather beautifully. Less than a minute of stropping and I can effortlessly give myself a case of "knife mange" on my arm.

The interesting thing is that when I put this knife side-by-side with my BK2, it's nearly identical for proportions. I mean look at this:

BhVzGHw.jpg

inlbppu.jpg

So you know, nor differences in proportion. The spine of the Brute is much flatter with a less severe drop than the BK2, and obviously the handle is more Hudson Bay-ish on the Brute where Becker's got his own thing going on. But the blade and handle lengths, proportion to one another, and the blade height are spot on. But then you look at it from the top down.

o8GLQxd.jpg

Now, wudjya look at that. See how slim and sleek the Brute is. A comment i have made before is that the name is "brute" and I get that compared to the smaller BushCamp, it may be a brute, but in reality, this thing ain't no brute. Brutes are crude, uncouth, and unrefined. This knife is as refined and well thought out as it gets. Really a marvels all-arounder.

Ben, thanks for posting! I'm glad you like my humble work. The Brute was designed by Chad, and I see you've got a Sitrep as well, which was designed largely by me, but heavily inspired by Chad's Michigan Utility knife, and with his final approval on the design. Speaking of the MUK, I hear we may be seeing some of those in AEB-L in the near future. Same thing with the Bush camps, which I see you also have, one of the originals made by John. Nice looking knife as well! Enjoy!

Nothing humble about this. The knife's design and build quality are both masterful.

The SITREP isn't mine. This is one that my co-worker, Mike, received in the Memorial Day GAW, thanks to bikerector bikerector and 1066vik 1066vik 's kindness. Now that I got the BushBrute I asked Mike to bring in his SITREP to the office so I could take a comparison shot. Here they are, hangin' out together. That SITREP has a remarkably comfortable handle. For such big knife it's amazingly nimble and just feels great in the hand.

C8zdraV.jpg

Last edited:
I see you've got a Sitrep as well, which was designed largely by me, but heavily inspired by Chad's Michigan Utility knife, and with his final approval on the design.

I'm going to clarify how I worded this. When I say largely, I do not mean mostly, or even halfway. I only mean this is the Good Knife Co. design that I had the most input on as far as design goes. The knife would never have existed without the groundwork laid by Chad's keen eye for design. I basically took his design, scaled it up, and slightly changed the blade shape. I would be remiss to seem to take more credit than I deserve.

If any of you are looking for a leather sheath to go along with the Bush Brute, I can highly recommend the Architect Size U sheath from TKC.

They come a bit dry but once to condition them they're perfect.

GA5eMUe.jpg

xqZKLh6.jpg

My 7 yr old and 4 yr old also enjoy the Brute.

92vEOv7.jpg

R4uzGKN.jpg

Evan, my little one, says it's a little too big for him, and I definitely see that. But he did a better job than I expected with it, considering he's accustomed to using his Mora 511, which is obviously much smaller and lighter. But by grabbing the handle as far forward as he could, where it's at its narrowest, he actually had remarkably good control over the blade.

ocPwaOh.jpg

19-3ben 19-3ben Those are great pics of your boys using knives safely. I'm a huge supporter of teaching proper use when they are young.
Thanks! They absolutely love it. In fact, my big guy, many times will volunteer to forego a bedtime story if we can sit in his room and "make curly Qs" with wood. My discovery of GKC is only within the last six months, so most of my pictures are of the kids using other brands, and out of respect to Chad I don't want to clog up his subform with pics of kids using other branded knives, but needless to say my kids love them.

In fact, you should all know that Chad is an absolute gentleman. I ordered a Pocket Woodcrafter for Evan, the 4 yr old. Chad not only is sending us the knife I paid for, he also set up a few carry options for him and even made him a personalized video so Evan could watch "the knife man" talk to him about his knife and the ways he can carry it. Evan is now learning a bit of US geography as we track the knife's progress from Michigan to Connecticut, and of course the anticipation is building. Looks like it should be here on Friday, just in time for the weekend!

I agree. Feedback from the guy who have now owns the prototype stated exactly that, it does exactly what we designed it for quite well.

I'll have to see if he's okay dropping his username here since he's not on bladeforums. I have a sales listing on that forum as well and this was his comment to the post. He's commented a few times about it, I think the biggest compliment was, "... is much more slicey than I expected."

"I have a prototype and everything he says above is true of the prototype. If I remember right, the main difference is these are just a bit thicker.

Anyway, I'd recommend them as great camp/bushcraft knives."

And this was shortly after the gentleman started trying it out:

"The Bush Brute, or, at least this prototype, is much more slicey than I expected. Took care of that apple really well, and I expect other fruits and vegetables would go similarly. Much more slicey than the ESEE 6, for instance, although I've left the coating on mine, and that is part of the problem. Does well with wood, too. Haven't built any fires yet with it, though.

I have found that I can actually carry it IWB pretty comfortably. The blade is as long as the 6, but the handle is shorter, and the whole thing is lighter. I need a better setup than I've got now, but if I get a better clip I'd be temped to continue to carry it IWB. I believe the sheath it came with will also fit an ESEE clip plate - I may try that out, too, especially if I camp with it soon."

I've sold 2 more to guys on that edc forum now. I'll be eager to get their feedback as well but it seems to be living up the positive reviews from Kevin Cleary and Jake at Canadian Cutting Edge.

It's satisfying moving a little more steel this year and watching my Mighty Oaks Foundation donations account growing much faster. That's my most important KPI.

I'm the guy that said this stuff. Funny to stumble upon it here. I stand by it, though. I've carried it quite a bit concealed and openly, and it has carried well either way. It's on a leather TKC backplate/loop right now since I'll be using it hiking now that the rain has cleared.

kpEt21y.jpg

Comparable in size to the ESEE 6, but much lighter and more pleasant to carry due to the slight length decrease (mostly in the handle and choil).

hXPgHRa.jpg

It's seen a good amount of backyards use and some in the woods - but also a decent amount in my kitchen.

I'll be looking at more The Good Knife Co. knives in the future - already am, I guess, and maybe I need to pick up a Pocket Woodcrafter for my son. He's getting a lot better solo with knives.

He's getting a lot better solo with knives.
When our new Pocket Woodcrafter comes in and my little guys get their grubby paws on it, I'll be sure to post up reviews and impressions. We might have to see if there are more of those in the pipeline!

Reactions: FSA
Back