Busse and/or CPK

Have you guys watched Nathan's videos? I've never seen a Busse take anything that I wouldn't expect a comparable sized CPK to handle with equal or less damage...and they cut better.
Anecdotal story, I have a very thin convex ground busse. Lent it to a friend who took a wild swing and hit a rock full force. Surprisingly there was only a tiny chip out of the edge.

Have you guys watched Nathan's videos? I've never seen a Busse take anything that I wouldn't expect a comparable sized CPK to handle with equal or less damage...and they cut better.

It certainly wasn’t my intent to imply that CPKs wouldn’t hold up like a Busse. I’ve seen the videos, I’ve listened to Nathan’s philosophies and techniques, and I carry and use the knives - I am most definitely a believer.

But I got my start here with the Becker crowd, I’ll always have a soft spot for overbuilt slabs of sharpened steel. Busse knives are like Beckers on steroids - I can dig that.

I've seen Nathan's videos, and I'm confident his knives can take a beating. I don't have too many (yet), so I haven't personally really put them through the wringer like I have many of my Busse. That Behemother I posted earlier barely has a scratch on her yet, but I promise, she has a hard life ahead of her... :eek: :D

Not trying to provoke a fight .... :)

But like me, I know there are some of you who use both. Now, Busse and CPK obviously have some very different offerings, but there also is some noticeable overlap.

For example, in use, the SOB and FK2 should compare nicely. Or, for a longer blade, the Boss Jack vs. the HDFK. Etc.

If you own both, how do you compare them ? How about INFI vs D3V ? D3V is harder, and - IMHO - more corrosion resistant. But how about toughness ? Etc.

Just curious. Thanks !

Roland.

I actually did a very hard test and posted the results somewhere several years back. I used a kabar as a test blade and it failed in a predictable way. No shame in that, as i expected the kabar to fail. However, the CPK and the Busse just kept on going and I stopped when the edges were so mashed that, there was no more cutting going on and the blade had stopped denting and would not propagate a fracture. I was impressed that CPK did not fail. Certainly the best HT of any 3v I have ever had. The CPK did take more damage than the INFI knife, but the blades were shaped differently so that may have been a factor.

Here is a link to that test https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/edge-angles-you-have-nothing-to-worry-about.1441069/

For me, even though the steel is certainly important, the HT is everything. I remember in the early 2000's, Busse came out with a swamp rat in D2 that they hammered into pipe and it would not fail. It took forever to break. No one calls D2 tough, but that D2 would have smoked a lot of tough steels.

In essence I would rather have 440b HT'd by a master than 3v ht'd by a massproducer. But 3v by a master will certainly prevail. CPK is one of those. So is Busse.

As for bang for the buck, it is impossible to beat the swamp rats and the scrapyard knives in SR101/52100 with the Busse HT. Their only failing is the lack of corrosion resistance compared to the wood chipper type steels.

here are two of the many videos I made of this 3v/INFI test:

here is the kabar after it failed, and no shame in that as it was an overly abusive test

MuVR3J9.jpg

and here are the busse and cpk knives after the test.

N7P1w8d.jpg

So in other words, get whichever you like the looks of best.

Cobalt Cobalt can you clarify what CPK was used? 'cause that sure looks like another brand.

If my question brings a third brand name into the mix here I sure do not intend to stir any pot.

That is an experimental blade he sent me with his Delta HT. So it is not a regular production blade from him. I don't even know that he is making that blade. It was basically for me to destroy.

I was talking about knives that are readily available and - more importantly - warrantied/customer-supported :D
I just came back in to make the same comment. The singular unicorn example of NOT a CPK production knife is a real stretch for me.

I would love to see the same tests done with two blades today. I hate to see knives abused to failure, but my lizard brain says it would be awesome to watch available knives out to the test.

That scaleless blade in post # 48 is NOT a CPK or a Carothers D3V as correctly observed by a couple of regular CPK folks. Without going much into the past just because it will inevitably whip up some S! related drama, while it is true that the D3V HT was being shared among 3 separate entities, Nathan was the main "mad scientist" developer of the so-called Delta HT for CPM-3V.

I decided to chime in because facts matter and although that test blade, purportedly with D3V HT seems to have done very well, it is still not a Carothers/CPK blade and from what I have learned from Nathan's writings in these past handful of years is that not only the optimized HT being crucial in the performances but also how the edge itself was sharpened because there is also a definite method to that before Nathan sends anything out of his own workshop.

As for the topic of this thread, I have never owned or even held a Busse / Kin product, but I have had a couple or a few, oh OK fark me for being coy, 50+ CPKs go through my hands into and out of my safe so my opinion may be considered as a wee bit biased!

I've used both INFI and D3V and both of them are tough for what I use them for, mostly firewood prep when outdoors. Lots of chopping and batoning. I would never subject my knives to a hammer and nails, but it's nice to see that both of these steels will withstand some abuse.

That scaleless blade in post # 48 is NOT a CPK or a Carothers D3V as correctly observed by a couple of regular CPK folks.

So even though this may not be a std carothers blade, this blade was sent to me directly from carothers and it had the deltaHT. So unless you are telling me that there is a difference in the 3v used pre HT, this is carothers delta3V and it does apply. This is exactly how it happened. So not sure what you are implying as for not being his HT. As it is. Regardless of who ground the blade.

Back