Busses and Whisky

How is the tin cup whiskey? I've seen it a few times and haven't picked it up yet but I'm curious.

I like it! Easy, smooth drinking. Good timing, wrote this post about it in another sub-forum yesterday:

Yeah, it's pretty good stuff! :thumbsup: My current go-to for everyday drinking. FAR better than something like Jack, at a very similar price point. And it's local for me too.

We can get it in the big 1.75l bottles at Costco here, so the price is nice! :cool: Although it has gotten a fair bit more expensive than it used to be. :rolleyes: The bottle I bought last year was only ~$38 :cool:, but the three I've purchased this year were $52. Yes, I said three 1.75l bottles so far this year... lol :eek: The one I bought this Spring got nearly wiped out by myself and a few buddies one evening on an early season camping/fishing trip when we started drinking it upon returning to camp, and everyone liked it so much.

Here's bottle #3 as of yesterday evening:

View attachment 1218058

FYI, the little "cup" you get on top of the bottle is MUCH nicer on these big bottles! It's actually a nice, single piece of metal with no seams. I've been keeping them! Great little shot glasses for the trailer.

Congrats. ICE is awesome. To bad FIRE sucks. lol.

I just tasted at an event one of the best Bourbons I have tried and it is not from Kentucky. Garrison Brothers single barrel, cask strength, with silver wax top cover, selected for Total wine. WOW. Here is an internet pic of it

Garrison-Brothers-Single-Barrel-768x953.jpg

Congrats. ICE is awesome. To bad FIRE sucks. lol.

I just tasted at an event one of the best Bourbons I have tried and it is not from Kentucky. Garrison Brothers single barrel, cask strength, with silver wax top cover, selected for Total wine. WOW. Here is an internet pic of it

Garrison-Brothers-Single-Barrel-768x953.jpg

I tried some Garrison Brothers a couple of years ago. I found the 2015 Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey (47% ABV) to be worth the rather exorbitant price, but the 2014 and the Single Barrel that I had just didn't measure up. There must be a lot of variation in those barrels.

Also, as long as we're talking Texas booze, 1835 Bourbon is about as good as any $25 whiskey I've tried. Yellow Rose Rye was pretty good too, but sadly, not as cheap.

At least that's what I was thinking in February of 2017 when I wrote this:

Sunny and 82° here in East Podunk today, and I thought this balmy Texas weather called for Texas whiskey. Whiskey isn't something they've been making in Texas for very long (at least not legally), but after Tito's opened the first legal distillery in Texas two decades ago, there was at first a trickle, then a flood of spirits claiming to be from Texas. As far as I can tell, the "Texas" appellation usually means they bought stuff made somewhere else, bottled it in Texas, and then jacked up the price. Apparently it's a fairly effective marketing gimmick.

The first Texas booze I had other than Tito's vodka that I thought could hang with competition in the same price range was Four Roses Yellow Rose Rye, which was a little pricey, but awfully good, I thought. The second one was 1835 Bourbon, which is about as good as anything I've had for about $25 a bottle. This one was considerably more than that:

Last Friday, my wife and I were visiting with some of her friends in Austin, and one of those friends was Tim. It turns out that in addition to sharing a profession, Tim and I also share an interest in knives, guns, and booze. He Had a bottle of the 2015 edition of Garrison Brothers Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Maybe it was just the good company and sparkling conversation (Busse knives were mentioned more than once), but damn if that wasn't one of the best whiskeys (or whiskys) I've ever had. Very well integrated for only 2 years in the barrel, and a really nice cinnamon spice notes. It tasted like Christmas.

On the way home, we stopped at Spec's Houston hoping to find a bottle of the 2015, but all they had was the 2014 and the single barrel. I figured it was worth a shot. I've heard it varies from year to year, but I figured one if not both would at least be close. I opened both bottles today, and sadly, they don't have the same magic as the 2015. At $70 and $90 a bottle, respectively, I'd say they're overpriced by at least a factor of two. But for the 2015 I had last Friday, I'd willingly pay the price of a bottle of Lagavulin.

ETA: When I said Four Roses Rye, I meant Yellow Rose Rye. Not quite the same thing.

ETA: A couple years ago there were maybe half a dozen things marketed as Texas whiskeys at my local Texas liquor store. Today there are dozens calling themselves Texans, including a Canadian whiskey called Texas Crown that comes in a bag like Crown Royal except with Texas flag colors.

Last edited:
I tried some Garrison Brothers a couple of years ago. I found the 2015 Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey (47% ABV) to be worth the rather exorbitant price, but the 2014 and the Single Barrel that I had just didn't measure up. There must be a lot of variation in those barrels.

Also, as long as we're talking Texas booze, 1835 Bourbon is about as good as any $25 whiskey I've tried. Yellow Rose Rye was pretty good too, but sadly, not as cheap.

At least that's what I was thinking in February of 2017 when I wrote this:

ETA: A couple years ago there were maybe half a dozen things marketed as Texas whiskeys at my local Texas liquor store. Today there are dozens calling themselves Texans, including a Canadian whiskey called Texas Crown that comes in a bag like Crown Royal except with Texas flag colors.

A couple years ago, my sister-in-law gave me a bottle of "TX" blended Whiskey by Firestone & Robertson Distilling Co. in Ft. Worth, and it was pretty good FWIW. Surprised me.

So Amazon is coming out with two exclusive Islay single malts, a 16 yr Laphroaig and a 19 yr Bowmore. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Cobalt Cobalt

So Amazon is coming out with two exclusive Islay single malts, a 16 yr Laphroaig and a 19 yr Bowmore. Anyone have any thoughts on these? Cobalt Cobalt

I think I'd like to try them, but I won't be able to buy them because law does not allow corporate-owned retailers to sell hard liquor for off-site consumption.

Heck, Texas still has dry counties where you can't even buy beer. I think those are the ones with too many Baptists and not enough Catholics.

I think I'd like to try them, but I won't be able to buy them because law does not allow corporate-owned retailers to sell hard liquor for off-site consumption.

Heck, Texas still has dry counties where you can't even buy beer. I think those are the ones with too many Baptists and not enough Catholics.
These aren't available in the US at all I don't believe. I'd get them shipped to my in-laws and pick it up when I was there for Christmas.

Very interesting. That has serious implications. Too bad we can't get it here in the US (if that's true).

Yes that's the issue, it's a closed loop system with spirit laws in the US. Just like my adventure with finding the HP Ice I have a friend in the UK and he sent me a link for Amazon UK and said "You can get it right here" ... but it won't ship - talk about frustrating as hell so you need a proxy.
I've read there's legislation working it's way through different legal channels but like JTT said, there's still dry counties in this country. I've been in some in Kentucky myself where you had to drive to the next county over just to but beer. There are some states that can be shipped to, Ohio happens to be one, but even that isn't so simple. There's some laws concerning the shipping state, and the ship to state and rules about that. For example, I bought that Ice in Michigan and they could ship it to Ohio, but could not ship within Michigan, had to be picked up for a Michigan resident- I found many places that had it in inventory and said they shipped out of state - but, you had to enter your information and see if you were in a state they could ship to. I must have tried 10 other places to no avail. So I think these are agreements made and negotiated even between particular states.
The bottom line it seems, as usual, it's all about money and everyone getting their little piece of the pie - Good old American bureaucracy is my guess.

Yeah, can't ship anything to MD either. Only reason I'm getting them is I'll be in the UK anyway so I'll bring them back with me.

In a word... absolutely! The flavors of a really fresh cup are a quantum leap above anything available in a store. When properly roasted, all of the subtle flavors of the particular region, growing and processing methods, and even the growing season are highlighted.... go to Sweet Maria's and read some of the descriptions... they really do taste like "chocolate covered berries with hints of jasmine and Earl Grey tea" it's amazing. I don't recall the exact number, but there's something like 5X the natural flavor compounds (mostly esters) occurring in coffee as compared to wine... and you might know how wine flavor profiles go!?! Said flavors start to diminish immediately, so by the time it works it's way thru the supply chain, most store bought coffee tastes totally flat. By comparison, home roasted coffee is as fresh as last night, or 10 min ago! PM your address if you're CONUS and I will send you some, but fair warning: there's no going back! Soon you will be hot-wiring popcorn poppers and raving about that last perfect roast....

I'm with you and off topic with you as well.
Am so glad that austria and Specially Vienna has a coffee culture beyond many countries in the World. Baristas give new Input constantly, and im lucky to work a jump away from a small roastery that does magic with beans. None of the stuff they sell in sealed bags got roasted longer than 14 days. grinding myself and off thru my Brikka...that Really can make a difference.
Try: Wiener Rösthaus if you ever hit Austria.
Cheers
Weasy

Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey. Barrel proof, 64.3% ABV. Probably 2011 bottling based on the alcohol content. This bottle's almost empty. I bought it many years ago when it was maybe $60 a bottle. The prices I've seen online ($700+) seem to suffer from the same insanity as Van Winkle. I think $60 a bottle was about right. It's good; maybe very good, even; but I would never buy it at current prices. I could get a whole case of Laphroaig for that.

I have another bottle just like it, except unopened. I obviously don't value this as much as some others do. Is there an eBay for booze?

ETA: And because this post is useless without pics:

pyPVT4y.jpg

Should have found a lighter background for the Kris-P-Bacon.
But it's done. Alea iacta est, and all that.

Last edited:
Too bad we can't directly buy that Amazon Scotch. :( I'm in no way surprised though! :rolleyes: Can you imagine if Amazon sold alcohol??? :eek: :cool:

Anyone had this one - Balcones Texas Single Malt? How about Westland Sherrywood single malt?
With the expected tariffs to hit Scottish single malts, thought I'd do some American experiencing. I had a tasting with a neighbor today and tried Woodford Reserve single malt. I happened to buy their rye a few days ago as I've been dipping into rye's. I have to say, I like the rye better than the malt. The thing with their malt is, it tasted very young which by Scotch standards probably is, had that fresh grains, grassy type vibe.
So curious if anyone's had these 2 American malts.

So today I took along the WR Rye, Abelour Abunadh and Ardbeg Corryvreckan - Cracked open the 3rd bottle of the Abelour, guess I like it a lot :D ~ and I wanted to see their faces when that Ardbeg hit their sense. Lot of funny faces, but these are bourbon adventurers and not into the smoke. My buddy ended up searching in the Corry and ended up really liking it tons more than Ardbeg10 buy a mile. Someone else spit it out and refreshed with a bloody mary LOLOLO!! ` I warned em, not a beginners scotch.

Last edited:
Thomas H Handy Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey. Barrel proof, 64.3% ABV. Probably 2011 bottling based on the alcohol content. This bottle's almost empty. I bought it many years ago when it was maybe $60 a bottle. The prices I've seen online ($700+) seem to suffer from the same insanity as Van Winkle. I think $60 a bottle was about right. It's good; maybe very good, even; but I would never buy it at current prices. I could get a whole case of Laphroaig for that.

I have another bottle just like it, except unopened. I obviously don't value this as much as some others do. Is there an eBay for booze?

ETA: And because this post is useless without pics:

Should have found a lighter background for the Kris-P-Bacon.
But it's done. Alea iacta est, and all that.

You wanna trade for some scotch:D

Back