Buying a new Endura: PE, CE, or SE?

I'm buying a new Endura and I'm a bit on the fence of what sort of edge I should get. I've only really owned PE knives, but I hear Spyderco does it right. Would you recommend the SE Endura for a spot in my EDC rotation? Is the CE any good, or the worst of both worlds? Or should I just get the FFG and hope I don't slice my finger off?

IMO, a CE is useless. Not enough of the PE or SE to be effective.

SE if you're going to fo a lot of coarse cutting, like carboard, rope carpet.

PE is the most useful, especially for EDC.

I'd get the plain edge in an Endura and a Pacific Salt for a serrated edge.

I'd skip the combo edge.

I love my serrated Endura. I've got a combo edge Delica and I wish that was fully serrated. If you don't have a fully serrated knife the Endura is hard to beat. I wish the serrated version was available with an orange handle.

Like it was said in an earlier reply, if you are cutting a lot of rope, cord or any fibrous material, the serrated edge is the way to go. I have carried a Police, Rookie or Native with a serrated edge for over 30 years. Give one a try.

PE why.

Because when your serrations need resharpening
again and again.

Pretty soon all you have are nubs.

And you have to buy a new knife.

Combos. Maybe.
But a Sharp FFG blade is perfect.

Buy a ZDP in PE and be happy.

Normally I'd say no to CE's. However, when you start pushing 4" I think you end up with enough of each edge type. A CE Mili is actually pretty sweet. In an Endura sized knife I would not go fully started. Why? Because if I want full serrations, I'm going H1. So a PAC Salt is in order. I'd go plain edge or try out the CE and see how it suits you.

I have a fully serrated Endura and I would not trade it for a plain edge ever. That said my plain edge Spyderco's are a GB, Para 2, and a Millie, so it is not as though I am without.

Depends. I am a knife guy and I frequently sharpen my knives, so I edc the ffg endura. My wife is not a knife person, and she abuses the he'll out of her tools. The SE endura is perfect for her.

+1
Exactly my thoughts. And I'm with shunsui and Nccole, serrated H1 is the way to go serrated.

The problem being when you unexpectedly come upon the need to cut something like carpet, rope, rubber hoses, plastic, etc., while only carrying a plain edge knife as an EDC. Oh, the PE will work but serrations make such work a whole lot faster and easier with less chance of messing up your razor sharp plain edge.

I carried a fully serrated Endura for +/- 10 years. By the time I retired it, the serrations were worn down to just a wavy edge but they still cut well enough for any job I came across. While I would prefer a plain edge to a serrated edge these days, I own several combo edge knives and have been daily carrying a CE for the past few months. The partial serrations have proven to be highly useful on several occasions. I wouldn't underestimate their usefulness.

There ain't no doubt a full plain edge would be preferable most of the time and a fully serrated edge would be more efficient at those times coarse cutting is required but having a combination edge knife is a compromise over carrying two knives.

PE why.

Because when your serrations need resharpening
again and again.

Pretty soon all you have are nubs.

And you have to buy a new knife.

Combos. Maybe.
But a Sharp FFG blade is perfect.

Buy a ZDP in PE and be happy.

This has not been my experience. I have a three year old Pacific Salt that gets used 7 days a week. It has been sharpened about twice a week since I received it which means probably a couple hundred sharpenings or more. I have never had to reprofile the serrations and have just micro beveled with the Sharpmaker. The serrations (and their points) are still in very good shape and all of them will still pushcut phonebook paper after sharpening. I guess they will wear down eventually but it will take me a couple of decades at this rate and I would guess that this knife gets an "above average" amount of use and sharpening.

ETA: And to the OP's question, I would probably suggest a PE Endura and a SE Pacific Salt. I am fine with combo edges but don't really care for the 50/50 CE of the Endura.

H1 in SE is Spyderco's best cutter and holds a working edge longest, bar none.

H1 is also a very tough steel and easy to sharpen. Works very well with serrations. Its also a great excuse to get a completely rustproof and lightweight Salt!! :D

For me its hard to go past the PE ZDP 189. You can get it super sharp, it holds its edge very well and can cut through just about anything. The only down side is that it takes a bit of time to sharpen but its not a problem worth worrying about.

It all depends on your cutting needs, but if you haven't tried a fully serrated Endura, I'd say give one a try. I think you'll be blown away with how well it chews through everything in its path.

My FFG endura in VG 10 is great. The endura slices awesome with its thin blade that is larger than advertised.

Back