Off Topic by special request: Snarkalicious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was stationed at Ft Hood I would ride my motorcycle around Texas when I could. One day I ended up at some park on the way to Waco. I was going to see the race boats on the Brazos. The park was named Iron Bridge park. It had a creek running under it maybe a foot or two deep. I remember there was a giant measuring stick on the side of the bridge. I think it went up to 25 feet!!!!! Thats why the bridge looked like it could handle a bombing raid from thd 8th Airforce.Crazy!!!!

The area in Texas to the west of IH35 from Hillsborough (where IH35E and IH35W merged) all the way down to San Antonio skirts the boundary between the Blackland Prairie area and the Edwards Escarpment aka the "Broken Hills". When we get a tropical storm (they've been known to show up in all 12 months) come in and squat over an area like Harvey is doing, we get huge amounts of rain and the creeks and gullies fill up rapidly, running fast and deep.

Back in 1921, over September 09/10 Williamson County had a hurricane eye come in and settle in, very much like what Harvey is doing now.

Thrall Tx had 23.4 inches of rain in 6 hours, 31.8" in 12 hours, 36.4" in 18 hours and either 38.2" or 39.7":eek: (depending on whose book you read:confused:) in 24 hours.

Seven miles west of Thrall, Taylor, the town I grew up in, had 34+" and Granger, 11 miles north of Taylor had 30"+ during the same 24 hour period. The San Gabriel River, which bisects Williamson from east to west between Taylor and Granger, usually ran about 2 or 3 feet deep that time of year back then. No one knows how deep it was at the river because no one could get to it to see. :D Usually running about 10 to 15 feet wide, the river was later determined to have been running over 5 miles wide.

My grandmother was 13 at the time. She told us that they had over a foot of water running through the yard heading to the creek nearly 1/4 mile away. The house was 8 miles north of Granger, about 20 miles from Thrall.

That means drawing a 20 mile radius around Thrall, if the whole area was covered by only a single foot of water, there would have been nearly 3.6 BILLION gallons of water sitting in just that small area alone as a static snapshot.

Hurricanes can drop a huge amount of water in a short time.

The rain was late starting and hasn't been too bad. The official DunkEm rain gauge (I put a dinner glass out in the yard) first reading comes in at about 1 1/8" since the rain got underway about dinner time. Only another 24-29" to go between now and Wednesday to hit the forecast!

Good luck down there and try to stay dry. I've had differing reports as to what to expect up here. One station was predicting hurricane force winds all the way to Austin and another station was saying max winds around 45 mph. So who knows what we will get.

Be safe up there yourself. The paths on this thing are just ridiculous in their variability.

The area in Texas to the west of IH35 from Hillsborough (where IH35E and IH35W merged) all the way down to San Antonio skirts the boundary between the Blackland Prairie area and the Edwards Escarpment aka the "Broken Hills". When we get a tropical storm (they've been known to show up in all 12 months) come in and squat over an area like Harvey is doing, we get huge amounts of rain and the creeks and gullies fill up rapidly, running fast and deep.

Back in 1921, over September 09/10 Williamson County had a hurricane eye come in and settle in, very much like what Harvey is doing now.

Thrall Tx had 23.4 inches of rain in 6 hours, 31.8" in 12 hours, 36.4" in 18 hours and either 38.2" or 39.7":eek: (depending on whose book you read:confused:) in 24 hours.

Seven miles west of Thrall, Taylor, the town I grew up in, had 34+" and Granger, 11 miles north of Taylor had 30"+ during the same 24 hour period. The San Gabriel River, which bisects Williamson from east to west between Taylor and Granger, usually ran about 2 or 3 feet deep that time of year back then. No one knows how deep it was at the river because no one could get to it to see. :D Usually running about 10 to 15 feet wide, the river was later determined to have been running over 5 miles wide.

My grandmother was 13 at the time. She told us that they had over a foot of water running through the yard heading to the creek nearly 1/4 mile away. The house was 8 miles north of Granger, about 20 miles from Thrall.

That means drawing a 20 mile radius around Thrall, if the whole area was covered by only a single foot of water, there would have been nearly 3.6 BILLION gallons of water sitting in just that small area alone as a static snapshot.

Hurricanes can drop a huge amount of water in a short time.

Great Read zzy:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing it was very interesting

Rain filled the gauge/glass almost to the top last night. Picked up right at 4 1/4" overnight. Assuming it didn't overtop while I was sleeping, we're at 5 3/8". Yard is fully saturated with some ponding and more on the way.

Weatherman just reported that folks maybe 15 miles north west from me got up to 9.20" in the last 12 hours.

Last edited:
Rain filled the gauge/glass almost to the top last night. Picked up right at 4 1/4" overnight. Assuming it didn't overtop while I was sleeping, we're at 5 3/8". Yard is fully saturated with some ponding and more on the way.

Weatherman just reported that folks maybe 15 miles north west from me got up to 9.20" in the last 12 hours.

Goodluck DunkEm I wish I could offer more to you and yours. Keep us posted as long as you can.

Goodluck DunkEm I wish I could offer more to you and yours. Keep us posted as long as you can.
Thanks. I really don't anticipate any big problems at this point, just a lot of rain between now and Wednesday. I'm probably going to go drive around a bit and check things out. We're in between bands of rain right now.

DunkEm DunkEm zzyzzogeton zzyzzogeton Sitrep Sitrep you guys doing Ok?

Doing great. No new rain to report. We've been between rain bands for a few hours. We did go for a walk earlier and saw where rain was washing under some pavement and pushing it up about a block from our house.

As a bonus, the oldest son made a nice rack of ribs to snack on.

Thanks for asking.

Let's hear it, Zzy.

It's been a fun day so far. :D

sabhVUO.jpg

yk69zh6.jpg

320xluw.jpg

lSEviKv.jpg

That must suck Jonny...

Well, when it rains it pours. Got word a while ago that my MIL's 19 month battle with brain cancer has come to an end. She had been on hospice for just over a year. Grateful that she's at peace. Deeply sad for our loss. Smoke and prayers appreciated.

Well, when it rains it pours. Got word a while ago that my MIL's 19 month battle with brain cancer has come to an end. She had been on hospice for just over a year. Grateful that she's at peace. Deeply sad for our loss. Smoke and prayers appreciated.
Sorry to hear that man, but as you say, she's at peace now. Prayers headed your way my friend.

I have nelt down and sent a Prayer. Her pain and suffering is over. And life ever after has begun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back