Bye Bye Pocket Clips!

yyFKM3i2XuWLuzhq7

I have found that I really do not use my pocket clips and have been tossing my folders in my pocket for years. Recently, I have started removing the clips , putting them in a zip log bag where they will likely remain as I do not miss them a bit. My knives without the clips are far more comfortable. Anyone else here remove their pocket clips?

Last edited:
I have found that I really do not use my pocket clips and have been tossing my folders in my pocket for years. Recently, I have started removing the clips , putting them in a zip log bag where they will likely remain as I do not miss them a bit. My knives without the clips are far more comfortable. Anyone else here remove their pocket clips?

I'm the opposite. Started out just throwing them in my pocket, but they were smaller knives with ~2-2 1/2" blades. As I switched to larger ones, didn't like how they felt sitting horizontal across the bottom of my pocket, and was getting noticeable wear on the outside of my pants and jeans because of it. So switched to using the clip and haven't looked back.

I only use pocket clips when I wear shorts or sweat pants. Otherwise, I carry fixed blades and slip joint knives. I actually like having a knife in the bottom of my pocket. It's a very familiar feeling and kind of reassuring.

For me, there's a line. If the blade is less than 3", I tend to prefer it without a clip. (unless it's a thick SAK or multi-tool)

3", I could go either way.

Longer than a 3" blade and I prefer the clip to keep it vertical. Like jlauffer, longer folding knives in the pocket feel strange; they sit tangentially across my leg and mark my pants.

I'm the opposite. Started out just throwing them in my pocket, but they were smaller knives with ~2-2 1/2" blades. As I switched to larger ones, didn't like how they felt sitting horizontal across the bottom of my pocket, and was getting noticeable wear on the outside of my pants and jeans because of it. So switched to using the clip and haven't looked back.

For me, there's a line. If the blade is less than 3", I tend to prefer it without a clip. (unless it's a thick SAK or multi-tool)

3", I could go either way.

Longer than a 3" blade and I prefer the clip to keep it vertical. Like jlauffer, longer folding knives in the pocket feel strange; they sit tangentially across my leg and mark my pants.

Same here. Cant stand when they lay horizontally in bottom of pocket

A clip can help to get a better grip with front flippers. Especially if they have smaller or slippery handles.
For other knives I always remove the clip right after unboxing. I have never carried a knife clipped to the pocket's edge and I don't think I will ever start. Tried it a few times and it felt uncomfortable and awkward.
I would keep the clip if it was a sculpted piece that fits the design of the the handle and at the same time is not poor taste like a skull or big logo, but it is rare in my usual budget ranges.

:) The only folding knives I ever carry without a clip are those that came without one .

My 2 large RangerGrip SAKs and the tiny keychain Cold Steel Micro Recon .

I'm OK without a clip on a keychain knife but really miss having a clip on those big SAKs . :(:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Only knife with a clip that I still own is my Mini-Grip, and the clip is in a Ziploc bag in my desk drawer. Enormous improvement for this knife.

I sometimes move the clip to left side carry - position, so when I use the knife it does not push against my palm. Also I use this configuration to carry the knife from a a short loop attached to belt or belt tab. The clip is pushed through the loop and the knife is suspended, hanging inside my pocket. This way I don't feel the weight of the knife at all and there is nothing showing of the knife. The loop could be anything to outsiders, keys, wallet safety cord etc.

I carry all of my folders loose in my pockets. I typically leave the clips on though as on most I need something else to help hold onto when openning as I have some mobility issues with my right hand

no clips. I detest them. I tried them, but they all developed hot spots when using the knife.
If too large for my pocket (EG: a standard Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT/6OT at 5 inches closed, or a two blade slipjoint folding hunter at 5.5 inches closed) they go on my belt in the sheath they came with, or a like generic sheath.
4 5/8 inch closed and shorter go loose in my RFP. The only exception is a 4 blade scout/camp/utility/demo knife, which is (almost) always attached to a 32 inch lanyard, which in turn is attached to my belt.

After 60 years of having at least two knives riding horizontal in my right front pocket, I don't notice them. Also, unlike one carried vertically, they don't poke me in the thigh when carried horizontal.

no clips. I detest them. I tried them, but they all developed hot spots when using the knife.
If too large for my pocket (EG: a standard Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT/6OT at 5 inches closed, or a two blade slipjoint folding hunter at 5.5 inches closed) they go on my belt in the sheath they came with, or a like generic sheath.
4 5/8 inch closed and shorter go loose in my RFP. The only exception is a 4 blade scout/camp/utility/demo knife, which is (almost) always attached to a 32 inch lanyard, which in turn is attached to my belt.

After 60 years of having at least two knives riding horizontal in my right front pocket, I don't notice them. Also, unlike one carried vertically, they don't poke me in the thigh when carried horizontal.
“A 32” lanyard attached to your belt”, I am having trouble thinking of how you are doing this. Does the lanyard wrap around your belt repeatedly or does the bulk of it go into your pocket after the first wrap? I certainly can see the benefits in use, particularly in the field. Please let me know. Thank You

“A 32” lanyard attached to your belt”, I am having trouble thinking of how you are doing this. Does the lanyard wrap around your belt repeatedly or does the bulk of it go into your pocket after the first wrap? I certainly can see the benefits in use, particularly in the field. Please let me know. Thank You
The chain is attached to a Victorinox stainless steel belt loop (not an open on back clip that could come off).
most of the chain hangs in a "U" shape loop between the belt loop and RFP. Only 4 to 6 inches of the chain in in my pocket. To date, the only think it catches on is the height adjustment knob on my desk chair, and that only occasionally.

The chain is long enough, and/or my arm is short enough (I'm deformed) I don't have to take the knife off the lanyard when I use the knife. :)

View attachment 1442980

Last edited:
Back