"byrd" line of knives

i don't know whether i'll be buying a byrd anytime soon, being a diehard fan of the quality and design of official spydies, but i think it's a shrewd business move to offer a cheaper but usable line for those who aren't as hardline about their knives as me. kudos to sal & co for realizing and capitalizing on what should be a prolific market-these knives are well-placed to compete with "cheap" imports at reasonable prices. heck, i might pick one out some time just to try it out, though with the prices i usually find on spydies, i'll probably just try one when i see one and comment on it.

I have another idea, instead of a new line under a pseudonym. Why not make real Spyderco products in user or entry level materials, and charge accordingly? Like BM has done with the Pika? For crying out loud, even Emerson is doing an entry level line of lockbacks.

For instance, as the backbone of the product line and best sellers, why do the Delica, Endura, and Native have to get a fancy new steel and a new pricetag every other year? I use the KaBar Dozier and the BM Mini Pika as my example. There should be no reason why Spyderco could not make a Delica to compete with the Dozier. The Delica design cost has been fully depreciated years ago, so there's no R&D outlay. Why can't I buy a Delica in 440 steel for $20 like a Dozier or a Pika? User steels are just fine for me, I can't see paying twice the price for a super steel with an FRN handle, but Syderco has abandoned this end of the market.

Hi RH. It was my decision to use another name for the "cost effective alternative". It's not a pseudonym, it's another brand. Lexus, Toyota, Scion,or Acura & Honda, Cadilac & Chevrolet. Spyderco & byrd.

I decided against using the Spyderco name for the "lower cost" models. I think it would create confusion in the Spyderco customer.

With all of our major competitors making knives in China, we had to enter that market. Spyderco's are known for high quality and performance steels. Spyderco's lowest level steel is AUS-6 and even it's cryo'd. We'd rather keep Spyderco at the top of the performance level.

Also regarding R&D time. It is always there. We are always refining and improving. The Delica has been through 6 mold changes on the first mold, and several on the 2nd mold and we're working on the third mold now.

As to a $20 Delica with 440?

1) There is no 440 steel. There is 440A, B and C. with significant differences between them.

2) We'd rather sell you a $25 byrd, that will, IMO, out-perform the comparably priced competitor and keep the Delica, with its VG-10 supersteel at the higher cost with no confusion.

3) It will now permit us to upgrade the steel in our SS Delica to VG-10 as our entry level SS version of the byrd will service that need.

I do appreciate all of the comments that we're receiving on the byrd brand. both positive and negative. That's how we learn. The byrd's did receive a positive reaction at the SHOT show last week. We have a few more models in the works.

sal

Sal Glesser said:
It will now permit us to upgrade the steel in our SS Delica to VG-10 as our entry level SS version of the byrd will service that need.

Cool, I've been wanting one for a year. Put me on the list

Sal

I'm glad to hear about the upgrade of the blade steel in the SS Delica!

I hope the SS Endura will follow (hint, hint) :D

David

Sal, thanks for the reply. I think you know what I meant by 440. Yes, there are differences, but I was generalizing the 440 series (like the AUS series) as an entry level, quality working steel, as opposed to the premium steels, which I would say begin with the ATS series.

I still think you miss a big market segment of everyday working folks or folks who will only buy one knife, who want a lightweight, good to high quality folder, with a steel that will hold a decent edge yet is sharpenable on a cheap stone by a mere mortal. The Byrds are not light. A Delica, with the fit & finish and quality workmanship, but with a user grade steel, would fit the bill. Just my opinion, though, and you know what they say about those.

Hi RH, there will be light weight byrds. We're designing as fast as we can. We have two aluminum designs in the works and one FRN model in the works. Assuming response continues to be good, you'll see FRN versions of the Cara Cara, Meadowlark and Robin.

Hey Redhawk, Is the Chinese Dozier made by a company that is currently maintaining a reputation for "higher-line"? Or is the production version of the Dozier the "cost effective alternative" to the Dozier customs? (under a different manufacturers name ;) )

sal

This is the one Sal.
KBR_02_4065_LARGE.jpg

redhawk44p said:
This is the one Sal.
KBR_02_4065_LARGE.jpg

I think he was using a touch of sarcasm to illustrate a point.

Sal, I think you guys are doing the right thing not polluting the Spyderco name with "bargain" knives.

The Byrds are the Scions to your Toyota, the Geos to your Chevrolet.

Keep it up.

N2

Sal Glesser said:
... It will now permit us to upgrade the steel in our SS Delica to VG-10 as our entry level SS version of the byrd will service that need...
wha- wha- WHAT?! that's OUTstanding! i've been wishing for this for a while now. thanks Sal! now, as previously asked, will the Endura get the same upgrade? i'm on my knees here!

abe m.

I posted this in another thread, but with mention of the Dozier, it's become relevent.

To me, the Dozier is good enough that I no longer see the point in buying a higher priced FRN folder, the improvement of steels and etc. do not make it worth the extra $$. And if I was going to spend the extra $$ it makes sense to me to kick in yet a few more $ and get a G-10 folder or something else entirely.

Obviously this is a personal opinion but I think the Dozier could force an "extinction event" for the mid price category.

Hi Redhawk.

no prob on my end. I don't get easily "ticked".

I have never personally thought of Kabar as a very high-quality knife company. They make a good product in the medium range, IMO.

I've played with the folder you showed. I also sharpened it. I would not put that on the same level as a byrd in terms of performance, or quality, but that's just my opinion.

sal

I have total respect for Spyderco. I never intend any offense.
I will have to try a Byrd. I am very curious.

Hey Phil.. Do you have samples?

Hey Redhawk. I think the Cara Cara or Meadowlark will surprize you. The flight, Crossbill and Pelican aren't out for another month.

sal

I could see a *lot* of FRN Byrds flying off the shelves. Non-knife-people don't quite *get* a sixty dollar knife, but I'm guessing the FRN Byrds will be economical enough to give a lot of people a first taste of the difference between good-looking but under-engineered cheap knives, and real workhorses.

I have to say, the Spyderco brand really does command loyalty for a reason: it really comes across that you care about what you do, and I definitely take my hat off to you, Sal. Good engineering. On all levels :)

Sal Glesser said:
Hey Phil.. Do you have samples?

Hey Redhawk. I think the Cara Cara or Meadowlark will surprize you. The flight, Crossbill and Pelican aren't out for another month.

sal

Will the FRN Delica's have the same cutouts on the handle as the SS versions?

Back