"byrd" line of knives

I'll still buy Spydercos, when I can afford real ones, just like I will still buy real Benchmades and real Bucks. I don't like the fact that they are all having to out-source to overseas, but it isn't helping anyone if Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck, et al go the way of Schrade and the dodo (the bird, not the knife). So, let me register here as opposing the whole oursourcing thing, but supporting the company as a whole. I just appreciate Sal and Spyderco having the integrity to start a new specific brand name for their Chinese knives.

And why am I posting here again after a bit of a hiatus? Well, because I started searching for info on the Persian... which I just ordered and hope to receive in a couple more days. :D

For those of you interested, in about 1 week or 2, we should have a few model of the Byrd line for you to signup for in the passaround forum.

Just got the tracking info on the Meadowlark and Cara Cara I ordered. Looks like they are in the system now. Can't wait to see them.

Cut-N-Paste from the passaround thread:
----------------------------------------

I carried a Mariner and a Police quite a bit, I eventually stopped because of the weight. These knives have the same weight and pretty much the same feel as the regular SS handled spydercos. You can mount the clip tip up or clip down, though right hand only.

The F&F might just be a smidge less then a regular spyderco, blades are VERY SHARP though! The opening thing works pretty well. The opening action is just a little less smooth, I would expect them to "wear" in like other SS handled top locks.

All-in-all if you're in the market for a knife with SS handles, for only around $10 more the the FRN Kabar Dozier, it's gotta be a good value.

DaveH said:
The F&F might just be a smidge less then a regular spyderco, blades are VERY SHARP though! The opening thing works pretty well. The opening action is just a little less smooth, I would expect them to "wear" in like other SS handled top locks.
Got a Cara-Cara a couple weeks back, will definitely pick up a Meadowlark one of these days. If you're in the market for an all stainless knife and like 50/50 choils and grooved thumb ramps give these at least a bit of consideration.

My Meadowlarks and Cara Caras just arrived. Much nicer fit and finish than I expected from less than $18 knives. Open and close crisply with no blade play when locked open. Meadowlark is a nice utility/pocket size while Cara Cara is a bit heavy due to its length with all stainless construction. Overall very good value for the price.

I love Spyderco knives, but I won't be buying any of the Byrd knives. Price is not the issue. :rolleyes: :confused:

Dragon Man,that my thoughts too.I will not buy anything made in China if I can afford to buy the item made somewhere else.
Think about it China is still under communist rule.For years we could not buy anything made in Russia or Cuba for the same reason.

There are two major issues that are going on with China that will affect the world economy for a long time to come. 1. China wants to progress into a modern world power. Since they don't have any natural resources to speak of like Russia, etc., they are forced to buy everything they need to move forward. Their cheap labor and government subsidized overhead is their only true resource to generate the large amounts of cash needed to grow. 2. Since China is modernizing, the world (including the US) looks at China as the place to do business in the future. So many people with so many new wants and needs. Very little if anything can be done to stop this since this is a huge train with no brakes. The stance to boycott Chinese product is noble and one that I share but if you look around, it's too late. Most businesses in the US are in survival mode and have been for longer than most want to admit. Sal's admission of the origin of the Byrd line is a pre-emptive strike to try and foster some positive support for what is an outsource of product and a competitive move to survive with the other outsourcing companies. Business 101.

I just had a play with a mates new Byrd knife. I must say I was impressed. It was a solid little backlock with micarta handles. Aus6 steel and hollow ground. He paid about $20 US for it - I can't think of seeing better value in a knife.

Satrang-Sorry, but you clearly misunderstand China and its sccess to natural resources.
Sal-Having seen some of the Byrd line, you're right, they don't excite me much. However I understand your position and I think you are right. I wish you the best of luck with your new line and the learning experience that they will undoubtedly be..

They have no oil to speak of. No metal mining to speak of. The only thing they do have is coal and nuclear for electricity. If you check the news over the last few months they have had extreme fatalities at coal mines due to pushing the workers and mines past a safe level, all for getting enough coal to generate the large amounts of electricity they need for manufacturing. They are extremely short of resources within their borders.

Has anyone seen the new Byrds? There is a wharncliffe and a hawkbill among them. Chinese or not, they are beautiful pieces. I'm almost sorry those are not genuine spydies, with just a round hole in the blade :(

dialex said:
Has anyone seen the new Byrds? There is a wharncliffe and a hawkbill among them. Chinese or not, they are beautiful pieces. I'm almost sorry those are not genuine spydies, with just a round hole in the blade :(

Pics or links please.

Wow, what a great dicussion, not only on spydercos but knifemaking here in the U.S. vrs overseas. And if you think of it,we are discussing not only knives but our American manufacturing economy.
Regardless if we like it or not, We do not produce, create, manufacture, design, sell, what we use to 50 years ago. People in other countries work for less money then what we do here in the U.S. The other countries are now experiencing their economic revolution.
Our time is done. Unless, we can figure what what we can competively produce and sell on a worldwide scale, I think we are going to be in a "world of trouble"

Now on knives, I own lots, all different brands. Some I bought just to see what they were like, some I would never use cause they were "nasty"
I'll talk about two China knives I bought.
I bought 2 Rough Rider knives made in China. One was a trapper the other a bone handle doctors knife.
I gotta tell ya I am impressed with them.
Both have good fit and finish. They both have "snap, walk and talk". Both sharpen well, I can "pop hair " with them no problem. Twenty strokes on my sharpmaker and they are sharpen.
They dont stay as sharp as long as some of my other knives but I figure they are 440 something and for the price and what I use them for they work.
I am in a office setting and they dont see hard use. Opening envelopes, cutting open boxes, and cutting my sandwiches, thats the gist of my normal knife use.
They are "sheeple" friendly, my customers eyebrows dont get 20 sizes larger when I open them up to cut a envelope.
Oh the price I paid for them, one was 8 dollars the other was 5 dollars.
Did I get "value" for my dollar. I think I did.
My point is that high quality, will soon be comming out of China, and at a labor cost well less then here in America.

OK let me talk about my best bud. Can he destroy a knife. He is a old farm boy. His knives go inside carburators, cut wire, turn screws, cut boxes, scrape gaskets etc. You get my drift.
He likes stockmans. I have reprofiled his Uncle Henry 2 times already. The tip keeps getting busted. He sees no sense in spending 50 bucks for a knife. He is barely willing to spend 15 for one.
My point is that a 50 or 100 dollar knife is not one that my bud would use. Not the way he uses them.
He is better to spend 15 or 20 bucks, use the knife up in a year and buy another one.
And by the way, I think he is going to get a Rough Rider like mine, for his next knife. He likes it.

Now there are us "knife nuts" who will spend the bucks for a name brand quality knife, but you know there really are not that many of us.
I think "IMHO" the majority of the population dont even know the differance.To them a knife is knife and cheaper is better
How many people do you guys know who have bought Frost knives ?
AND swear by them and how good a deal they got.
For every quality knife sold, I am willing to bet 20 cheap ones are sold.

Last point, Any company, Sals included, has to seek the lowest manufactuing cost, and stay competive in order to stay in business.
If China starts to produce cheap somewhat good quality knives,( and I think they are headed in that direction) how does Sal stay in business ? How does any U.S. knife company stay in business ???

Its good business, good foresite to get some kind of relationship going now. Line up good cutters, grinders, etc Train the help so to speak.
Who knows, in 20 years maybe all Spydercos might be made in China.

I am sorry for the length of this thread. Didnt mean it to go so long.
But the short end of the story is other countries are beating us at what use to be our game.

Good knife hunting
Jack

shabbasuraj said:
Pics or links please.
attachment.php

Back