C12BN - Matriarch Flat Ground Brown FRN

The female leader of a herd of elephants is called a Matriarch. The Spyderco Matriarch came about in the 1990s after a South African distributor requested a lightweight folder similar to the Spyderco Civilian.

He wanted the attributes of the Civilian with its tremendous cutting effort but in a smaller size and thicker at the tip of the blade for general use. We made him the Matriarch which eventually was discontinued but is being revived for a limited time during the summer of 2010 as a Sprint Run.

He wanted the attributes of the Civilian with its tremendous cutting effort but in a smaller size and thicker at the tip of the blade for general use. We made him the Matriarch

So is this statement saying it can be used for general use without voiding the warranty?

New Graham has both versions in stock now. Seems like the serrated ones are selling faster. I was thinking the plain edge would be more popular.

i bought a plain edge, but i couldn't help myself and picked up the SE just now too. you've always got the heads up, Bimmer. Thanks!

i bought a plain edge, but i couldn't help myself and picked up the SE just now too. you've always got the heads up, Bimmer. Thanks!

I have too much time on my hands!:D Actually I work 84 hours in one week (at night) then have the next week off. I check certain knife sites a few times every day to see what they have new and "in stock". Sometimes it pays to keep watching and looking for the latest blades. New Graham had several Paramilitary 2's today and now they are all gone!

I have too much time on my hands!:D Actually I work 84 hours in one week (at night) then have the next week off. I check certain knife sites a few times every day to see what they have new and "in stock". Sometimes it pays to keep watching and looking for the latest blades. New Graham had several Paramilitary 2's today and now they are all gone!

Im grateful man. Thanks to you i've scored a mini cqc-15 and this matriarch. Your service is appreciated!

So is this statement saying it can be used for general use without voiding the warranty?

Seems like it.:)
Also means I could carry one in Canada without the cops deeming it a weapon (Civilian is considered a weapon since, well, it's designed as one AND ships with notice that it is ONLY to be used as a weapon:().

i just got mine in today and i can't say i see myself using it for general use. that tip is a lot thinner than i thought.

The Civilian and Matriarch come with a warning tag that reads "NOTICE! This knife was NOT designed to be used as a utility knife. Its unique design will not support everyday use and our warranty will not cover the results of using it as a utility knife."

The female leader of a herd of elephants is called a Matriarch. The Spyderco Matriarch came about in the 1990s after a South African distributor requested a lightweight folder similar to the Spyderco Civilian.

He wanted the attributes of the Civilian with its tremendous cutting effort but in a smaller size and thicker at the tip of the blade for general use. We made him the Matriarch which eventually was discontinued but is being revived for a limited time during the summer of 2010 as a Sprint Run.
Seems like it.:)
Also means I could carry one in Canada without the cops deeming it a weapon (Civilian is considered a weapon since, well, it's designed as one AND ships with notice that it is ONLY to be used as a weapon:().
Guess it depends on several things. Don't have mine yet, so can't say for sure whether, like the older ones and Civilians, they come with the tag tied through the Spyderhole that Planterz mentioned. But, in either case, it would depend on whether a broken tip on one of them was considered any less "abuse or carelessness" than it would be for any other model since up until now, AFAIK, Spyderco has never considered it a warranty issue on any knife.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

I put my order in for a SE version yesterday. I'm normally not a big fan of SE, but on the Matriarch and Civilian, it's pretty much mandatory, IMHO. Those two models were specifically designed as weapons- to rip through clothing and soft flesh, and are optimized for that task. It's not like Spyderco has a shortage of models designed for general utility. If you want a utility knife, get a Delica or an Endura, not a Matriarch. They'll work much better.

The Matriarch is for unzipping stomachs, severing arteries and slashing throats. And slicing air, of course, which is all I plan on using mine for.

Guess it depends on several things. Don't have mine yet, so can't say for sure whether, like the older ones and Civilians, they come with the tag tied through the Spyderhole that Planterz mentioned. But, in either case, it would depend on whether a broken tip on one of them was considered any less "abuse or carelessness" than it would be for any other model since up until now, AFAIK, Spyderco has never considered it a warranty issue on any knife.

Paul

i didn't get one of those tags with mine. just the letter about the origins of the matriarch.

GOt mine today, no warning tag. I thought the lack of liners was gonna bug me but it doesn't, the knife is super light but doesn't feel flimsy. Even in brown it is not sheeple friendly, way to much wickedly curved and finely flat ground vg10 for that. ITs cool and I am glad to finally own a matriarch.
I got a plain edge bassed mostly on a conversation with Michael Janich at the bladeshow. He says based on his meat cutting tests that the plain edge works better then the serrated edge in a defensive/comabtive role. NOrmally I have been an SE guy but I thought I would try something different, which isn't to say I won't end up getting an SE at too.

i didn't get one of those tags with mine. just the letter about the origins of the matriarch.
So that would just leave the more important question of whether the Matriarch would be an exception to Spyderco's normal policy of considering a broken tip on any of their knives "abuse or carelessness" unless there is an obvious defect, like an internal void.

As for stabman's theory regarding legality in Canada. If Canadian police have any Google-fu at all, it's pretty easy to find statements from Sal Glesser explaining the purpose for which the Matriarch was originally created.

Sal Glesser on the Spyderco Factory Forum on 10/10/2000 said:
The Matriarch was originally produced for So Africa as an exclusive. We are concerned about selling them in the USA so we restrict them (at this time) to Law enforcement professionals (or their friends).

Spyderco doesn't promote either to the general public (only in our dealer catalog).

Neither model is good for general use, (regardless of the opinions of others). The tips are too fine. We are also of the opinon that these models are only effective when sharp (which means no general use).

I've already had one ELU send me an email complaining about the quality of our products because he purchased a Matriarch somewhere, has been using is for general construction use and damaged the tip.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Kiwimania ---- Spydiewiki
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twisted up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

How many Matriarchs should be made?
If you're talking about the new brown ones, based on a post by Kristi there should be about 600 each in PE and SE.

Paul
bar_02.gif

As for stabman's theory regarding legality in Canada. If Canadian police have any Google-fu at all, it's pretty easy to find statements from Sal Glesser explaining the purpose for which the Matriarch was originally created.

However, the newest statement includes utility use an intended usage.
At least now an argument (backed up by the current company explanation of purpose) can be made.:)

No warning with mine either. The tip appears adequate for most intended tasks, though I think I would avoid prying anything with it.

Of course .......being a limited run. If the tip breakage is covered under warranty.....how will they have enough replacement folders made to send back to owners who break the tips?

Back