Call for Charpy toughness samples

Is there any way to get hold of any 0170-6 or would your only option be destroying a bunch of Beckers and Kabars to get your samples? :D

Here’s the combined list of what is done so far. I’ve sent it to Larrin to fill in the charpy values. I’m going to upload another chart with what is upcoming too. Probably tomorrow on that one.

906285C2-F622-482C-97C1-F9803E9CA8A6 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr

It appears batch 1 is missing. That’s it! I’m firing my assistant (my wife.) I’ll update later when she gets it added, and try to get a higher resolution image too.

Preheating is to help in reducing warping and cracking. It isn’t required. I think I wrote about it in austenitizing part 3.

Sure just let me know what parameters you’d like.

Do you want to heat treat them, or send steel to me to heat treat? If you make samples, you need three pieces of 10mmx55mmx2.5mm final thickness for each condition.

If no one else has offered, I can send in some S30V and Elmax. I didn't see it on Willie71 Willie71 's list.

I don't have a surface grinder or mill. I can get close, but someone might have to do the final touchup.

Last edited:
Only one condition of Elmax has been tested, but the hardness was reading low. S30V would be a good one as well.

I might be able to get some locally.

Edit. I just checked. Nope. No 5160.

Warren

Hello, Warren, it would be really interesting if you could get locally some old semi truck leaf springs. I heard people saying that it might have micro cracks, but there’s very talented makers using them in hard use knives and never heard about one failing in use!

Last edited:
Larrin Larrin is it OK to file a small notch in on one end to help keep track of the samples?

Only one condition of Elmax has been tested, but the hardness was reading low. S30V would be a good one as well.

I did several conditions for elmax yesterday. 1975f and 2050f. One high temper sample, the rest low temper.

I don’t have any s30v or S35VN. Michael Drinkwine told me he will do S35VN in his next batch. I’ll try to get the list of what’s coming up posted soon. I have some work for my real job to do this afternoon, but might get to it tonight, or if not, tomorrow for sure. People can look at the pics of the steel chuck sent too.

Warren

Adding S30V to go with the samples that Michael does with S35VN would be perfect.

Back