Call for Charpy toughness samples

True. I am wondering how much more abrasion resistant CFV is at say 61-62 compared to the 52100? As I mentioned before, a number of years back, I asked Keven Cashen what simple and readily available steels he would use say for a mid tech line. he said O1 for blades under 5 inches and 52100 for the larger ones. The difference was O1 was more abrasion resistant and 52100 was tougher. So does CFV split the difference as best as you can expect? I ask because I still have a couple of hundred pounds of he stuff. Enough for say well over 300 bushcraft/hunter type knives. :D
Don't forget that 3V has almost triple vanadium content of Z-Tuff which can play significant role in edge holding.
So, my next question becomes, for a Canadian hunter in the winter, are you better off with 3v at Rc58, or z-tuff at Rc61? I’m leaning toward z-tuff.

I thought L6 would have matched or beat 8670.

Standouts for me through this are how good aeb-l is, how PM technology results in the balance of toughness/wear resistance in the z-wear/V4e group, and how tough 8670 is. Based on my experience with z-wear, I knew z-tuff would be very tough, but that tough at that hardness is impressive.

So, my next question becomes, for a Canadian hunter in the winter, are you better off with 3v at Rc58, or z-tuff at Rc61? I’m leaning toward z-tuff.

I thought L6 would have matched or beat 8670.

Standouts for me through this are how good aeb-l is, how PM technology results in the balance of toughness/wear resistance in the z-wear/V4e group, and how tough 8670 is. Based on my experience with z-wear, I knew z-tuff would be very tough, but that tough at that hardness is impressive.

I would go with Z-Tuff at 61hrc, but cpm3v is not so bad as I thought it would regarding toughness.

True. I am wondering how much more abrasion resistant CFV is at say 61-62 compared to the 52100? As I mentioned before, a number of years back, I asked Keven Cashen what simple and readily available steels he would use say for a mid tech line. he said O1 for blades under 5 inches and 52100 for the larger ones. The difference was O1 was more abrasion resistant and 52100 was tougher. So does CFV split the difference as best as you can expect? I ask because I still have a couple of hundred pounds of he stuff. Enough for say well over 300 bushcraft/hunter type knives. :D

I would suspect CFV to be more wear resistant than 52100. It has that vanadium to form carbides with.

That's such a nice work you have done guys! Interesting to have finally all those info on steel performance.
I'm running 6150 lately on few of my blades and I have noticed a similar, maybe a tad better, results than INFI.
I have chopped structural steel with them, and got no visible damage.
On construction screws they both rolled in a likely way.
Would be nice to have it tested.

That's such a nice work you have done guys! Interesting to have finally all those info on steel performance.
I'm running 6150 lately on few of my blades and I have noticed a similar, maybe a tad better, results than INFI.

Send some coupons to Larrin, please! I think he doesn’t have 6150 steel yet and it is supposed to be even tougher than 5160!

I would love to, but I'm not the maker, just helped with the design of the blades.
I know 6150 can also be found in the US, hope someone overseas can send few samples.

I would love to, but I'm not the maker, just helped with the design of the blades.
I know 6150 can also be found in the US, hope someone overseas can send few samples.

Are you based in Europe? Me too, Portugal. The only makers from this side of the Atlantic I recall using 6150 are Bladetricks (Israel) and Giedymin (Poland), who uses 6150 Polish version, 50HF. Sorry, there’s more Polish makers who use 50HF (and 50HS). Who I’m I missing? Who’s the maker you work with, if we may know?:)

Just a quick update on my end. I have a whole bunch of samples cut out. I have new bandsaw blade(s) for the next steels. I had a cortisone injection in my knee, and have been told to stay off my feet until Friday evening. I’m bored out of my mind. I have a ton of things to do, and even cancelled appointments for my real job. I will get a bunch of heat treating done over the weekend. I will re-do the 1084. I’m disappointed it didn’t harden at all.

Have you also tested Giedymins NZ3 (~S1) steel? Just curious how it compares to his 50HF (6150).

Have you also tested Giedymins NZ3 (~S1) steel? Just curious how it compares to his 50HF (6150).

Hey, nope, just 6150.
I have knives in infi, ztuff, zwear... and I'm really starting to loving it.
Don't know which one is tougher, but it feels like 6150 is up there with ztuff fighting for top spot.

Hey, nope, just 6150.
I have knives in infi, ztuff, zwear... and I'm really starting to loving it.
Don't know which one is tougher, but it feels like 6150 is up there with ztuff fighting for top spot.

I only have knives in NZ3(~S1) from Giedymin, no 6150 (yet), and it’s really tough stuff! I need to try that steel (spring steel used in really heavy stuff, tougher than 5160). I’m really happy that you rate Giedymin work so high, he surely deserves that honor. Let’s not forget that a knife is much more than the steel and he is very dedicated to his work, he not only makes knives, he uses his knives really hard!

That reminds me, I have A8mod from Chuck coming up. That will be another contender for top spot.

Finally saw the A8mod composition AKS has in stock. 0.5% carbon and lower Cr than usual (for A8mod) should make this an even tougher version of regular A8mod that I usually find around here (Usually 8.5-9%Cr). Have you already heat treated some A8mod coupons from them, Willie71 Willie71 ?

Finally saw the A8mod composition AKS has in stock. 0.5% carbon and lower Cr than usual (for A8mod) should make this an even tougher version of regular A8mod that I usually find around here (Usually 8.5-9%Cr). Have you already heat treated some A8mod coupons from them, Willie71 Willie71 ?

I have the coupons cut out, but not yet heat treated. I had unexpected company this past weekend, and didn’t get my heat treating done.

I have the coupons cut out, but not yet heat treated. I had unexpected company this past weekend, and didn’t get my heat treating done.

Ah, ok, Warren, take your time!
This material seems more like the original A8 steel, with an addiction of 0,40% of Vanadium (hence the A8mod designation) than the usual A8mod! You’re right, this thing sure is a great contender to the toughest steel of all! Can’t understand why so few people uses it (I’m talking about big blades).

Probably a dumb question, but have you asked AKS if their stuff is cut parallel to the rolling direction of the steel? I’m sure it is, Chuck probably already mentioned this before, but can’t find that information right now.:)

This material seems more like the original A8 steel, with an addiction of 0,40% of Vanadium (hence the A8mod designation) than the usual A8mod! You’re right, this thing sure is a great contender to the toughest steel of all! Can’t understand why so few people uses it (I’m talking about big blades).

Probably a dumb question, but have you asked AKS if their stuff is cut parallel to the rolling direction of the steel? I’m sure it is, Chuck probably already mentioned this before, but can’t find that information right now.:)
I’ve made a few big and small blades from this steel. Bought from chuck. Still trying to find time to dial in the heat treat. But what I’ve made so far has held up to whatever I could throw at it! It is very tough, but I don’t think it’ll beat ztuff.

It’s cut in the direction of rolling.

Back