Call for Charpy toughness samples

I have the OBM surface grinder. It is not perfect but can do the job if you are careful.

Probably much like my portable Rockwell tester. You have to be careful and use it correctly, or your results won’t be any good.

I agree surface grinding volunteers are still a bottleneck. I got my surface grinding attachment but it takes me about 3 hours to do 16-20 specimens. So I'm going to use it primarily for small batches that I want a quick turnaround time on.

Can’t wait for Ultrafort charpy test! Do you think this alloy (or any other Maraging steel) can make a good chopper (not a slicer)? On theory, it can reach 60hrc and has the toughness of 4340... what’s your opinion, Larrin?

No worries I just hadn't checked in a while.

Another month or so I'll be able to surface grind some samples for you guys!

Any chance you can sticky this Stacy? I appreciate it!

Hey people, this thread can't stay at page 13!! It breaks my hearth :D

Any update from new runs Larrin?

Hey people, this thread can't stay at page 13!! It breaks my hearth :D

Any update from new runs Larrin?
Hopefully you've read beyond page 13 since it goes to 53. :)
There have been slow and steady additions that are posted to the website but I haven't posted everything in this thread. I found a good machinist to do a giant batch of steel that came from Warren. I have two batches of samples I heat treated out with two people who have been slow but I think will eventually machine them. I believe there is another big set from Warren at Alpha Knife Supply. Once all of those sets are finished the majority of what we wanted tested will be complete. I have several different low-alloy tungsten steels that I will need to heat treat and machine myself probably and that's about it. Then in the future it will probably be smaller sets to look at individual steels or specific heat treatment parameters.

I was just wondering myself, if there were new samples tested. Thanks to all who have been donating time and materials for these tests.

I was just wondering myself, if there were new samples tested. Thanks to all who have been donating time and materials for these tests.

I haven’t heat treated anything more in the past few months. I will get started again once the grinding gets more sorted out. I have 1v, S7, nitro v, more 52100 conditions, S90v, more M4 conditions, 1085, 440c, 440b, and some 26c3 heat treat experiments.

I’m also going to do some 1080/15n20 Damascus pieces out of curiosity, with different layer counts to see if layer count affects toughness.

Surface grinding is definitely the limiting step at this point.

Great! I'll take a look on your website.

Thanks guys for your efforts!

PS: by page 13 I meant, that the thread felt down at it, in this section.

I haven’t heat treated anything more in the past few months. I will get started again once the grinding gets more sorted out. I have 1v, S7, nitro v, more 52100 conditions, S90v, more M4 conditions, 1085, 440c, 440b, and some 26c3 heat treat experiments.

I’m also going to do some 1080/15n20 Damascus pieces out of curiosity, with different layer counts to see if layer count affects toughness.

Hey, Warren, do you already have heat treated A8mod and S7 coupons? Can’t wait for the results on these two!

Nevermind about the good machinist I found. He said he can't do them.

Are Ultrafort, S7, S5, NZ3 (~S1), NZ4, K600, unimax, calmax, WP7V tested?
Where can I see the results?
Thank you very much.

Are Ultrafort, S7, S5, NZ3 (~S1), NZ4, K600, unimax, calmax, WP7V tested?
Where can I see the results?
Thank you very much.
They are not tested.

Larrin could you rank these by toughness?
Even without testing your steel knowledge is more than enough. ;)

Larrin could you rank these by toughness?
Even without testing your steel knowledge is more than enough. ;)
Bohler ranks their K600 as tougher than their S1, which they rate as being similar to their high V A8 Mod (WP7V), and both tougher than their low V A8 Mod (NZ4). Crucible rates their S5 as tougher than S7. Uddeholm rates their Unimax as tougher than Calmax, and both of those as tougher than their A8 Mod. Ultrafort is a completely different type of steel being maraging, the lack of carbon may give it an advantage I’m not sure. So just piece all of that together and there you go. Which one is the “toughest” may not really matter. Availability, potential hardness, and wear resistance may be better differentiators in that group.

Back