Call for Charpy toughness samples

You used to be able to get 9260 from Admiral. They sold it as 5160, but only in the round edged 1/4 by 1 inch bar stock. Uncle Al had some thick bar stock back in the day. It was 3/8 and 5/16 by 1.5 inches and IIRC one was 9620. Just can't remember which one. I have a ba of each but the white pen writing has worn off.
Ok so where can I order some 9260 or 6150 from? Also what size should I order?

Jason

Larrin Larrin Was the CruWear standard ingot Cruwear or CPM-CruWear? Doesn't say CPM-CruWear but just want to make sure. I would think the CPM version would be inline with Z-wear?

Standard CruWear. Otherwise I would label it CPM.

From what I understand, z-wear and cpm-cru wear are identical.

Everything about them looked identical to me between CPM-CruWear, Z-Wear and CTS-PD1. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything when I was looking at all the datasheets. Thanks.

Everything about them looked identical to me between CPM-CruWear, Z-Wear and CTS-PD1. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything when I was looking at all the datasheets. Thanks.
The only difference is I think 2 are second gen particle technology, and the other is first gen. So the second gen should be somewhat finer grain. But Larrins tests are showing there are no toughness differences, regardless of the claims made by Bohler and others.

Happy Independence Day everyone!
I wanted to step in here and let everyone know I'm still holding samples of 12 steels, in 43 conditions, generously processed by @Warren Krywko. I've had them for what seems like ages.
Between the birth of a grandson(he's ALL that!), the death of a dear friend, the sickness of my daughter(better now), receipt of a Reeder grinder as yet unassembled, an Evenheat KO18, and construction of a mini addition on my shop, I've let these samples fall to the back burner. I apologize to all who are as anxious for the results as I am.

The good news is I've been processing on them all morning, and have time allotted tomorrow and Saturday as well. Hopefully they will be finished and on the way to Larrin in a week or so. Here are the steels:

M4, 2 conditions.
M2, 4 conditions.
80CRV2, 6 conditions.
A-11, 8 conditions.
N690, 3 conditions.
3V, 3 conditions.
4V, 1 condition
ZWear, 1 condition.
ZTuff, 3 conditions.
8670, 6 conditions.
Elmax, 4 conditions.
4VE, 2 conditions.

As Hoss has said, Warren is s heat treating machine!

Last edited:
Very looking forward to 80crv2 ranks among them I have a good guess but excited to see same with 3v. Any word on s7?

Again thank you for all you guys do!

Reactions: vba
Super excited to see the results of this test.
Vanadis 8 has me super curious.
Any hardness readings on any of these samples? (All samples not just V8)
I have hardness estimates for most of them based on hardness coupons heat treated separately. Exact hardness will be measured after they are machined and broken.

Happy Independence Day everyone!
I wanted to step in here and let everyone know I'm still holding samples of 12 steels, in 43 conditions, generously processed by @Warren Krywko. I've had them for what seems like ages.
Between the birth of a grandson(he's ALL that!), the death of a dear friend, the sickness of my daughter(better now), receipt of a Reeder grinder as yet unassembled, an Evenheat KO18, and construction of a mini addition on my shop, I've let these samples fall to the back burner. I apologize to all who are as anxious for the results as I am.

The good news is I've been processing on them all morning, and have time allotted tomorrow and Saturday as well. Hopefully they will be finished and on the way to Larrin in a week or so. Here are the steels:

M4, 2 conditions.
M2, 4 conditions.
80CRV2, 6 conditions.
A-11, 8 conditions.
N690, 3 conditions.
3V, 3 conditions.
4V, 1 condition
ZWear, 1 condition.
ZTuff, 3 conditions.
8670, 6 conditions.
Elmax, 4 conditions.
4VE, 2 conditions.

As Hoss has said, Warren is s heat treating machine!
Sorry for the loss of your friend.
My condolences!

Back