1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Call for Charpy toughness samples

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Larrin, Jan 26, 2018.

1. rodriguez7

rodriguez7 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 1, 2009
    I’m interested in the A8 results. Were these done with low temper? I’m pretty sure busse uses a higher temper, somewhere around 900 degrees. I would like to see both results just for the heck of it. Also did you ever send a lower hardness ztuff sample to Larrin? I’m curious about a sample at 58-59 with low temper.

hugofeynman likes this.
  2. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    I will be doing high temper a8mod, and samples with the ramp that’s recommended too. Z-tuff lower hardness sample is in the batch coming up with s7 and 1v. I have to order some more z-tuff, as I’m making another knife out of my remaining supply. :rolleyes: I have enough for one, maybe two samples left.

3. hugofeynman

hugofeynman

Jan 18, 2011
    Any news from the gentleman who is grinding Ultrafort and NZ3, Warren?

A8mod, S7, 1V, NZ3, Ultrafort and 58/59hrc Ztuff are all contenders for the toughest steel good for knifemaking. Let the party begin!:D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    rodriguez7 likes this.
  4. Willie71

Willie71 Warren J. Krywko. Part Time Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 23, 2013
    Larrin contacted him about a month ago, I think. Not done yet.

hugofeynman likes this.
  5. hugofeynman

hugofeynman

Jan 18, 2011
    Let’s hope he can arrange some time to grind those specimens, for the good of science.

Willie71 likes this.