Call for Charpy toughness samples

I just sent these off to Chuck for grinding. I got stalled out on heat treating with the vehicle breakdowns, then killing bandsaw blades, and finally running out of LN. Everything is back in order now, and I’ll get back at it.

4C40E53F-CFB1-49B1-BFE9-7B108644AD01 by Wjkrywko, on Flickr
I’m interested in the A8 results. Were these done with low temper? I’m pretty sure busse uses a higher temper, somewhere around 900 degrees. I would like to see both results just for the heck of it. Also did you ever send a lower hardness ztuff sample to Larrin? I’m curious about a sample at 58-59 with low temper.

I’m interested in the A8 results. Were these done with low temper? I’m pretty sure busse uses a higher temper, somewhere around 900 degrees. I would like to see both results just for the heck of it. Also did you ever send a lower hardness ztuff sample to Larrin? I’m curious about a sample at 58-59 with low temper.

I will be doing high temper a8mod, and samples with the ramp that’s recommended too. Z-tuff lower hardness sample is in the batch coming up with s7 and 1v. I have to order some more z-tuff, as I’m making another knife out of my remaining supply. :rolleyes: I have enough for one, maybe two samples left.

I will be doing high temper a8mod, and samples with the ramp that’s recommended too. Z-tuff lower hardness sample is in the batch coming up with s7 and 1v. I have to order some more z-tuff, as I’m making another knife out of my remaining supply. :rolleyes: I have enough for one, maybe two samples left.

Any news from the gentleman who is grinding Ultrafort and NZ3, Warren?

A8mod, S7, 1V, NZ3, Ultrafort and 58/59hrc Ztuff are all contenders for the toughest steel good for knifemaking. Let the party begin!:D

Last edited:
Any news from the gentleman who is grinding Ultrafort and NZ3, Warren?

A8mod, S7, 1V, NZ3, Ultrafort and 58/59hrc Ztuff are all contenders for the toughest steel good for knifemaking. Let the party begin!:D

Larrin contacted him about a month ago, I think. Not done yet.

Hey people!
Any news? I have 2 custom blades in Ztuff incoming...with 2 diff hardness.
The curiosity is even higher now!

Cool guys.
Have you already sent the Ztuff with lower hardness?

I did a range, but we will probably not be lower than Rc59. Cryo seems to bump hardness up a couple points from the datasheets. I have another stick on the way to try lower hardness samples, along with 1V, and S7.

We have two sets of samples awaiting grinding that have been out for months. If life is just too busy, please send them back to me or Larrin, so we can arrange grinding of these samples.

I have another batch almost ready to send out, which includes a8mod, 440b, more M4, 1V, and s7.

Warren, you’re the man.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
My apologies. I did not mean to stir anything up. ALL volunteer participation is appreciated. I get it, life gets in the way sometimes. I meant no criticism towards anyone.

I did a range, but we will probably not be lower than Rc59. Cryo seems to bump hardness up a couple points from the datasheets. I have another stick on the way to try lower hardness samples, along with 1V, and S7.
I’ll be sending you a stick of ztuff when I get a chance. We’ll be aiming for 58 rc with this one. And I’m guessing it will smoke that higher hardness sample. Hopefully I’ll get it sent this next week sometime.

I added a test for Caldie and replaced the original Elmax value with a couple new tests that were done with Warren's samples.View attachment 1205810
View attachment 1205811

Interesting that Elmax is less tough than Vanax and S35VN. 10V is as tough as cast cru-wear. I think I have to try a kitchen knife in 10v. I love my cru-wear kitchen knife. Callie is pretty tough too.

Note to everyone: I haven’t spent too much time on samples recently. We are still waiting for grinding on many samples, so I haven’t prioritized samples lately.

I’m saving up for a surface grinder.

Last edited:
I agree surface grinding volunteers are still a bottleneck. I got my surface grinding attachment but it takes me about 3 hours to do 16-20 specimens. So I'm going to use it primarily for small batches that I want a quick turnaround time on.

I’m looking at the OBM surface grinder, but have had a lot of extra expenses lately. I’d like a stand alone grinder, but that isn’t in the budget right now.

https://originblademaker.com/product/belt-grinder-2x72-attachment/

I have the OBM surface grinder. It is not perfect but can do the job if you are careful.

Back