Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

Paul, is there anything concrete on when the tang stamp changed from NY USA to just USA?

Paul, is there anything concrete on when the tang stamp changed from NY USA to just USA?

Not that I know of.

I am fairly comfortable saying the NY stamp was used into the 80's because the '85 red bone old timers have it, as do the '83-86 heritage knives. Those knives are easy to date. :D

It may have been sporadically used into the 90's, or it could have already been sporadic in the 80's. Likely not a light switch change. That's the best I have been able to figure so far.

I like to seek out NY stamped knives because they are generally some of the better delrin schrades.

Last edited:
LwftUZA.jpg

This one came in the other day. At first glance it looks like the common Camillus 33, but I think this one is older and has the 4-line stamping. Long pull master with sharp grind lines and the bone is amazing. Except for a couple of pits near the tang, the condition is wonderful.

knives-1.jpg knives-2.jpg knives-3.jpg

Just found this USA 897UH NIB today. I've been looking for one for quite a while and was really pleased to find one in this condition. I sharpened it up, polished the bolsters, and I'll be carrying it tomorrow. I'm wondering if the design of the box might indicate anything about the date. I have an 885UH in the dark brown slip-top box with gold lettering that I originally bought for my father in (I think) the early 90s. This is a much less fancy box, obviously. (Sorry about the price sticker, I didn't want to damage the box by pulling it off.)

49461580231_d89b2e5f05_b.jpg

Back