Camillus and Schrade of Old Given Short Shrift Now-A-Days

The schrade 36ot saddleman is somewhat harder to find than many other old timers despite not being that old. They appeared in the catalogs from 1990-1993. It's the same frame as the 34ot and has the same clip and sheepsfoot but they spey was replaced with a punch. These are nice examples in factory like condition. The snap is good and firm on both knives, with no wobble and nice fit & finish. Note they also have well done sharpening choils.

IMG_6509.jpg IMG_6510.jpg

Last edited:
Nice 36ot's. I actually had mine in my pocket today as well. This one I think was and end of days knife, the main is stamped 33ot. I had Glenn put on some sawcut bone to take it to the next level.

15781795675788709158723362110899.jpg

The schrade 36ot saddleman is somewhat harder to find than many other old timers despite not being that old. They appeared in the catalogs from 1990-1993. It's the same frame as the 36ot and has the same clip and sheepsfoot but they spey was replaced with a punch. These are nice examples in factory like condition. The snap is good and firm on both knives, with no wobble and nice fit & finish. Note they also have well done sharpening choils.

View attachment 1259280 View attachment 1259281
My favorite blade combination! I didn't know about an Old Timer version. :cool::thumbsup:

The schrade 36ot saddleman is somewhat harder to find than many other old timers despite not being that old. They appeared in the catalogs from 1990-1993. It's the same frame as the 36ot and has the same clip and sheepsfoot but they spey was replaced with a punch. These are nice examples in factory like condition. The snap is good and firm on both knives, with no wobble and nice fit & finish. Note they also have well done sharpening choils.

View attachment 1259280 View attachment 1259281

Great examples! I searched them out for a while, and bid on some unsuccessfully ( I guess I was too cheap) and finally gave up and bought a new stainless less Chinese version. It confirmed the pattern is great but I did t like that gummy stainless they use now. That is pattern they should have made more of.

Nice 36ot's. I actually had mine in my pocket today as well. This one I think was and end of days knife, the main is stamped 33ot. I had Glenn put on some sawcut bone to take it to the next level.

15781795675788709158723362110899.jpg

It could have also been that a 33ot blade snuck in a 36ot. Being that they are the same blade it wouldn't be surprising. That's some nice bone, it does take it to the next level.

Thanks Steve and rishma!

This is a seemingly rare bird, as I'd never seen one before I found this one, and I had to do a bit of research to even discover what it actually was.
KUSyZvE.jpg

Only shown in the catalogs from 1958-'63, it is a no. 147 LWE, which stands for leather with Wonda Edge. I was unaware that Schrade made a serrated-edged hunter sixty years ago! This catalog cut is from the 1962 Schrade Walden catalog, showing the serrations. It added 10% to the price over the standard smooth edge.

147LWEcut.jpg

This is a seemingly rare bird, as I'd never seen one before I found this one, and I had to do a bit of research to even discover what it actually was.
KUSyZvE.jpg

Only shown in the catalogs from 1958-'63, it is a no. 147 LWE, which stands for leather with Wonda Edge. I was unaware that Schrade made a serrated-edged hunter sixty years ago! This catalog cut is from the 1962 Schrade Walden catalog, showing the serrations. It added 10% to the price over the standard smooth edge.

View attachment 1259939

Jeff, that’s really interesting for sure. You wonder why it never stuck around? I’m guessing lack of sales due to the difficulty trying to sharpen it, especially in the field. Let’s face it, back then most people probably only owned one belt knife and one pocket knife. Ease of sharpening would definitely make a difference on what you carried.

Serrations seem to be more popular with people who don't ever sharpen their knives. Though I'm speaking of the modern day, I don't know how it was back then.

Older serrated schrades are less common and good to collect. I remember once seeing a schrade walden trapper with a serrated spey but a plain clip, pretty interesting. Probably shoulda bought it.

Here's my 1989 Schrade USA SC505 scrimshaw stockman. I found this one at a trailhead sometime back in the early 90s. Actually, it was in the gravel parking area and no one was around so I couldn't find the owner. I've never carried it much, but I've been on a sharpening kick lately so I got it out to touch up the edges and wow does that Schrade carbon steel sharpen up nicely. I carried it in an open-top Case leather belt sheath yesterday on a birdwatching hike. The faint etching on the main blade shows a bull's head surrounded by the words "Champion's Choice."

49336389792_bca5401dc1_b.jpg

Here's a 4", Schrade Walden, single-spring, two-blade Stockman (as I like to call a knife with a clip and a spey)! Looks unused, with some blade rub! Slim!!:eek:
The angle of the scan exaggerates the blade rub.Stock single spring 1.jpg Stock single spring 2.jpgStock single spring 3.jpg
The etch image "bounces" on the scanner! It's actually quite clear!!

Last edited:
These two have no + on the blade. I know that's no guarantee it's carbon but the green one that I've had awhile sure looks and feels like carbon steel. These 5OT's are some of my favorite Schrades. The rest I have all have the + stamp indicating stainless.
chMQulZ.jpg

cG0oLuO.jpg

gwGVBe8.jpg

These two have no + on the blade. I know that's no guarantee it's carbon but the green one that I've had awhile sure looks and feels like carbon steel. These 5OT's are some of my favorite Schrades. The rest I have all have the + stamp indicating stainless.
chMQulZ.jpg

cG0oLuO.jpg

gwGVBe8.jpg

The early 5ot's were carbon. I have a green one like yours that is carbon.

Charlie, the 834 open stock was discontinued in 1983. Yours is a post walden so it's in the range of 1973-83.

The NY that's on the stamp was used into the 80's.

Back