Camillus vs. KaBar Beckers?!?

I got into Beckers when Camillus was the manufacturer. My first four Beckers were made by them. So far, I haven’t had any issues with either maker’s product. But I have not bought any KaBar models that are the same as my Camillus models.

So my question is for those of you that own the same model from BOTH manufactures, do you find any noticeable differences between them?

Since I have a BK-1, 7, 9, and 11 from Camillus, Im contemplating getting a copy of each, except the BK-1 obviously, from KaBar. Should I do it sooner rather than later for any reason?

Thanks!

The 11 is different: FFG and 1095. The Camillus version was saber grind, D2.

There are definitely differences - but then, there are differences between eras of KA-BAR made BK&T models - idk all of them, but older BK-7s were roll-stamped, newer ones laser etched - and the traction coating seems to have changed formulation a couple times....
Then, there are the models that pre-date even Camillus - I guess my point is, from 2 meters it'd be hard to discern any differences; in hand, same-same. The Camillus BK-2 is solid tang and is a fair bit heavier than my KB Campanion, but the older Grivory was a tad thicker and I had to swap it out - and both are just a little too much handful for me to use comfortably, out of the box. Steel underneath the coating on the Cam 2 appears smooth and...un-ground. It's flat, but it looks like it was heated and pressed flat, the edges ground, and done. My Camillus made blades seem to rust less easily, despite purportedly being made from the same steel. Honestly, I wouldn't see any rush in doubling up with the same blade, if you like the ones you're using. If my Cam 2 or 7 are any indication, it'll be a lifetime before I have to replace either. Of course, I do have the KA-BAR models, too...and, I've irreversibly altered my roll-stamped KB BK-7 and need to have a reference duplicate...

I'm generally of the opinion that Kabar's most recent versions are the best versions. But that's splitting hairs, and no dig on the Camillus models.

I think this answers it nicely.

Thanks for that link! It definitely went into some good minutia!

I think my take-away is I should buy KaBar versions, but it isn’t a rush as the differences are subtle.

The first one I think I should get is the BK-9. I have a feeling from what I read, that it may perform even better than the Camillus, which I think performs well! However, my Camillus BK-9 is unique as its STERILE! No markings whatsoever on it! Im not sure if it makes it somewhat a collectors item or not. Esp. since its been a great user! Camillus offered to exchange it for a marked one, but I chose to keep it.

If Ethan doesnt have any new models on the horizon, Ill start getting Kabar versions of these four.

Thanks for the input guys!

Yeah, I wouldn't go out of my way to BUY Cam versions. But use 'em if you've got 'em, they should be great knives.
Kabar has dialed in grind geometries, moved to a more robust marking method, smoothified coatings, skeletonized handles, etc. I think there are a lot of very good incremental improvements, which we wouldn't even think to talk about if Cam was still in full swing.

if you are the kind of person that worries about warranties? buy kabar

some of the camillus knives are thiccer? buy those if you care

the BK10 cammy imho, is one of the best things i'd want in my bag (i love it), the kabar one is pretty good, but i'd need to polish the grind, it just feel diff to me, can't explain.

MachAx? cammy all the way. or earlier. much earlier :D

if you want certain discontinued designs? cammy, kabar doesn't make them

magnum camp? older the better imho. reasons.

and so it goes... much the karbar lineup is solid, but some of the older models (esp pre cammy), are keen on my mind... kabar discontinued many models, so... there that is too.

The 11 is different: FFG and 1095. The Camillus version was saber grind, D2.
I figured out the sabre part pretty quickly..

The stock is a tiny bit thinner on the Camillus version...

Had NO IDEA it was D2?!

Might suggest why it was so challenging to grind it into a tiny clip point / Bowie!!! 🤔🤔😱😱😱

I won one here that had a rounded tip from a bad factory grind...

...So did what I thought Ethan should have done a long time ago... And made it into a Bowie / clip point...

BK-11 clip point

Used hand files to rough it in and a bit of a belt sander / grinding wheel and Dremel, I think....

I won one here that had a rounded tip from a bad factory grind...

...So did what I thought Ethan should have done a long time ago... And made it into a Bowie / clip point...

BK-11 clip point

Used hand files to rough it in and a bit of a belt sander / grinding wheel and Dremel, I think....
yFHMvOV.jpeg

I’m pretty sure that was from a GAW I did in 2019. Gave a few of them away. Didn’t even know they were D2.

I love what you did with that!
Indeed sir, it was!

Thanks! It was more work than anticipated, but I hadn't ever done anything like that before... So had nothing to compare it to.

It takes an amazing edge with a 20° convex worksharp belt sharpener.

A bit thinner stock and no coating makes a noticable difference.

It will go to one of my son's, when he gets into outdoors stuff, scouting, etc.

Indeed sir, it was!

Thanks! It was more work than anticipated, but I hadn't ever done anything like that before... So had nothing to compare it to.

It takes an amazing edge with a 20° convex worksharp belt sharpener.

A bit thinner stock and no coating makes a noticable difference.

It will go to one of my son's, when he gets into outdoors stuff, scouting, etc.
That’s awesome! I’m glad it has been shown so much love.

Back